mono kote verses econo cote

dredger2

I have heard that you can apply mono kote over econo cote but not econo cote over mono kote. does anyone know for sure?
I am building an EAA Biplane and have a metallic blue mono kote for it but want to put silver trim on the plane over the mono kote which is econo cote but don't want to if either is going to peel or not stick any suggestions? how about NeuCover instead of econo cote. I just purchased a roll and tried it on a piece of balsa wood and it seems to stick really well am thinking that it may be ok to use over Mono Kote covering. Just got back into building after some years gone by and used to use tissue and dope. Not used to the new covers and what works with what.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If there is a problem it may be due to the temperatures needed to stick or shrink. If those temps are about the same I would assume it would work, but if the temps are very different I can see it not working well. Check the temp ratings on the instructions.

It's the other way around. Econokote can go over Monokote. Monokote has a higher adhesion and shrink temperature. I have had good results putting Ekonokote over Monokote, but have melted Ekonokote with Monokote over the top.

dredger2

Econocoat over Monokote

you are right the econo coat will go over mono kote. the problem I am having is the econocoat is thin and likes to stick to its self. Next time I think I will for go the cost and use Mono kote on all the colors I am using.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Econokote was originally developed for sailplanes and smaller planes to save weight!! As already said, it works fine with monokote but it requires less temp to shrink/melt it--- I would probably stay with Monokote if you are looking for strength.