MOTOR MOUNT ALIGNMENT?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ok, here is another question I think I know the answer to, but I needed some validation...

I am trying to figure out how to center the motor mount for the Great Planes Taylorcraft 20 and it seems the directions call for connecting the outside dots to find the center to mount the motor. But, when I connect the dots, the center is not in the center of the mount. I think this is because the mount is angled sideways to counter p factor and so the prop center is different then the motor center. Am I making sense? Here is pictures of the instructions and my motor mounted according to the directions.

IMG_0175.PNG

The real center point is the solid dot in the middle, the directions center is the small circle where the lines meet.
FullSizeRender.jpg

My motor temporarily mounted with clamp on the directions center.
122.jpg

Motor and mount held up to the plans and it looks like it is mounted the correct way according to the directions.
123.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I would guess that moving the motor off center will let the propshaft be centered properly in the cowl.

Tench745

Master member
Yes, the offcenter mark for the motor allows you to put in a specific amount of downthrust and sidethrust and keep the prop centered in the cowl.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right before drilling holes.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Perfect!

Got the firewall installed, and using the motor mount template, managed to center the motor perfectly at the offset angle for exact motor alignment for the cowling and airframe.

IMG_3123.JPG