Motor/ESC connections

shanecfi

Hello all,

I am not new to RC in general, but my experience is in Classic Pattern. All Glow up to now. I have picked up several of the Quick build kits. The mini's and the swappable three plane package. I have built the swappables and their power pods. My difficulty lies in the motor to ESC conncetors. I can solder fairly well. IMHO What I have a problem with is the ultra small size of the bullet connectors. I think they are 2mm. They are very difficult to press together. Not to mention I can't see the darn things, unless I look though my magnifying lap, with my 2x safety glasses on. My question is this: Can i use larger conncetors than what the amps call for? Like say a 3.5. or 4mm when the wire fits snuggly in a 2mm? I know for the bigger gauaged wire I can, but the minis and swappables use very small gauge wires on the motors. The bigger (3.5 and 4mm) have a larger solder cup in relation the the wise size. Is it ok to have a large pool of solder holding that small of a wire in place? Or is there a better option than bullet conncetors. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the input!!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can certainly use the larger connectors, the only drawback, if the solder points are done correctly, is the extra weight of the larger connectors.