My transmitter adventure...And what you should learn from it.

epiper93

The year was 2011 I bought my first RTF plane. Piper Cub S. loved it. Came with a spektrum Dx5. For what I needed at the time it was a great radio. But my first problem I had with it was when I went to buy my second plane...it could only hold one model at a time. So much like the older gentlemen (and ladies) in the hobby. I would write down trim settings for about a week or so. Then I said "why do I keep doing this." So I went out and bought a Dx6i...great little radio. I loved it. My 6i nonetheless became dated around a year and a half ago. So I went out and bought no other than a Spektrum Dx6e the same exact interface for $50 less than the DX6...why wouldn't you!?! However I soon learned a radio without diversity was less than stellar unless you were flying UMX or park fliers (which honestly, what's the fun in that.) so to fly what I want to fly (.25-.60 size) I realized I had to do something. Everyone raved about these FrSky Teranis transmitters and as you're reading this right now your heart has began to beat a little faster. You're becoming extremely excited because if there are two things the internet loves it's Nikola Tesla, and The FrSky line of radio gear. I'm here to tell you. Boy were they wrong. When I first got it I was so excited I immediately ripped the old spektrum receivers out of my planes and jammed FrSky receivers in them as soon as I could. I thought to myself "this is going to be awesome." Until I went to program a single model. The hoops and bounds to jump through to simply program flaps made me want to vomit. Next came a Delta, again I thought surely this would be easy after all, it didn't have flaps...WRONG AGAIN... everything with a Teranis will take you much longer than it will on a Futaba or a spektrum. If you want to take time to get every aspect of a radio perfectly set up to you. You need to get on amazon right now and order a Teranis. However if you actually enjoy the hobby. And want to fly, not spend the majority of your day setting up flap/elevator mix. Do what I did. Sell your Teranis on eBay for $20 more than you paid for it. And buy a spektrum Dx8. I love it. Literally all the same features are there. Just a lot easier to program. I will argue with anyone about this. OpenTX companion software is a nightmare. The only way to make a Teranis better is to flash custom software to it which the best one I found was no where close to perfect. There's a reason some things shouldn't be open source.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Not going to argue with you, but agree to disagree. I went from a DX9 to Taranis and don't regret it at all.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Honestly, its all a matter of personal preference when it comes to transmitters. I prefer Spektrum as well, but mostly because with 20+ aircraft I couldn't afford to replace all the RXs if I ever switched. The programming does seem more intuitive for me as well, but it might just be me being used to it. For guys who are good with programming, the Taranis is an incredibly powerful platform. There are numerous times I've had a mix or feature that I couldn't make work on my DX9, that guys could do on Taranis with the blink of an eye. I just hope Spektrum will learn a bit from the competition in their next generation of radios.

Liam B

I fly Graupner. I think it has the best of both worlds, but I don't put OpenTX down. Spektrum tho...

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I see in your signature you're working on a giant scratch build, do you happen to have a forum thread on that?

RCdiy

RCdiy
I hear you and feel your frustration:)
A lot depends on the people around you to ask for help. I've know people who can't program their Spektrum transmitters and give it to their son to program. I use both Windows and Mac. If anyone asks which one they should get my answer is who will you rely on to help you? Ask them what they are comfortable helping you with.

OpenTX is meant for people who want more from their radios and are a bit computer savvy. Yes, it is not for everyone:) When I started my head hurt but then I came across Scott Pages' videos and the light came on.
It has Companion for OpenTX PC Software which comes with a simulator. So one can try before they buy. Few people buy a car without going for a test drive, or a pair of shoes for that matter:)
But, yes, things could be better....
Anyway. We are working on making the learning resources better.
http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-guide/ (still a work in progress, hope to complete it in 20-30 days)

I've floated the idea of FliteTest having an OpenTX meet at FliteFest to help people decide on OpenTX and help people with questions.

I've also suggested that FliteTest post OpenTX model files with each of their store kits/build plans so people have an official, easy to locate source for these files. Hey if Graupnier, Futaba, Spektrum have that ability then add those files as well.

OpenTX makes a default 4 channel model is seconds. After that one just has to bind it and now we are at the same stage we were with a Dx5 but we have multiple models with their own trims.
http://rcdiy.ca/taranis-q-x7-tutorial-first-flight-setup/

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The Taranis was not hard to learn at all. If you have ANY experience setting up a radio and know what the terms are it is actually simple to use. The thing is that you can do the same thing several ways from several places. Basic set up though for simple 4 channel models with two or three aux switches for things is no different then any other radio.

Between reading comprehension and You tube university you can learn the Taranis in a few hours start to finish.

bitogre

epiper93, I love my Taranis but that may be because I am a computer programmer. Yes, the Taranis has a huge learning curve and is not for everyone. I have a friend who would never had gotten a Taranis if he did not know me and could get me to help him program his Taranis. So I understand your point of view and wish the OpenTX would do more to help people like you.

