Willie Nilles Tiger 250 help?

DaveWave

This is my second WN build and I am stuck on how the center section should go together.

I am confused by the two different ribs that are not like any others .
One has holes and the other has a cutout for a spar? (upper right)

Two half ribs seem to have cutouts for what? (center right).

A picture would be great if somebody has one...

I tried emailing Doug and posting on his forum, but no response yet...

St1.jpg

Bricks

Master member
?
Did you download the PDF file for the wing build from the WN forum where you posted the same question

DaveWave

I did. It is for a different wing with a very different lay out for the the center section.

I can see some thought went into the parts / design and I just don't want to hack it together.

DaveWave

No, AFAIK the servos are mounted in rib cutouts not in the pictures ala the normal wing design. These cutouts seem to fit the spar carry through, but the gap is way too wide....

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Those two ribs are the root ribs for each wing panel. Only one panel gets a rib with extra holes. They are there to allow you to better wick glue into the wing joint. The opening between the spar notches is indeed for the ply wing joiner. It is a bit of a loose fit to the ribs so that you have some wiggle room to ensure the panels are aligned. The spars will stand proud of the rib edges as they will flush out with the sheeting once applied.

DaveWave

Thanks for that....

Can you ID these mystery parts as well....The rib contour seems to match the wing profile...

Attachments

• ST3.JPG
    ST3.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 0

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Thanks for that....

Can you ID these mystery parts as well....The rib contour seems to match the wing profile...
I am not 100% sure as I haven't built the Tiger but other WN kits. The airfoil shaped pieces look to be wing saddle doublers for inside the fuse. The notched section at ghe TE I would assume holds a ply plate for a wing bolt. Not sure about the other two. Maybe doublers on the nose for inside the cheeks.
Screenshot_20231204_231550_Chrome.jpg

DaveWave

Right on the money...They do follow the cowl outline, and the wing pieces go inside the fuse and form a pocket to hold the ply plate that has the wing bolt blind-nut.

Now the question is what does the forward dowel fit into (on the other kits there was a ply former with a hole. Nothing like that in this kit.

Secondly, how does the back of the wing go together? I am talking about where the bolt goes through the wing.

The plate with one small hole does not seem to line up with nut plate in the fuse.

The one with three holes is the nut plate.

The part with the dowel is the forward mounting peg.

Two small ply parts and the one with cutouts and holes I have no idea....

Attachments

• st4.JPG
    st4.JPG
    716.9 KB · Views: 0

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Parts as laid out...

top - nose wheel wire doubler
2nd row left - servo mount rail
2nd row right - fuselage bulkhead that is installed at the leading edge of the wing cut out.
3rd row left - rear wing mount that blind nut goes through. Glued to fuselage
3rd row right - servo mount rail

attached document is for the main landing gear patterns and rib layout.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Attachments

• Sky Tiger 250 Landing Gear Patterns 10-20-21 Rev 1.pdf
    831.7 KB · Views: 0

DaveWave

Thanks for the info. The forward bulkhead now makes sense. I swear I saw somebody using it to hold the blind nut.

How does the back part if the wing go together? I figured out the two pieces that butt against the rear spar, but that looks pretty weak to be putting a bolt through. Is there something besides the two butt jointed parts (you can see them in the picture at the TE center of the wing.

How is the power with the spec1306? I have a 2205 that came out of my defunct Barnstormer I was eyeing; it was overkill (but a lot of fun)!

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
The back part goes together, just as you have it laid out. It is more than adequate for all flight modes, There is surprisingly little load at that attach point.

The 1306 is more than adequate. The 1407 motor we carry is the max you want to go with - on 3s it has unlimited vertical.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

DaveWave

Thanks to the help with the wing, I am now starting on the fuselage . I seem to be missing the F4 bulkhead. The Barnstormer kit had one. I have triple checked my table and do not see anything that resembles what F4 should Iook like. It this an issue with the kit?

DaveWave

On the sheet that had the other formers, there is a big square that was unused. I assume was for the missing former, so it looks like I am going to have to draft up a suitable replacement and hand cut it.

Does anybody know what the notch cut out on the top of the fuselage is for?
ST5.JPG
. It is right where the stab mounts (not the exits for the pushrods).

Willy Nillies

Elite member
F3 and F4 bulkheads are both on the same laser cut sheet as the fuselage sides.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Thanks to the help with the wing, I am now starting on the fuselage . I seem to be missing the F4 bulkhead. The Barnstormer kit had one. I have triple checked my table and do not see anything that resembles what F4 should Iook like. It this an issue with

On the sheet that had the other formers, there is a big square that was unused. I assume was for the missing former, so it looks like I am going to have to draft up a suitable replacement and hand cut it.

Does anybody know what the notch cut out on the top of the fuselage is for? View attachment 241313 . It is right where the stab mounts (not the exits for the pushrods).
The rectangle with no cut outs is the battery hatch.

The notch - there will be a small rectangle piece that fits across and gets glued in.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Thanks to the help with the wing, I am now starting on the fuselage . I seem to be missing the F4 bulkhead. The Barnstormer kit had one. I have triple checked my table and do not see anything that resembles what F4 should Iook like. It this an issue with the kit?

f3 amd f4 are on the same sheet as the fuselage sides.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

DaveWave

I finally found the former under my build board, no idea how it got there.....

Anyhow, what is the purpose of the notch at the end of the fuse?

Any hints for accurately drilling the hole for the TE hold down screw?

The wing bolt former ply piece needs a couple holes in it to be able to get the servo screws in....

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Anyhow, what is the purpose of the notch at the end of the fuse?
There is a stress riser at that point of the fuselage when you do a cartwheel style landing. This little piece of cross grain distributes the stresses from that type of crash, eliminating a broken fuselage at that point in most cases.

Any hints for accurately drilling the hole for the TE hold down screw?

Once wing and fuse are built and blind nut is installed. Lightly screw in the wing bolt all the way. Insert wing onto fuselage. Align/square wing using painters tape. Once satisfied it's aligned properly, gentle squeeze the trailing edge of the wing down onto the screw head. This will leave an indent on the upper trailing edge that you can use as a guide to drill the hole accurately.

The wing bolt former ply piece needs a couple holes in it to be able to get the servo screws in....

We normally just glue the servos in.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Willy Nillies

Elite member
CG is center of the main spar. Front edge of spar for beginner/first flights and aft edge for experiened/aerobatic flight.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com