My FT Old Speedster

flyranger

After the struggle getting my Old Fogey to fly well, even on windy days, I expected trouble with this one too! After all, they have the same wing and approximate size fuse and tail.

No problems with the Old Speedster. Uneventful maiden, flies slower than the Old Fogey, and all I changed was adding more down thrust for trim under power.

AUW with 1300ma 3s battery is 17ozs. Posterboard made from 80lb printer paper covered with colored packing tape.

Attachments

• 20210809_084655.jpg
    20210809_084655.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210809_084643.jpg
    20210809_084643.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
After the struggle getting my Old Fogey to fly well, even on windy days, I expected trouble with this one too! After all, they have the same wing and approximate size fuse and tail.

No problems with the Old Speedster. Uneventful maiden, flies slower than the Old Fogey, and all I changed was adding more down thrust for trim under power.

AUW with 1300ma 3s battery is 17ozs. Posterboard made from 80lb printer paper covered with colored packing tape.
Neat... I scaled mine to 130%... And used a power pack C... With a 2200mah 3s bat..... It can fly super slow, but it can also rocket along at a pretty good speed..... And it can take many many beatings.... The wing snapped upon impact with tree, then wing folded at about 40m altitude and well it was repaired.... Then it was crash landed... Repaired.... Then it had about 5 other crashes...... Non of them seriously bad.... But its still going strong.... One thing I haven't sorted out yet is the torque rolling it to the left.... I have about 2* right thrust and 2 down..... Plus the offset wing....... I'm gonna add quite a bit extra right and see how it goes.

flyranger

Neat... I scaled mine to 130%... And used a power pack C... With a 2200mah 3s bat..... It can fly super slow, but it can also rocket along at a pretty good speed..... And it can take many many beatings.... The wing snapped upon impact with tree, then wing folded at about 40m altitude and well it was repaired.... Then it was crash landed... Repaired.... Then it had about 5 other crashes...... Non of them seriously bad.... But its still going strong.... One thing I haven't sorted out yet is the torque rolling it to the left.... I have about 2* right thrust and 2 down..... Plus the offset wing....... I'm gonna add quite a bit extra right and see how it goes.

On my flight this morning, I saw the wing center section forming a "U" in the air. Ordered cf rods.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
On my flight this morning, I saw the wing center section forming a "U" in the air. Ordered cf rods.
i just used 8mm alaminium tube.... light enough and pretty strong..... ive been pulling out of straight down dives (full throttle) with it, and it has not even flexed.

checkerboardflyer

One of the first FT models that I built was the Old Speedster. Learned a lot about building with foam board. Before that I was flying a Multiplex Fun Cub. I fly off of a grass field and the large, Tundra type tires worked well. So I used the same tires on the Old Speedster. I needed to add some down and right thrust to make it fly right. The longer left wing panel didn’t quite do the job for me. After that it flew fine and I don’t care if they don’t cut the grass. After the Speedster I built two FT Scouts. The model just looks like a golden age type plane. So I decided to try building an open, truss type rear fuselage. Now that I am looking at the pictures, the truss type fuselage might be a good idea for the Speedster. More tips and resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

1-old speedster w wheels - 2.jpeg
2-old speedster w wheels - 1.jpeg
3-FT Scout Balsa - 1.jpeg