Motor advice needed :HELP

So I’m making a racer style foam board p51d based off of the ft racer and ft mustang. The thing I’m doing differently though is I’m creating a complete skin around the plane to make it look more realistic and to reduce the flat angles on the surface of the wings and create a better lift surface. I’m thinking of creating the skin out of posterboard and then coating it in a lightweight resin that I could pull pull off and create fibreglass or paper pulp and resin replacement parts easily. My main problem is the resin and paper are going to add weight which I can remove from the original foam board model underneath but it is going to be a bit heavy and I need to know what motor to use. I’d like to use this plane as a racer and do high speed aerobatics so I know I’ll need more power than the regular ft racer or mustang come with. The plane should be able to withstand ALOT more power as all the flight surfaces are going to be proper airfoil shapes even the tail section so control will be substantially better than having a standard flat foam board tail... hopefully.... any help on motor ideas or full power pack combos would be greatly appreciated. First time poster here have come from high end scale modeling to rc. Watched every flight test video in the span of 2 weeks

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I’m making a racer style foam board p51d based off of the ft racer and ft mustang. The thing I’m doing differently though is I’m creating a complete skin around the plane to make it look more realistic and to reduce the flat angles on the surface of the wings and create a better lift surface. I’m thinking of creating the skin out of posterboard and then coating it in a lightweight resin that I could pull pull off and create fibreglass or paper pulp and resin replacement parts easily. My main problem is the resin and paper are going to add weight which I can remove from the original foam board model underneath but it is going to be a bit heavy and I need to know what motor to use. I’d like to use this plane as a racer and do high speed aerobatics so I know I’ll need more power than the regular ft racer or mustang come with. The plane should be able to withstand ALOT more power as all the flight surfaces are going to be proper airfoil shapes even the tail section so control will be substantially better than having a standard flat foam board tail... hopefully.... any help on motor ideas or full power pack combos would be greatly appreciated. First time poster here have come from high end scale modeling to rc. Watched every flight test video in the span of 2 weeks

What’s your budget? If you can afford it, the rimfire .15 3536 1200kv motor would be an awesome choice. You can run it on 4s and a 10x7 prop and it’ll be an absolute rocket.
I will second the Rimfire option of coarse, I think I started the Rimfire revolution of three or four lol. But on the other side of the if the Rimfire is not your thing, then what you want to look for when it comes to speed is a motor with a higher KV, like 1200 or higher. There are a couple reasons for this. 1200 is a nice happy area that plays nice with the 3s and 4s options. The nice thing about a higher Kv then 1200 is you can still use a lighter 3s battery yet get 4s type of performance, its kinda cheating. And there are people who might disagree, but there is more then one way to skin a cat. I like to cheat the system on 3s because 3s batts are cheaper generally the 4s, more so when things go south, and they will when you add speed, exponentially. Given the higher RPM whether it is from more voltage or a higher Kv motor you will need more ESC then stock as well. Now you also need to consider the prop too, size and pitch, and pitch more then size will work the ESC harder. Given the size of the Mustang you will be able to easily use 9" props on the slower side and if you want to go nuts you can do 8" at the top end.

I like speed so keep us posted, build pics and maiden vids, or it didnt happen