I think the main reason for this is that the Taranis does not hide how things actually work under the hood. In fact, it practically forces you to know how things work under the hood which is not for everyone.

I've floated the idea of FliteTest having an OpenTX meet at FliteFest to help people decide on OpenTX and help people with questions.

I've also suggested that FliteTest post OpenTX model files with each of their store kits/build plans so people have an official, easy to locate source for these files.

I would happily teach such a class at FliteFest if FliteTest wants. I can do it at FliteFest South and/or FliteFest East 2018. Also, there is a thread on this forum with the files you are talking about.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
There is absolutely ZERO chance I'd go back to Spektrum after owning a Taranis for the past few years. After multiple signal losses and crashes with Spektrum I switched, and the only time I have lost signal with the Taranis is during the world record attempt at Flite Fest, with hundreds of other planes in the air. And that is certainly not the fault of the Taranis or the FrSky protocol.

Is there a learning curve to the Taranis? Absolutely, but once you understand how it works it's not difficult and can do far more than any other radio in the price range.

I'm glad you enjoy your transmitter now, but if the Taranis weren't available I'd personally still be using my old Turnigy ER9X before going back to Spektrum.

Open TX (just like deviation for walkera TX's) is not for everyone, if you want some to just work and be simple to setup. Get a spektrum.

Open Tx (like deviation) exposes the inner workings of what the other more user friendly radios do to make them do what they do. So you have to do the programming, the advantage is there is so much more you can do.

I pulled my hair out for half a day until i started to get it, the companion software is easier to program than the radio, took me 15 minutes to setup a basic heli setup with 3 flight modes.

Plus there are setups already done that you can download.

I still havfe my walkera devo 1 that im using until i get my frsky receivers. Never had an issue with that and im using lemor RX DSMX sats, genuine spectrum sats and also an orange dsm2, only reason i changed was worn pots, the taranis overall was just a better deal and cheaper than anything else of similar features

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Well, i have a QX7 a Spektrum Dx6e and a tactic transmitter.
I have no issues with anyone of them. They are all fine. My favorite is the QX7 which i use for quads. The FT planes are controlled by the Spektrum because i love the cheap orange receiver and the Spektrum is easy to handle and the features are enough. For more expensive planes i use the 8 channel tactic and the QX7. What should i say. Programming the Taranis is not really a challange and extremely flexible. I will always buy a taranis again. And when my Spektrum die i will replace by a DSM module for the Taranis.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
The year was 2011 I bought my first RTF plane. Piper Cub S. loved it. Came with a spektrum Dx5. For what I needed at the time it was a great radio. But my first problem I had with it was when I went to buy my second plane...it could only hold one model at a time. So much like the older gentlemen (and ladies) in the hobby. I would write down trim settings for about a week or so. Then I said "why do I keep doing this." So I went out and bought a Dx6i...great little radio. I loved it. My 6i nonetheless became dated around a year and a half ago. So I went out and bought no other than a Spektrum Dx6e the same exact interface for $50 less than the DX6...why wouldn't you!?! However I soon learned a radio without diversity was less than stellar unless you were flying UMX or park fliers (which honestly, what's the fun in that.) so to fly what I want to fly (.25-.60 size) I realized I had to do something. Everyone raved about these FrSky Teranis transmitters and as you're reading this right now your heart has began to beat a little faster. You're becoming extremely excited because if there are two things the internet loves it's Nikola Tesla, and The FrSky line of radio gear. I'm here to tell you. Boy were they wrong. When I first got it I was so excited I immediately ripped the old spektrum receivers out of my planes and jammed FrSky receivers in them as soon as I could. I thought to myself "this is going to be awesome." Until I went to program a single model. The hoops and bounds to jump through to simply program flaps made me want to vomit. Next came a Delta, again I thought surely this would be easy after all, it didn't have flaps...WRONG AGAIN... everything with a Teranis will take you much longer than it will on a Futaba or a spektrum. If you want to take time to get every aspect of a radio perfectly set up to you. You need to get on amazon right now and order a Teranis. However if you actually enjoy the hobby. And want to fly, not spend the majority of your day setting up flap/elevator mix. Do what I did. Sell your Teranis on eBay for $20 more than you paid for it. And buy a spektrum Dx8. I love it. Literally all the same features are there. Just a lot easier to program. I will argue with anyone about this. OpenTX companion software is a nightmare. The only way to make a Teranis better is to flash custom software to it which the best one I found was no where close to perfect. There's a reason some things shouldn't be open source.

Could not agree with you more I looked at Taranis and gave up. With Lemon receivers as reasonable as they are and solid receivers no reason to go to anything else. One of the clubs I belong all fly Spektrum and no one has lost a plane due to signal loss. The other club is about 80% Spektrum and same deal no one there has lost a plane due to signal loss in fact there are a few FPV fliers using Spektrum have gone out to a mile and half with no control issues as long as properly setup..

epiper93

Open TX (just like deviation for walkera TX's) is not for everyone, if you want some to just work and be simple to setup. Get a spektrum.

