Need Help with Transmitter

FeWolf

Greetings,
This is my issue, several years ago I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to my right hand and forearm, taking away my sense of touch in my fingers. I have tried to fly but with a normal controller I have a lot of crashes due to I can not feel the right stick. So I was wondering is it possible to use say an RC car transmitter instead? All my planes are 3 to 4 channel. Which I noticed rc car uses.
Thank
Scott

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I know in the Stingray review episode that Flite Test recently did, the person showing off his Stingray had a "one hand" Tx. They don't make them anymore so you'd have to customize a Tx to make it one handed. But I think with an RC Car Tx you'd still have to do some customization.

rcspaceflight

Although, if you stuck to 3 channel planes and flew with a Mode 1 Tx, you should be fine. You'd be able to use the elevator and rudder/ailerons with your good, left hand, and you'd only use your right hand for throttle. You could probably just set the throttle at half speed for the entire flight and still have fun.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I dont think that a Car TX would do the job.
There was actually some one-stick- transmitters on the market many years ago. The job is to find one on ebay or other. I think most old transmitters are just on the shelf and it could be better to do a research by the local clubs and find one.

If you get hold of an old one stick tx it will be OK to convert it to 2,4 with a conversion kit from Fr-Sky or another brand if preffered.
The one stick could be like this :
up - down - "normal"
bank right left - "normal"
rudder right left - turning the knob
thottle - a small extra pot inside the knob operated on the top of the knob.
more channels - on off swithes on the side top or bottom on the TX.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I doubt it since the Frsky needs a PPM signal and these are all analog.

On edit: I have been doing some more reading and i need to correct this. It seems that the standard output of even analog radios is PPM. I was mistaken in my assumption it was digital. So it should work fine with a DIY kit.

Last edited:

FeWolf

Thanks everyone, wish I could config a joy pad, some one made a suggestion( Spektrum ),to try mode3, I did not think of that, lucky I can program the radio to do mode 3. Going to try it on my flight sims.
Most of my soldering work is done by my friend, I am still learning to use my hand and wrist, but it does not stop me.
Checking out the SAFE system, hope the price will go down in the future.

G D BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP FROMA custy old VETERAN!:D

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
After that stingray episode I was curious about this single stick setup and did a bit of research. This site had a bunch of info:

http://www.singlestickstuff.com/the-history-of-the-single-stick/

And another site with some interesting stuff for a place that apparently does custom work:
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/custom_work.htm

I've actually thought about finding a high quality older radio and transfering the "brains" from my 9x into it to get the build quality of an older radio with the flexibilty of a modern computer radio. But I'd have to build a custom case as well and my skills are pretty lacking in that area. Maybe if I ever get a 3D printer built....

But one I saw the single stick stuff I'm really thinking I'd like to try that as it seems very intuitive to me, kind of tempted to do the same thing and pick an old one up off ebay and try to hack it with modern guts....even just an arduino pro mini and a modern RF module should be enough to make it work.

rcspaceflight

I too thought about making a single stick. My flight simulator computer joystick I bought for Microsoft Flight Sim X has the rudder by rotating the stick. I was used to flying that way. It's not really any better, just different.

If I built one I was going to just buy a cheap Hobby King radio, mount the rudder pot on top of the aileron/elevator stick and then either use a wooden dowel or make a shaft with a good grip out of insta-morph. Not sure how I would do the throttle. I would prefer a thumb throttle on the stick. Or maybe a pistol trigger for the throttle like on a car Tx. I would want mine to be like a jet fighter joystick. Not little controls to pinch with my finger and thumb.

Although honestly, I'm not sure what I would do with my free hand. I guess use it to hold the Tx, but I wanted to have the Tx harnessed to my belt.

I'm not sure how clear I'm making the Tx I would build sound like, but I'm thinking something like this:
buy-flight-simulator-joysticknoulakaz-----christmas-joysticks-and-flight-simulators-n07mnpaw.jpg