Need help making a quadcopter

Wafflemonkey57

So I want to own a hobby grade quad copter. Ive done a bit of reading and looking around but at this point I just want to know if all this will work before I pull the trigger.

Also I do not want to buy from hobby king. Their customer service is very evasive.

So can anyone tell me if there would be any issues with me trying to make these parts work together?

Flight controller: Thunder QQ Super Stabilizer Flight Controller

Frame: Sk450 frame

ESC's: Afro 20amp ESC's with Simon K firmware x4

Motors: MT2213 935KV Brushless motors x4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadcopter-...260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d6ab3654

Power Distribution board--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quadcop...024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e97c5a7b8

Transmitter: Sprektrum DX5e DSMX 5 Channel Transmitter

Receiver: AR1610

Battery: 3s 2200mAh

Am I missing anything? Are any of the parts incompatible? I would really like some help.
Thank you.

brettp2004

Looks like a good start. I'm not familiar with the FC board so someone else will have to comment on that. You can probably do without the power distro board if you have some basic soldering skills. I tried that board with one of my quads and didn't like it at all. It could have been something else but I was having issues with motors cutting off in flight with that distro board. You'll need male if male servo wires as well.

T-Ro

I just finished building my first quad... and I am already planning on building another one!

If you are not looking into buying from Hobby King (not a bad choice) I would recommend Amazon.com. I have Prime so I have discovered that if you know what you are looking for, you can find cheap, quality parts with free 2-day shipping :p

But besides that, you list look pretty good. I will agree with Brettp2004 that I have never heard of that FC board before. Personally, because of David W. (the Swede) and personal experience from my first build, the KK2 boards are great. Mostly because I am still learning how to tune my quad... so being able to land, tune and get back in the air within 30 seconds is amazing!

Also, this is just up to you... if you are brand new to quads, I would recommend the FT electrohub for your quad frame. I have already gone through 4 arms because of some rough landings while tuning my quad. That being said, if you already have decent quad piloting skills under you belt, go for the SK450 frame, if you don't... get something that will be easy to fix = FT Electrohub (wooden booms and a built in PDB).

Assuming you meant the Spektrum AR610 receiver... not the 1610 = check

If you plan to have a bunch of models, i would go for the DX6 or 6i Transmitter instead of the 5e.

Don'r forget to add zip ties, common tools (screwdrivers and such if you don't have it already), and servo leads like Brett mentioned above as well.

Wafflemonkey57

Well i chose the QQ board because it looks idiot proof. Its locked in auto level. I have decent flying skills on a dromida ominus that I have currently, when I have auto level turned on that is. But if you think the KK board is better I'll look into it a little more. How is the auto level on the KK?

Also I picked out the 5e because the QQ board is only compatible with a few modulation styles and the 5e was the cheapest DSMX transmitter I could find outside of Hobby King.

Also thank you for pointing out the servo leads. Completely overlooked that.

And Brett you pointed out that distribution boards are not so good. I agree and I would solder but I do not have access to the equipment right now. Do you know of anywhere I can get a distribution loom rather than a board?

Thanks for your help thus far guys.

T-Ro

Two things:

1) Highly recommended that you become proficient as a pilot out of auto level.
2) Also highly recommended that you get a board that is not stuck in auto level.

The KK board's auto level is okay. Like I said, I am still learning how to tune my quads, but the auto level that my scratch built quad has is not bad... it is very docile and soft. But as mentioned above, become a proficient pilot without any auto level.

Also, if the FC board that I am looking at is the same as the one you are talking about: (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...r_QQ_Super_Multi_Rotor_Flight_Controller.html)

Then you will still need to buy a receiver for you transmitter. Typically, you have your Flight Control Board and your Receiver as two separate units. In the description for the above Thunder QQ Flight Control Board, it says that it is "Futaba S.BUS, Spektrum and OrangeRX DSM2 and DSMX compatible and it has a port for the DSM2 and DSMX compatible satellite receivers" meaning that it will work with those receivers (a separate unit).

