Motor mount screws

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Where do y’all guys get your motor mount screws, I belly land all my planes so if I have a rough landing it will sometimes pop my motor off loosing the screws, after I run out of them I have been using the longer screws that come with the servoes. What do y’all use. Anywhere to buy more screws ( the servoe screws don’t work the best.)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
you should be able to order packs of what ever size bolt they are from your preferred bolt supply store. The different motors use different bolt sizes. I think the ones I have are m1.5 or m2 bolts.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I need the screws that holds the motor to the firewall. And as far as I know there’s no store around me that has anything that minuscule.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I need the screws that holds the motor to the firewall. And as far as I know there’s no store around me that has anything that minuscule.
try your local dollar store, I personally use M2 nuts and bolts with a washer on each side of the firewall and use a little bit of locktite so that the nut doesn't loosen over time and use. But if your dollar storesare anything like around where I live you'll probably find something to work for you

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I like the bolt and nut idea, seems like it would work better than the screws, would strip out easily.

tomlogan1

Elite member
I use 4-40 screws with flat washers and nylon core nuts. I get them at Ace Hardware. The washer gives a greater support area and the nylon core nuts do not seem to be affected by the direction of the prop. Important if you are building twin motor craft.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
You put the washer on the back? And is this a screw or a bolt? And yes at the moment I am building a twin engine, although I was planning on using the screws that come with the motor.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You put the washer on the back? And is this a screw or a bolt? And yes at the moment I am building a twin engine, although I was planning on using the screws that come with the motor.

screws have a pointy tip, bolts are flat... are you sure your motor came with screws?

Confused. What am I missing here?
What are we using nuts for if we're bolting through from the back of the firewall into the motor?
Or are we mounting to an X-mount and fixing that to the firewall?

Mounting an x mount to a firewall with nuts and screws gives a very strong installation as the screws are less likely to pull out.
Wow you guys with bigger planes have a lot to worry about!
Here's what I've been doing. 1106 motor, really tiny. X-mount made from a servo horn. The plywood is 3/32". 1/16" would be plenty strong enough but I want more wood for the screws to bite into. The firewall is .8" square. Gorilla Glue to mount the firewall to the plane, drilled to drive pretty large "fancy" toothpicks through. The toothpicks are CA'd to the firewall and Gorilla glued around 3/4" into the foam. You can just see the end of one there. I will never have one of these fail.

IMG_1902.jpg

Last edited:

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
What planes that on? And yeah the motor I’m putting on bases is bigger than your servo horn x mount🤣 bigger planes r way cooler tho although small planes r almost funer.😂

What planes that on? And yeah the motor I’m putting on bases is bigger than your servo horn x mount🤣 bigger planes r way cooler tho although small planes r almost funer.😂
It's my yellow simple twin that doesn't have a name. 28" wingspan. I just finished the wiring. Finally time to plug it all in and hope nothing smokes! I think there's supposed to be some wind tomorrow. Hopefully I can fly it next weekend.

IMG_1897.jpg