Scale up Simple Stick to 60" wing span

jack10525

Hello All,

I am trying to scale up the FT simple stick to a 60" wingspan. I think this would be about 150%. When I try to print the plans at this size I don't get all plans. Some of the lines are off the page. Can someone explain how to scale up plans step by step. I'm just not getting it.

jack10525

I found a 67" wingspan ugly stick on value hobby. This might be the best way to go if I can find electronics cheap. The suggested ones are way too expensive.

Draftman1

I haven’t quite finished it

Tench745

Master member
Hello All,

I am trying to scale up the FT simple stick to a 60" wingspan. I think this would be about 150%. When I try to print the plans at this size I don't get all plans. Some of the lines are off the page. Can someone explain how to scale up plans step by step. I'm just not getting it.
When enlarging plans, I find it best to start with the Full Page plans, not the tiled plans. In the Simple Stick plan set I have, the full page plans are pages 7, 8, and 9.
Open in Adobe Acrobat, click File, Print.
1708991864032.png
In the print dialog box tell it which pages to print (7-9). Then, under Page Sizing and Handling, click Poster. Where it says "Tile Scale" change that to whatever scaling you want, 150 in your case. Acrobat will tile the page appropriately and print.

Keep in mind that this will enlarge everything to that 150%, so all the cutouts for the folds will now be 50% wider than the thickness of a sheet of foam board, so you'll need to adapt accordingly.

quorneng

Master member
Also remember that what is strong enough at 100% may not be at 150%.
Success using the same material will depend on much much "reserve" the original design had in both bending and twisting.

TheRealSeal

When enlarging plans, I find it best to start with the Full Page plans, not the tiled plans. In the Simple Stick plan set I have, the full page plans are pages 7, 8, and 9.
Open in Adobe Acrobat, click File, Print.
View attachment 242780
In the print dialog box tell it which pages to print (7-9). Then, under Page Sizing and Handling, click Poster. Where it says "Tile Scale" change that to whatever scaling you want, 150 in your case. Acrobat will tile the page appropriately and print.

Keep in mind that this will enlarge everything to that 150%, so all the cutouts for the folds will now be 50% wider than the thickness of a sheet of foam board, so you'll need to adapt accordingly.
Sorry to revive this old-ish thread but is there a better/more efficient way to tile the full size plans? I'm looking at scaling up the Master Series Mustang by about 20% and its going to come out to be 144 pages. The original plans are tiled to 60 pages at 100% so something is horribly wrong.

Piotrsko

Master member
You know they are standard paper pages? 8.5 x11? Bigger sheets would have more space so the count would be lower. "C" size paper might be just 3 sheets, but needs a flatbed printer.

TheRealSeal

You know they are standard paper pages? 8.5 x11? Bigger sheets would have more space so the count would be lower. "C" size paper might be just 3 sheets, but needs a flatbed printer.
The original scale A-tile plans uses 60 sheets of 8.5x11. When I use the method stated above, trying to tile the full size planes at 118% jumps the page count up to 144 sheets of 8.5x11. This is horribly inefficient, so I’m wondering if there’s a better way to tile the printing after scaling up the plans.

quorneng

Master member
You may have to alter the way you tile print so you can tile print only a selected area of the plan or even print individual pages carefully selected so they can be taped together to give a plan of the area you need.
A bit labour intensive but there is no limit to the degree of "blow up".
Its what I do.

Tench745

Master member
Sorry to revive this old-ish thread but is there a better/more efficient way to tile the full size plans? I'm looking at scaling up the Master Series Mustang by about 20% and its going to come out to be 144 pages. The original plans are tiled to 60 pages at 100% so something is horribly wrong.
I don't know of a more efficient way to tile, unfortunately. The one downside of Acrobat is that certain sizes of image leave giant margins in the "poster" setting.
Might be worth taking it to a print company and having them print it on a large format printer instead of tiled. Staples offers single-color engineering prints for a semi-reasonable fee. I have heard independent print shops can be even cheaper and nice to work with.