Mounting GoPro Hero on FT Explorer?

defhermit

Hey there,

I wasn't sure where the appropriate place for this question was. Let me know if this isn't it.

Finally got around to assembling the FT Explorer speed build kit I had sitting around for a few months. I purchased this specifically to get this GoPro Hero in the air. Someone donated this old GoPro Hero to me and I figured it would give me a lot better footage than my keychain "spy" cameras have been.

It (the camera) came with this accessory kit that includes various stand-arms, stick-on mounting thingies that those arms can click onto, and of course the plastic case thing that the camera goes into. It basically includes all the stuff in this picture:

gopro_hero_motorsports_wide_accessories.jpg

It also included a clip-on screen but I'm of course taking that off for weight concerns.

I busted out the kitchen scale and it turns out the GoPro itself weighs 3 ounces, the case and minimal stand (plus stick-on mounting thing) weigh another 3 ounces for a combined weight of 6 ounces.

So here are my questions.

Should I go for using the GoPro naked? Or include the stand/case? Obviously I'd rather have the stand/case included. It keeps the camera more protected and makes it easier to take on and off the plane. Of course it also doubles the weight. I have the "C" class power system going on with the FT Explorer. I have 2200 mAh 3 cell and 1300 mAh 3 cell batteries as options.

Where should I mount this thing and how (if not using the case/stand) Should I take the nose off and just slap it on the tip of the underlying platform? Should I put it up on top, in front of the wing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.