Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the reminder about that brown primer - I think I still have part of the can you gave me at Flite Fest and will dig that out next :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ok, back home again, put on the last bit of fiberglass on the fuselage, and epoxied in the rudder hinges...

20181020_233404-1820x1024.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That krylon sanding primer works great. Mist the first few coats as lightly as possible so it bonds well then once you have a solid color you can sand lightly and recoat as heavy as needed like filler primer.

I like it cause it covers well and even on light coats for fine work or goes on thick to fill imperfections but wont peel or crack if allowed to cure properly before going back to sanding.

I even used it on my guitar resto to eat into the remaining original color that was spotty after block sanding to get the dings and scratches out.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No pictures, but I did primer the top of the center wing panel and the rest of the fuselage, and get one aileron's hinge holes redrilled and ready for epoxy.

Next up is getting the other aileron ready, getting the ailerons installed, and then primer on the wing panels.

I do have a nice 3 colors of primer thing working right now - white, brown and gray. Looks sort of like my first car :cool:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hinges glued into one aileron and a coat of filler applied to one side of the vertical stab.

20181024_190833-1024x576.jpg

If I can get back into the shop after dinner I should be able to get the other aileron and filler on the other side of the stab.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Left aileron hinges epoxied into wing panel... this picture also shows the 1/4" gap between the end of the wing and the end of the aileron. Sure it might not look as fancy as being perfectly aligned, but when the wings are stored standing up on their end there won't be any pressure on the ailerons to rip out the hinges. Clever, right? :sneaky:
20181025_091251-1024x576.jpg

And filler sanded down on one side of the vert stab. Nice and smooth now. :)

20181025_092018-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is looking great, and the build log detailing is so very helpful to those of use who have yet to tackle Fiberglassing, and Sanding, filler coating, etc. Keep it up!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is looking great, and the build log detailing is so very helpful to those of use who have yet to tackle Fiberglassing, and Sanding, filler coating, etc. Keep it up!

You're welcome! :D That's one of the main reasons I like to do a detailed build thread. The other reason is so I can look back myself for both motivation, and to see what they heck I did on an old project before starting something similar. For example, I've started putting the bottle or can of whatever material I'm using in the shot so when I need to make repairs I can look back and see what color or brand I used in the build.

And with that in mind, here's my first new can of primer on this build (already emptied 3 partial cans).

The differences in surface finish here are a little surprising to me as this whole side was covered in filler which I then sanded down to level with the high spots on the fiberglass surface. It's smooth to run a finger across it, but visually there is a blotchy effect going on. I'm thinking to give it one more sanding down with 220 and then shoot a coat of the Sugar white to see what it looks like.

20181025_150937-1024x576.jpg

The bottom wing panel - with aileron installed - came out pretty darn good with minimal sanding so far. There is a little epoxy ripple in the bottom center of the picture that I'll try to mask a little better with a thin filler coat on the next round.

20181025_152122-1024x576.jpg

I do wish I had a better painting booth capability though. We are looking at 4 days of rain coming up and I really don't want to shoot too much inside the workshop.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's not a whole paint booth but it should help....

20181027_151156-1024x576.jpg

And yeah - I still had to abandon the shop after spraying the primer coat - but it's progress still! I could see the overspray rolling off the back of the wing and up into the plastic.

20181027_151541-1024x576.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's the last piece all primered up!
20181027_203940-1024x576.jpg

Next up is lots of sanding, a little more filler, and then a base coat of white on everything.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sanding on the vertical stab. Wire brush to clear the sandpaper from getting gunked up with primer smooge. Then shop brush off the dust, and a wipe down with isopropol alcohol completes the prep work.

20181027_221619-1024x576.jpg

And a coat of Ironlak Sugar Vanilla white paint. I think it will need a second light coat for complete coverage when it's dry, and then after a day of curing it'll be ready for masking and the gray camo pattern.

20181027_222358-1024x576.jpg

JTarmstr

Elite member
Sanding on the vertical stab. Wire brush to clear the sandpaper from getting gunked up with primer smooge. Then shop brush off the dust, and a wipe down with isopropol alcohol completes the prep work.

View attachment 117649
And a coat of Ironlak Sugar Vanilla white paint. I think it will need a second light coat for complete coverage when it's dry, and then after a day of curing it'll be ready for masking and the gray camo pattern.

View attachment 117650

How will you work up the nerve to fly this? I would be scared even to taxi something with so much work in it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
How will you work up the nerve to fly this? I would be scared even to taxi something with so much work in it.

yeah... about that...

I was thinking I'd do a maiden flight before doing finish paint just to make sure it would fly OK so I'd have fewer hours of time invested in it.

But instead I think I'm going with the strategy of "if I finish it first I can at least have purty pictures before I pile it into a tree".

Getting up the nerve to fly her? I'll just remind myself that if I crash it badly, I'll have extra room in my hangar for a new plane - or three :p