More Helicopters :)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
There are newer Heli episodes. I don't feel like re-looking them up, but two come to mind. The last one had the scale Heli that included a sound box / audio system and two action figure like pilots. (A reference to it was made in the FF recap episode.) Then there was a review of a micro scale black hawk?

But I think there are only a total of about 6 heli episodes. Not many. Not many at all. FT needs to find a Heli guy to do Heli reviews and tips with. Or maybe have one of the current regulars learn helis more seriously and go the noob/tips route.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
There are newer Heli episodes. I don't feel like re-looking them up, but two come to mind. The last one had the scale Heli that included a sound box / audio system and two action figure like pilots. (A reference to it was made in the FF recap episode.) Then there was a review of a micro scale black hawk?

But I think there are only a total of about 6 heli episodes. Not many. Not many at all. FT needs to find a Heli guy to do Heli reviews and tips with. Or maybe have one of the current regulars learn helis more seriously and go the noob/tips route.

Scale flying is around 5% of the heli world.
The rest is 3D.

It seems like they are doing heli episodes based on who they can get to feature, not what the audience wants to see... :/

Heck, fly me out to Ohio and I'll record a months worth of episodes for you guys!

C_E

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKqSMPNcuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as4-sPtJn1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBWFontHPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59obHqA15U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72evW9DHAWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R_TL18Yr8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtAYSv0rZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdsdQjPjfY

In chronological order. That's 8 eps in 4 years, or one heli ep every half year. Actually one of them I hadn't seen yet :p.
I think it would help to have an episode with the new 200SRX from Blade, and actually explain how helicopters work, rather than just taking them up. Josh was explaining it in one of the eps while he was flying, and I understood everything but I'm pretty sure beginners wouldn't...

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Heck, fly me out to Ohio and I'll record a months worth of episodes for you guys!

C_E

Same here! :p
I don't fly scale, but I'm not much of a 3D pilot either. I can do my circuits forward, backwards, sideways, inverted forward, working on inverted backwards, tic-tocs and autorotations (who says a heli doesn't have a glide slope?!) :p

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Not sure, but aren't helis quite expensive, a lot harder to learn and difficult to repair compared to fixed wings and MR?

That might be a reason why they don't have a lot of heli stuff, it's just not that beginner friendly.

rcspaceflight

I don't expect Flite Test to make a third of their episodes Heli episodes. But maybe one every two months. Six a year sounds like enough. Better than their 8 over the past 3 years.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I think FT should have more quality than quantity.

Those 8 episodes are absolutely useless for anyone who wants to start in the world of helis.

Seriously.....

C_E

rcspaceflight

Are we talking about a beginner's series for Helis? Not 10 episodes like the original beginner's series. I guess I can't really throw out a number of episodes. But maybe 3-5. An intro to Helis. Basics of flying it (similar to the how to fly a MR episode). Then a more complex how to fly a Heli. Maybe basic 3D moves. The intro to Helis would explain all of the parts. Maybe 2 episodes for that. The basics and then the more complex stuff to know.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Not sure, but aren't helis quite expensive, a lot harder to learn and difficult to repair compared to fixed wings and MR?

That might be a reason why they don't have a lot of heli stuff, it's just not that beginner friendly.

And FPV is cheap...

Define 'harder to repair', I started with a multiplex acromaster foamie (indeed I shouldn't have done that... :face) and I had a hard time fixing it. That made me go back to my helicopters: I know what I was doing, if something is broken or a shaft is bent, just get a replacement part, put it in there and done. I can't buy a new fuselage every time the nose of the foamie is busted!
Yeah there are methods to fix that... All I'm saying it's different than fixing a plane, but not necessarily harder.

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
My blade has been a snap to fix when it actually needs it. Typically it just bounces. It also cost me $120 RTF

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Actually Josh has said that they don't feature them more often, is because he (and the rest of the crew) isn't a heli guy. I think he's mentioned in a podcast or two that since he's not that familiar with them, they just haven't featured them on the show often.

rcspaceflight

Actually Josh has said that they don't feature them more often, is because he (and the rest of the crew) isn't a heli guy. I think he's mentioned in a podcast or two that since he's not that familiar with them, they just haven't featured them on the show often.

Not to sound mean, but Flite Test is a job. It may be a fun job, but still a job. Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't want to do when working. Which is why it's called work. :p

But it shouldn't be hard for FT to find someone locally that knows enough about Helis to come in once a month to do an episode. FT could probably give someone a Heli and say "fly this for a week, keep it in flyable shape, and we'll record a review of your opinion on it." :D

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Interesting view...

Since Flite Test is a job, then what is their product? You might say the videos, but they don't sell the videos. What they sell is laser cut foam, and multi rotor kits. As I understand it, that's where the actual money that keeps the show running comes from.

Why then invest in producing shows about a topic they know little about, or even less financially sound, hire someone to come in an promote a segment of the hobby that they do not market?

(I'm not saying they shouldn't have more helicopter content, and in fact, I have it on good authority they've been discussing adding more. But since you pointed out that Flite Test is a "job", from a business viewpoint, I am curious as to what advantage you see adding more helicopter content would be.)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Not to sound mean, but Flite Test is a job. It may be a fun job, but still a job. Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't want to do when working. Which is why it's called work. :p

But it shouldn't be hard for FT to find someone locally that knows enough about Helis to come in once a month to do an episode. FT could probably give someone a Heli and say "fly this for a week, keep it in flyable shape, and we'll record a review of your opinion on it." :D

rspaceflight, I hope this does not sound snarky, as it is not meant to be...

To your quote "Not to sound mean, but Flite Test is a job. It may be a fun job, but still a job. Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't want to do when working. Which is why it's called work."

These guys are providing all of us free content. They are making money selling their kits for profit. If you do not want to support them, don't. There are free plans and videos on how to build the content they provide.

Please do not think I am trying to put you down, just wanting to remind everyone here that they started this because of the love of flying and wanting to share their passion and making memories.

They do say that they are not heli experts, so they will not be providing much content on them.

Sorry if it is not your cup of tea, but I like what they are doing and hope they continue...

Mike

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think Monkey's right. Plus there is already plenty of in depth videos on learning to fly heli's and fixing them. And frankly, even though I have and sort of fly heli's, I'm not interested in cutting into the entertainment we already enjoy.