Need a little help from my new friends (noob advice on electronics)

mikeyd101

I recently stumbled upon flite test channel on you tube (great channel guys, thank you).

I was interested in getting into RC Flying when I was younger, I played around with RC Cars a fair bit. But was more interested in drinking at the time. I brought a middle phase 2 trainer glider but was always too scared and lacked knowledge to cover it in shrink wrap stuff (no internet/youtube in those days) so never finished it :(

I saw the FT Tiny Trainer, and knew that was my starting place back into something I should have done 20 years ago, I can evolve it through the levels. Unfortunately pretty slim pickings (1 sheet black) in dollar general in "small town", West Texas, but brother in law picked me up another sheet in a slightly bigger town, resulting in this hacked together zebra:

20150702_223541-sized.jpg

Step 1 complete, prove I can cut and glue some foam board. After some initial CG problems and some nose heavy landing repairs, managed to get some ok chuck glides (more refinement and space required).

So my next plan is to jump to 3 channels, but with enough flexibility to go to 4 and then onto the future.

Ok so I've watched alot of FT Videos and at this stage need to invest in some electronics, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and compatibility of components, plus I kind of wanted to one stop shop, and preferably give back to the flite test crew for re-igniting my interest in RC Flying.

I was looking at:
https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-a-minis/
https://store.flitetest.com/graupner-mz-12-6-channel-transmitter/

But a few questions, what other bits would I need to complete my progress right through to 4 chan FT Tiny Trainer, and any recommendations? Batteries, charger, pushrods, control horns plus more foam and glue for WHEN I crash. Any parts i'm missing?

Does power pack A come with servo control arms? (pictures/list doesn't show any) and it currently looks like I am completely lacking any RC supply shops in West Texas as its not connected with pumping oil from the ground.

Graupner 6chan a few questions on this:
- is it a good starting transmitter?, I've noticed FT are using it alot recently, looks like it has a lot of features and future proof.
- Notice this is out of stock, anyone know what the supply, re-stock of these are like?
- other options at same price/performance? spektrum DX6i (another one i've watched some reviews on)? pros/cons

Looking for ballpark of electronics $200-$250.

Thanks for your time reading to this point, and any advice.

MikeyD

Last edited:

NCRC

Mikey while i havn't used the Graupner, it certainly has good reviews and should serve you well for at least your first few years in the hobby. At least for all of the Flitetest planes, 6 channels is more than enough. The DX6i as another option is also great with the only real advantage of being a more widely addopted brand in the USA and has excellent customer support in Horizon Hobby, also it is in stock in most hobby stores which makes it probably easier to buy. If you were looking at a slightly more expensive model i can personally recommend the DX6(new version) as it has voice and telemetry which are features that i love. The flitetest power pack would be perfect for your tiny trainer as they are designed around these power packs and will have arms for the servos included, all servos should come with these in the box. As for the accesories, i think that list should have you pretty well set up provided that you get batteries with the correct connector as the flitetest powerpack uses JST connectors. (as a side note - if you can't find music wire for the pushrods, i use bicycle spokes with great results :) ), only things i would add would be a soldering iron and solder as you will eventually have to do this if you havnt already.

mikeyd101

Thanks for the information NCRC.

I looked at the DX6 too, but the battery usage was a concern and the fact it kind of replaces the 6i, means might be able to get 6i cheaper. I can't find the Graupner in stock anywhere apart from UK and Germany, so not sure what is going on with that, maybe limited production/import to try and drive upsell, or there just very new or sort after.

Didn't think of music wire, there's a few music stores around so i'll check, thanks.

Are the 800 mAh 2 or 3 cell enough for the mini? ideally i'd like to move to flying something like a powered simple soarer with a folding prop in the future, so can fly up glide and use the power as needed, giving extended flying times.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
There are cheap orange radios on hobbyking.com that come with receivers too if your just looking to get your feet wet. Also most hobby shops carry music wire, you don't need to head to a music store to get any. Chances are if you get from music shops you have to buy in sets not in individual sizes.

As far as the ftss you should check out the simple soarer build thread for good answers.

mikeyd101

Thanks Kurt, i'll have alook around hobby lobby and michaels for the wire, your right probably way cheaper than music store. I'm holding off on FTSS until i'm up and running on tiny trainer and got a handle on flying it, but FTSS build thread looks like its got some great info.

I don't know i'm after the cheapest RC radio, I'd prefer to sink a little into it, so looking for good price/performance and not have to rebuy in a few months when i've outgrown it. After some further looking around a found this:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...D_Digital_Telemetry_Radio_System_Mode_2_.html

The FrSky Taranis which looks really good for features and price, with the added advantage that its openTX which appeals to me as I know a little about coding.