Turbojoe

Elite member
Going back to your first post I have to ask the obvious question: What is your R/C flight experience? Are you 100% proficient flying small high performance aircraft with high wing loading? If not then the P-51 is absolutely the worst choice you could make for your next plane. The Mustang is pretty but it's also pretty bad as a plane to try to fly before you're ready for it. Don't use heavy stuff just because you have it or because you can get it cheap. Get what you NEED to ensure a flight rather than a crash. This ain't a trainer and it will bite you in the a$$ at every chance. Don't give it any chances.

Joe

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Good advice. What's the weight I should be aiming for with this plane? I just weighed it with everything I have right now, it was at 11.55 ounces with a 1300 mah 3s. I do have a smaller esc, I weighed it with the 35a because I didn;t feel like unwrapping it at the moment. If the retracts really become an issue I did manage to find a UK based retailer that still carries the gws ones for £9 (plus £9 to ship to the US), or I could just use fixed gear. I'm also thinking about ordering some ultracote for the wings and rest of the fuselage, that should save a few ounces and I can use the rest for another project.
As for my own flight experience I'm really just building this one for the sake of building it, I wanted to get a feel for balsa building and so far I definitely like it more than foam. I'll definitely be flying foamies for the foreseeable future though, I'll fly the Mustang when I feel like I can handle a "small high performance aircraft with high wing loading." I'll probably try to build a cheap foamy trainer for it.

Legendary member
Good advice. What's the weight I should be aiming for with this plane? I just weighed it with everything I have right now, it was at 11.55 ounces with a 1300 mah 3s. I do have a smaller esc, I weighed it with the 35a because I didn;t feel like unwrapping it at the moment. If the retracts really become an issue I did manage to find a UK based retailer that still carries the gws ones for £9 (plus £9 to ship to the US), or I could just use fixed gear. I'm also thinking about ordering some ultracote for the wings and rest of the fuselage, that should save a few ounces and I can use the rest for another project.
As for my own flight experience I'm really just building this one for the sake of building it, I wanted to get a feel for balsa building and so far I definitely like it more than foam. I'll definitely be flying foamies for the foreseeable future though, I'll fly the Mustang when I feel like I can handle a "small high performance aircraft with high wing loading." I'll probably try to build a cheap foamy trainer for it.
Scratch what I said about ultracote, I just realized it's heavier than monokote. Looking for alternatives now.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Scratch what I said about ultracote, I just realized it's heavier than monokote. Looking for alternatives now.

Smart move! Now that Solarfilm is no longer available UltraCote has become my preferred covering but NEVER on a plane as small as the MM Mustang. It would crush it into balsa dust. There are so many "Lite" covering films on the market now and I haven't used enough to recommend any over the stash of Solite that I still have in my stock.

Google the MM Mustang and you'll see the heartbreaks many have suffered trying the old GWS retracts when they made less than perfect landings. The gear always broke on them. Even if you find the gear for sale don't waste your money. This kit was meant for proficient pilots flying from very smooth runways. If you will be building for display (I do that too with 100% flyable aircraft) then just go with fixed gear. Make it pretty and display it with pride! (y)

Joe

Legendary member
Smart move! Now that Solarfilm is no longer available UltraCote has become my preferred covering but NEVER on a plane as small as the MM Mustang. It would crush it into balsa dust. There are so many "Lite" covering films on the market now and I haven't used enough to recommend any over the stash of Solite that I still have in my stock.

Google the MM Mustang and you'll see the heartbreaks many have suffered trying the old GWS retracts when they made less than perfect landings. The gear always broke on them. Even if you find the gear for sale don't waste your money. This kit was meant for proficient pilots flying from very smooth runways. If you will be building for display (I do that too with 100% flyable aircraft) then just go with fixed gear. Make it pretty and display it with pride! (y)

Joe
I'm thinking about giving parklite a try. I also did some rough calculations to add the parts I didn't weigh, it looks like it should turn out around 15-16 ounces. Mountain Models advertises the weight as 15-19.5 ounces, so it should be fine if I'm careful.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I think I have some of the Parklite covering. Not sure if I've used any though. I'm convinced that if it's marketed as a "Lite" film it is all re branded stuff that came from the same place and it wasn't the originator Nelson., The originator of Solite and SolarFilm. JUST my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I may have a set of the old GWS blue retracts somewhere. I'll dig around to see if I can find them. I'm having tons of fun designing things to use the 3D printer for. It would be cool if I could make some stronger parts for those gear. Don't hold your breath though. My 4 bedroom house is like a well stocked but poorly inventoried hobby shop. I'll look tomorrow and if I get lucky I'll find the GWS gear. If I find the gear I'll see if I can update them. Again, don't hold your breath. ;)

