Monster Spitfire

william Metge

So I have been working on the plans for a monster spitfire and I had a few issues I need to figure out.

My first problem is that one of the fuselage pieces would be too big to fit on one sheet of foam, does anyone know what angle the line needs to be cut at to make it strait on the plane?

Second, I don't have a laser cutter and I don't want to print 150 some odd sheets of paper and cut all that out by hand, does anybody know of a better (more efficient) way to way to print the plans, or know of a store that prints large scale prints like this? I only need sizes up to 20x30.

Finally, has anyone else tried this before? If so do you have any suggestions?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So I have been working on the plans for a monster spitfire and I had a few issues I need to figure out.

My first problem is that one of the fuselage pieces would be too big to fit on one sheet of foam, does anyone know what angle the line needs to be cut at to make it strait on the plane?

Second, I don't have a laser cutter and I don't want to print 150 some odd sheets of paper and cut all that out by hand, does anybody know of a better (more efficient) way to way to print the plans, or know of a store that prints large scale prints like this? I only need sizes up to 20x30.

Finally, has anyone else tried this before? If so do you have any suggestions?
So I work at a sign shop and print all of my plans full scale on PET film, it is fairly inexpensive material and in the end your pattern pieces will last basically forever , should be able to get a local Sign/Vinyl shop to do this for you fairly inexpensively

william Metge

So I work at a sign shop and print all of my plans full scale on PET film, it is fairly inexpensive material and in the end your pattern pieces will last basically forever , should be able to get a local Sign/Vinyl shop to do this for you fairly inexpensively
I will try that, thanks!

OliverW

Legendary member
Metal gear 9g's most certainly won't hold up either. On a plane that size you're going to want a standard size servo. Since it is a foamboard plane that won't be putting a lot of stress on the servos, I think Hitec 422's would be your best bet for a cheap servo that'll do the job

william Metge

Metal gear 9g's most certainly won't hold up either. On a plane that size you're going to want a standard size servo. Since it is a foamboard plane that won't be putting a lot of stress on the servos, I think Hitec 422's would be your best bet for a cheap servo that'll do the job
OK I am getting some metal geared 22g servos for another project, so I might just use those, thanks! (I kind of expected 9g's to be too little, worth a shot.)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I agree with Squirreltail, 9 grams will not be enough. I was gonna suggest 12 gram metal gear servos but squirreltail knows what he is talking about and if he says go bigger then that’s a good idea.

william Metge

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the piece that is too large to fit on a sheet of foam, should I slice a strait line, or should I figure out an angle to slice it at?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the piece that is too large to fit on a sheet of foam, should I slice a strait line, or should I figure out an angle to slice it at?
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean cutting the piece of foam out at an angle or does "slice it" mean something else?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Also if I understand the question right this was addressed in the monster plane vid. You can cut it out in two pieces and stick them together with glue and tape. Kinda like how we stick two wing halves together before doing the fold over.
It's in this vid between the 1 and 2 minute mark somewhere. I would watch the whole thing though.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
i think he means that the piece won't fit on 1 sheet of foam
Well I knew that, what I was asking about is what he meant by "slice it". Like if he means slicing out the part or if there is some part of the plane that he has to slice into for some reason. I assumed that he just meant cutting out the part for my last reply though.

william Metge

Well I knew that, what I was asking about is what he meant by "slice it". Like if he means slicing out the part or if there is some part of the plane that he has to slice into for some reason. I assumed that he just meant cutting out the part for my last reply though.
The piece that won't fit is a fuselage piece and I don't want weird angles on the fuselage. But I don't know what angles to cut them at.

william Metge

Also if I understand the question right this was addressed in the monster plane vid. You can cut it out in two pieces and stick them together with glue and tape. Kinda like how we stick two wing halves together before doing the fold over.
It's in this vid between the 1 and 2 minute mark somewhere. I would watch the whole thing though.
Oh, that would actually work. Thank you!