My concept for a "Swappable" J3 Cub "Trainer"

augernaught

Augernaught
NewZee, I finally replied to your PM.
(sorry I took so long, got caught up in last minute holiday issues
and a serious bout of food poisoning over the last few days :black_eyed:)

I noticed the WS and Length of your Cub was about 48" X 24".

The equipment I have for this project/idea is on the larger size.
A SuperTigre 10, (.10 nitro equivalent) and possibly a PAIR of 2100 3s Lipo's in parallel in front of the bomb bay. HINT!!

I forgot to mention in my PM that I have to fabricate a Swap-Pod with a face that is ~3 inches square just to
accommodate this motors mounting plate, and I would have to scale a 3-view to the point the fuselage reaches 30",
or the wing span gets to 60", whichever comes first. (EVERY INCH I can get out of the DTFB!)
Oh, and I bought me some fiberglass arrow shafts for the wing spar too.......... go figure?

I either needed your plans in digital form to blow-up a few %, or I needed to grow a pair and try to
draw out plans the way you showed us how you did it for yourself! (which is an OUTSTANDING build BTW)
I think I am going to swing the Xacto Axe, and give it a shot..........

I might not end up a Cub anymore tho, because I am looking for sport scale but "square-ish"
designs without much turtle deck/shaping issues, and between Flitetest, Armin, and FM foils,
I don't know what might come of it all? But it will be a high wing, so with some tough wing-mount pegs
and fresh #64 rubber bands, I might get to try all three before I crash it! (LOL?)

I just want to let you know much I appreciate your offers to help me out,
on the forum, and in PM's. You inspired me to get off my butt and start to cut!!!
Just don't hate me if I ask a million questions, because that Cub of yours should be a FT speed build kit!
and there is no doubt you got some skills.................

Thank You, NewZee.

Last edited:

NewZee

NewZee, I finally replied to your PM.
(sorry I took so long, got caught up in last minute holiday issues
and a serious bout of food poisoning over the last few days :black_eyed:)

I noticed the WS and Length of your Cub was about 48" X 24".

The equipment I have for this project/idea is on the larger size.
A SuperTigre 10, (.10 nitro equivalent) and possibly a PAIR of 2100 3s Lipo's in parallel in front of the bomb bay. HINT!!

I forgot to mention in my PM that I have to fabricate a Swap-Pod with a face that is ~3 inches square just to
accommodate this motors mounting plate, and I would have to scale a 3-view to the point the fuselage reaches 30",
or the wing span gets to 60", whichever comes first. (EVERY INCH I can get out of the DTFB!)
Oh, and I bought me some fiberglass arrow shafts for the wing spar too.......... go figure?

I either needed your plans in digital form to blow-up a few %, or I needed to grow a pair and try to
draw out plans the way you showed us how you did it for yourself! (which is an OUTSTANDING build BTW)
I think I am going to swing the Xacto Axe, and give it a shot..........

I might not end up a Cub anymore tho, because I am looking for sport scale but "square-ish"
designs without much turtle deck/shaping issues, and between Flitetest, Armin, and FM foils,
I don't know what might come of it all? But it will be a high wing, so with some tough wing-mount pegs
and fresh #64 rubber bands, I might get to try all three before I crash it! (LOL?)

I just want to let you know much I appreciate your offers to help me out,
on the forum, and in PM's. You inspired me to get off my butt and start to cut!!!
Just don't hate me if I ask a million questions, because that Cub of yours should be a FT speed build kit!
and there is no doubt you got some skills.................

Thank You, NewZee.

no worries! check out the video link below,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyCyw0Ogtig
there is a series of vids on youtube about building this plane.
this seems like an easy enough "trainer" that should scale nicely. Always happy to help, any way I can. check your PM's I gave you a reply.

augernaught

Augernaught
I am starting to understand what a pain in the butt creating plans can be.....
I have Corel Draw 7, and when I save a scaled plan as a PDF file, Adobe will not open it, (blank pages)
and even when I open the PDF back up in Corel, the scale is wrong from what I saved.

I am a LONG, LONG way from getting to understand Sketchup too,
even with the tutorials I saw on FT.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I am starting to understand what a pain in the butt creating plans can be.....
I have Corel Draw 7, and when I save a scaled plan as a PDF file, Adobe will not open it, (blank pages)
and even when I open the PDF back up in Corel, the scale is wrong from what I saved.

I am a LONG, LONG way from getting to understand Sketchup too,
even with the tutorials I saw on FT.

A couple of people asked for printable plans for a plane of mine. I have no idea which route to go about making them. I've made scale plans using MS Paint, but I'm not sure how practical it actually is to print those off. Plus is a pain to use the MS Paint. At least with Windows 7, there is info on the bottom of the screen that you can set to inches and use that to measure out lines, but a huge pain.

Bob_Curtains

Master Foam Patch-Man
Was thinking about doing a similar project for the J3. It is one of my favorite planes from being a kid going to the airshows. Definitely will build one soon when i am done with my FT Racer Dukes of Hazard "General Lee". Great job man. Do you have the plans on the computer you can email? If so, hit me up would love to "dub" yours. Once again great job.

NewZee

Was thinking about doing a similar project for the J3. It is one of my favorite planes from being a kid going to the airshows. Definitely will build one soon when i am done with my FT Racer Dukes of Hazard "General Lee". Great job man. Do you have the plans on the computer you can email? If so, hit me up would love to "dub" yours. Once again great job.

Bob, Sorry, but the closest thing I have to plans are the pictures of fuse and wing templates I made to start with (shown at the beginning of this thread) , I am also still having issues with posting an article on his site, so I don't think I'll ever get an article done? PM me and I'll try to help any way I can, the J3 is still one of my favorites, and mine flys great!

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
Might I be allowed to suggest a program called Inkscape. It is a marvelous drawing tool and it is a piece of cake to set the scale. It also has measurement marks so you can get the correct lengths. Best of all it free. I would highly recommend it.

PS after you draw a line you can go in and edit too! No erasing necessary. It almost like a CAD software. But it isn't.

woutervddn

I've got exams at the moment, which means: a lot of time to get distracted.

I might try to draw it in inkscape. Did you increase/decrease the scale on any part? (rudder, tailfin, wingspan,...)

woutervddn

My telecommunication syllabus wasn't all that interesting so I spent some time on this. I've only traced the original images.
I'd love to have some feedback on this (size & position of steering surfaces, fuselage design,...) before I continue.

Wingspan is set to 40 inches btw.

I'll submit the Inkscape SVG and the PNG here. All feedback welcome...

piper.png

SVG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Qfx19ecVAAcXZ6QkpsVjhXOVU/edit?usp=sharing

NewZee

My telecommunication syllabus wasn't all that interesting so I spent some time on this. I've only traced the original images.
I'd love to have some feedback on this (size & position of steering surfaces, fuselage design,...) before I continue.

Wingspan is set to 40 inches btw.

I'll submit the Inkscape SVG and the PNG here. All feedback welcome...

View attachment 24192

SVG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Qfx19ecVAAcXZ6QkpsVjhXOVU/edit?usp=sharing
The only real change I made to the plans above (once scaled up to a 40" WS was to increase the wing cord to 7", I also made a few small modifications to the standard power pod so it would fit into the fuselage.