So if that is the case, you will need to buy a RX for your TX as well. And if you are looking to have more than one model and see yourself in the hobby for a couple of years, a good TX is a good investment. I bought a DX6i for my first one and grew out of it within the year. Since you listed a AR510, you can get any Spektrum or Orange RX...

HarleyRev

the KK board is the easiest to tune, great for a first build. Also you can get support for it here and on the internet because it is one of the most widely used boards.

I had issues with that same distribution board as well, its junk, do not use it.

I too would advise you to get atleast the spectrum 6i , the 5 is not a very good radio. I 've used one on a flight simulator and it was very cheaply made. I have an orangerx and it is way better made than the dx5e. Spend a little more and get the 6i or 6, you wont be sorry.
You can use lemon receivers, you can get a 5 pack of those for $25.

You will need a good battery charger as well. I deal with American hobby companies, their service it excellent and products are good.
Motionrc for batteries and other items, altitude hobbies for motors and ESC and other items. I have ordered a few times from hobbyking, but I wont anymore after this last order.

Search in the articles section for build articles that can help you along your journey of the build. Have fun with it !

Wafflemonkey57

Okay so I'll go with the KK then and start practicing with no auto level.

Would this be a functional solution to power distribution?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-1-to-4...c&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=351310048958&rt=nc

Also found a DX6i that comes with a receiver.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161522444733?lpid=82&chn=ps

So new list looks like this

Flight Controller: KK2.5.1

Frame: Sk450

Esc's: Afro 20 Amp Esc's with Simon K firmware

Motors: EMAX MT2213 KV935 Brushless outrunner motors

Power distribution: XT60 1 to 4 Wire parallel wire distribution cable.

Servo leads: 10pcs 10 male to male servo leads

Transmitter: Spektrum DX6i 6CH DSMX

Receiver: AR610 (It comes with the 6i)

Also while im looking around I am seeing some motors with clockwise threads and some with counter clockwise threads. Do I need 2 of each or is it unnecessary?

Any recommendations for props? I would prefer to not shell out $10 every time I break a set.

What is the round black thing on the power cable for the KK board?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KK2-15-...005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=121612289276&rt=nc

I think I'll just go down to my local hobby shop to get the batteries/charger

Thanks for help.

Last edited:

brettp2004

You do not need two sets of different motors, the clockwise/counter clockwise threads will not make a difference, I'd suggest getting all four the same. You will however, need CW and CCW props. Two of each. I use the HQ Props and they have been great. Decently balanced out of the bag (You still need to balance them!), and I think they're about $3-$5 per pair.

I can't look at the picture of the KK board on the computer I'm on but the round black thing is probably the alarm. You can use it if you want, it's optional. It can be handy because you can set up a low voltage alarm in the KK board so you don't have to have separate one. Are you fairly proficient at soldering? If you are, it's usually better to just make your own wire harness instead of going with power distribution like that. If you can solder two wires together, you'll be able to make your own harness.

HarleyRev

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/multicopter-props-1/gemfan-nylon-props i use these props, they are inexpensive and work just fine. I tried some props that were twice as expensive and I saw no difference in flight. Which leads to you will need a prop balancer too.

http://www.motionrc.com/top-flite-power-point-propeller-balancer/ i use this one. You will have to balance the rubber keepers and rod before balancing any props. Once that is done it is very accurate.

Yes that is the alarm in the pic, for battery status. You will need a red jst plug with wires coming from the power distrubution. This will plug into the red port there on the kk. Use a battery meter to check the voltage reading on the battery and the kk board, usually the kk board is off by a few 1/10ths of a volt. You can adjust your alarm accordingly.

I dont know if you are ordering that kk from ebay, if you do it will be coming on a slow boat from china, 4 to 6 weeks. The KK's can be purchased from other companies and get them within a week if needed.

Good choice on the radio.

Wafflemonkey57

So prop balancer. I'll look into that now. And I know about china shipping, but its just so much cheaper. Ill just have to deal with the wait I think.

So was that it? Do I have all the pieces found out?