Joe

Legendary member
With Planes of Fame's annual volunteer model contest approaching I've decided to revisit this project, after all it will be painted after one of the more prominent aircraft the museum owns. Turboejoe brought up a great point about my flying skill, I'm in no way experienced enough to fly a model like this yet. I've hardly flown much of anything at all actually. That being said I'm going to build this as a static model for now and add the electronics when I feel I'm ready to fly it, which all depends on when I end up building something that actually works.
Due to some parts being no longer available I'll have to diverge from the planned parts list somewhat. Instead of Solite I'm going to give Parklite a try. It is slightly heavier than Solite but I don't have many other options and it is somewhat stronger, and it isn't a full-weight covering that'll crush the frame.
I'm also considering omitting the landing gear and flying it as a belly lander. This should cut weight down significantly and make it a much simpler model mechanically, although it does raise some concerns. Landing on grass shouldn't be an issue but I am concerned about possibly damaging the frame by landing this way, does anyone have any feedback? I'm going to reinforce the center belly area on the wing with some light balsa to ensure grass or twigs don't tear through the belly.

Do note, I haven't ordered the Parklite yet. I'm waiting to see what y'all have to say on it.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
With Planes of Fame's annual volunteer model contest approaching I've decided to revisit this project, after all it will be painted after one of the more prominent aircraft the museum owns. Turboejoe brought up a great point about my flying skill, I'm in no way experienced enough to fly a model like this yet. I've hardly flown much of anything at all actually. That being said I'm going to build this as a static model for now and add the electronics when I feel I'm ready to fly it, which all depends on when I end up building something that actually works.
Due to some parts being no longer available I'll have to diverge from the planned parts list somewhat. Instead of Solite I'm going to give Parklite a try. It is slightly heavier than Solite but I don't have many other options and it is somewhat stronger, and it isn't a full-weight covering that'll crush the frame.
I'm also considering omitting the landing gear and flying it as a belly lander. This should cut weight down significantly and make it a much simpler model mechanically, although it does raise some concerns. Landing on grass shouldn't be an issue but I am concerned about possibly damaging the frame by landing this way, does anyone have any feedback? I'm going to reinforce the center belly area on the wing with some light balsa to ensure grass or twigs don't tear through the belly.

Do note, I haven't ordered the Parklite yet. I'm waiting to see what y'all have to say on it.
I love parklite! I have covered 3 planes with it. It is the easiest covering to use!
20200203_193016.jpg

I love parklite! I have covered 3 planes with it. It is the easiest covering to use! View attachment 156899
Personally, I don't like Parklite because of its translucency that you can see in the pic. You can see that the burnt edges show through and it also shows glue and filler. So you have to do a heavy job of sanding to get a uniform color and use the darkest colors to go over filler. I've only used the yellow and black and at least black was opague.

I also had trouble when doing my initial tack downs that the covering puckers and the puckers stay as the adhesive was activated. But I think both these complaints are not be unique to Parklite. I've heard similar things about other lightweight coverings.

OliverW

Legendary member
Personally, I don't like Parklite because of its translucency that you can see in the pic. You can see that the burnt edges show through and it also shows glue and filler. So you have to do a heavy job of sanding to get a uniform color and use the darkest colors to go over filler. I've only used the yellow and black and at least black was opague.

I also had trouble when doing my initial tack downs that the covering puckers and the puckers stay as the adhesive was activated. But I think both these complaints are not be unique to Parklite. I've heard similar things about other lightweight coverings.
I find it is exactly the same as ultracote with how it goes around corners and shrinks

Legendary member

I find it is exactly the same as ultracote with how it goes around corners and shrinks
I don't think I have many options since SoLite isn't available anymore. Plus I already ordered it and SoLite had the same issue but worse, it shouldn't show to badly in the air I think.

I don't think I have many options since SoLite isn't available anymore. Plus I already ordered it and SoLite had the same issue but worse, it shouldn't show to badly in the air I think.
Yeah, really my grumblings come from the fact that I want it to behave like Monokote but that isn't feasible given its weight. I'm covering my Eaglet in silkspan instead to get an opague finish. I'm on the first coat of primer and I'm at 200 grams AUW. The primer coat, before sanding, added 4 grams to the wing so I have no worries about the weight. Just takes a long time. I'll probably be done in two weeks I think.

Legendary member
Yeah, really my grumblings come from the fact that I want it to behave like Monokote but that isn't feasible given its weight. I'm covering my Eaglet in silkspan instead to get an opague finish. I'm on the first coat of primer and I'm at 200 grams AUW. The primer coat, before sanding, added 4 grams to the wing so I have no worries about the weight. Just takes a long time. I'll probably be done in two weeks I think.
Would be nice if someone came up with a lightweight covering that acted like Monokote.
I'm still waiting for my parklite to arrive, it's taking longer than usual since I didn't order from Flitetest.