Open Tx (like deviation) exposes the inner workings of what the other more user friendly radios do to make them do what they do. So you have to do the programming, the advantage is there is so much more you can do.

I pulled my hair out for half a day until i started to get it, the companion software is easier to program than the radio, took me 15 minutes to setup a basic heli setup with 3 flight modes.

Plus there are setups already done that you can download.

I still havfe my walkera devo 1 that im using until i get my frsky receivers. Never had an issue with that and im using lemor RX DSMX sats, genuine spectrum sats and also an orange dsm2, only reason i changed was worn pots, the taranis overall was just a better deal and cheaper than anything else of similar features

I got my father a Deviation based radio for his birthday, I Like the interface. Maye even more-so than the taranis. What i dont like, and still dislike is the fact that ive had it for over a week and still cant write an elevon mix into the radio. i understand people like customization and usability, but how hard would it be to make a template for elevons that could be completely customize-able. on my spektrum click - wing type - scroll 3 times, and bam...elevons.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Just a FYI that a little known (it seems) feature of the OpenTX software is the Lua script based setup wizard. If you want to easily setup a model, including one with elevon mixing, in a manner similar to Spektrum or other, more consumer friendly ways, you can use the model wizard -- I have in a pinch, but typically add to the setup manually either via Companion or the TX UI/buttons.

Here's an example of elevon mixing via the wizard and manual mixing setup:

https://open-txu.org/2-2-07-frsky-t...flying-wing-by-painless360-june-2015-7-of-13/

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I know I went with Spektrum with my first radio over the FrSky, even though I saw a LOT of drone pilots flying the FrSky radios.

Why?

Because the Conspiracy 220 that I was gifted was already set up with a Spektrum receiver.

That, coupled with the fact that nearly everyone at my dad's field flies with Spektrum, and nearly everyone at my field flies with Spektrum (the exception being some of the helicopter guys, who use Hitec radios, as they're sponsored by Hitec, or some of the 3D pilots, who prefer Futabas), I went with Spektrum. Why? Because I could get help if I needed it.

I've already had someone at the field help me set up a differential thrust mix for my Sea Duck, which was a BIG help; what I thought I had wasn't quite right on a 4 channel receiver. I've also been able to loan my DX6 transmitter to my dad for wireless trainer sessions on his Apprentice, which has been VERY helpful for him; he has his DX7 slaved to my DX6, and he and the instructor fly with no problems. It works out great...

Does that mean that I would never consider any other radio? No. They each have their own quirks, but it's kind of like using Linux versus Windows vs. Mac - each one does things a different way, and does certain things better than others. It's really down to what it does best for your personal needs.

epiper93

I know I went with Spektrum with my first radio over the FrSky, even though I saw a LOT of drone pilots flying the FrSky radios.

Why?

Because the Conspiracy 220 that I was gifted was already set up with a Spektrum receiver.

That, coupled with the fact that nearly everyone at my dad's field flies with Spektrum, and nearly everyone at my field flies with Spektrum (the exception being some of the helicopter guys, who use Hitec radios, as they're sponsored by Hitec, or some of the 3D pilots, who prefer Futabas), I went with Spektrum. Why? Because I could get help if I needed it.

I've already had someone at the field help me set up a differential thrust mix for my Sea Duck, which was a BIG help; what I thought I had wasn't quite right on a 4 channel receiver. I've also been able to loan my DX6 transmitter to my dad for wireless trainer sessions on his Apprentice, which has been VERY helpful for him; he has his DX7 slaved to my DX6, and he and the instructor fly with no problems. It works out great...

Does that mean that I would never consider any other radio? No. They each have their own quirks, but it's kind of like using Linux versus Windows vs. Mac - each one does things a different way, and does certain things better than others. It's really down to what it does best for your personal needs.

I Concur with your opinion. As I have had a FrSky, Spektrum, Turnigy, and no toying with my brothers Deviation Radio. I think it has alot to do with what you learn on also! :applause:

epiper93

Honestly, its all a matter of personal preference when it comes to transmitters. I prefer Spektrum as well, but mostly because with 20+ aircraft I couldn't afford to replace all the RXs if I ever switched. The programming does seem more intuitive for me as well, but it might just be me being used to it. For guys who are good with programming, the Taranis is an incredibly powerful platform. There are numerous times I've had a mix or feature that I couldn't make work on my DX9, that guys could do on Taranis with the blink of an eye. I just hope Spektrum will learn a bit from the competition in their next generation of radios.
Have you ever heard of the Jumper T8SG? Look it up. Got one for my dad and he loves it. He too, doesn’t like spek.