NAS-BWACC [ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL FTFF EVENT]

Road Kill

I just finished 2 new BW's my question is where is CG? My last one was flying great @ 2.65" from leading edge of wing, the plans say 1.5" that is a big difference. Like to get that right before I maiden them! Any ideas?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
He's already had an offer for one of mine . . . if you make one too, he's completely out of excuses ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have a question regarding the motor. The EMAX 2812 comes in 5 different Kv ratings. What's the Kv rating for the contest and what size ESC is required to power it?

earthsciteach

If you want just an airframe, I could build you one before I leave...you'd just need to put your electronics in. It would be a V1, though.

Thanks, 510thousandths! But, if you are like me, you are up to your ears in other stuff already. If I can't get one done, I may borrow one of Dan's. Of course, I'll wonder if he sabotaged it in the first place...:eek:

I'm also having a Norwegian stay at my house. I could put him to work on the BW.... Hmmm....

crash bandicoot

I can't wait to watch this. Has there been any more discussion as to what time, is it for sure on Saturday yet?
I may pick up a BW V2 and attempt to build it on Friday afternoon / night for the competition. I was busy building a swappable Do-335 the past couple of weeks so I couldn't get a BW done in time.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It will be Saturday , it will be late in the day . . . leaning toward 4-5ish ATM. do not know which flightline. I think we can steal two of the flappy dudes for pylons, and take the mainline over for 30 min or so . . . But we'll see. I have gotten a nod that it will be announced, even if we keep it unofficial (who knows? maybe next year FT will manage, maybe they'll leave it unofficial . . . And join in the fun as just another targ . . . I mean, combatant . . .)

either way, Plan so far is:

- we'll acquire a flightline and two pylons late sat afternoon, announce the rules, launch
- we'll fly a figure 8 pattern while trying to hit and remain in the air.
- 8 min round, hits count a point with each impact for both hitter and hittee. counts are on the honor system.
- BW or any plane with it's lineage can fly, but only a stock V1 or 2 , flying with the speced motor(*any* EMAX CF2812), up to 3 servos and 3S1300or or 4oz battery(or smaller).
- Only the winner will be checked. if it meets spec, it keeps the win, if it doesn't you walk away with the pride you hit so many airframes, but the victory goes to the next in line. the *sole*exception to this is to Bloody Mics . . . Since he's got something to prove about "improving on perfection" As the earlier designer, If he can earn it, he can keep it ;)
-We're also not the FAA - the spirit of the law will be respected far above the letter of the law. that and we intend to do something fun while doing what needs to be done to keep it safe.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Here is the winner, I did not get his name but wanted to share the pic of the winner and the trophy! Dan, great event during FF, and Pat, great trophy!!!

NAS-BWACC Trophy.jpg

Oh and Great win!!!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Craftydan,

Thanks for orchestrating the competition. Great fun! I am looking forward to next years competition. I doubt that Murphy's Law will survive till next year. I will go outlaw for that one and try to fly through bloody wonder after bloody wonder. destruction and carnage!!! Muhahahaha.

The trophy will receive a couple improvements before next year. Hopefully, each person that takes the trophy each year will make some additions, improvements and/or upgrades before the next years competition.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys. I enjoyed hanging out and putting faces to the names.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Craftydan,

Thanks for orchestrating the competition. Great fun! I am looking forward to next years competition. I doubt that Murphy's Law will survive till next year. I will go outlaw for that one and try to fly through bloody wonder after bloody wonder. destruction and carnage!!! Muhahahaha.

The trophy will receive a couple improvements before next year. Hopefully, each person that takes the trophy each year will make some additions, improvements and/or upgrades before the next years competition.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys. I enjoyed hanging out and putting faces to the names.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

Congratulations :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I did it on the field, but I've taken far too long to virtually congradulate the winner . . .

Tommy, congrats on your well earned win :)

Murphy's Law came away with 2 hits -- low, but enough -- on a qualifying airframe.

Even with the rules, confusion reigned, but most everybody seemed to enjoy it and far more importantly, Tommy's trophy was the envy of all!

Tommy has graciously offered to turn the trophy into an annual roving prize, and I think we can impress 'teach to make something perminant to take home each year in trade.

Next year's event will also have a more . . . agressive . . . barker -- Alex did a fair job but was far too nice on getting the pilots to keep pattern, soooo there wasn't a pattern. FlyingMonkey has voulenteered to whip you guys into shape so next year's combat should be tighter, lower, and actually timed ;)

We'll also be more careful to get all the BW's in, and let others know a open combat will be scheduled later -- more than a few people felt it unfair they couldn't fly with just any plane, not knowing an open combat was comming (which in fairness, wasn't planned until people started begging for it).

The spec'ed power system seemed to work well, but becasue most peopel hadn't seen it, there was a LARGE outlaw class. Alternitives or equivilents for next year are certianly up for discussion, as are improved rules.

Any other comments/questions/suggestions/jealous congradulations?

earthsciteach

I am more than happy to punish anyone violating the "box" with my potato gun next year. :cool: I'll load it up with canisters of paintballs.

I'm definitely down to upgrade the trophy. It was made on-site and finished while the BWs were in the air!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Guys,

We are a month out. Am I the only one interested in this? Are we going to try again this year? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help orchestrate.