Need help with Wheatboard FT 3D. pleaseee

Bill Br

Guys, i am thinkint to push the motor to its limits, but maybe it is not a good idea....
this is the motor motor GForce E400 1250kv it can run props up to 9 x 6 (3s) and 10 x 4.7 (2S). I am planing to use a 10x 3.8SF prop on 3S.... what do u thing?????
can i take the risk??????
will i burn my motor???
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Based on the size and weight of the model a 9x6 propeller should be sufficient.

Piotrsko

Master member
Aerodynamics suggest that a bigger diameter prop produces more thrust, but there are many offsetting factors, rpm, pitch, tip speed, prop loading to name just a few. All these will give you a headache, so the typical method of actually measuring thrust in a test stand is the approved method, even for people with super computers. It is wise to listen to practical experience.

3D flying is mostly a thrust issue with some odd aerodynamic stuff thrown in. To qoute an acquaintance from 30 years ago: " FLY IT!" while chanting the FT mantra, build fly crash repeat

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Aerodynamics suggest that a bigger diameter prop produces more thrust, but there are many offsetting factors, rpm, pitch, tip speed, prop loading to name just a few. All these will give you a headache, so the typical method of actually measuring thrust in a test stand is the approved method, even for people with super computers. It is wise to listen to practical experience.

3D flying is mostly a thrust issue with some odd aerodynamic stuff thrown in. To qoute an acquaintance from 30 years ago: " FLY IT!" while chanting the FT mantra, build fly crash repeat

Yessss!!!!!
U are right, i must fly it and hope the best.

Yesterday i ran more tests with the 10x3.8 prop
30seconds at 80-100 trottle -> not warm at all
60seconds at 80-100 trottle -> not warm at all
90seconds at 80-100 trottle -> a bit warm, but warm to be touched without burn my finguers. :D

Guess it will fly well without push the motor to much.

Bricks

Master member
I am waiting to see if this motor will fly the Edge as those are the motors I use in my combat planes and they are definently not over powered, flying a plane the size of the Bloody Baron..

You build is very very nice.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hey, guys, I gotta go maiden it tomorrow. One last important question before.
For this model i did not use FT-Power-Pod-Swappable, but use the same power-pod of the simple scout that is shorter. I placed the power-pod against top of the fuselage. So the motor has a slight down incidence.
plano.png

Is that ok ? in the construction video of the FT 3D is not very clear this part.
Can someone help me?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Having a 2 degree down thrust on a model is often a good thing - it will help prevent the plane from jumping up when you increase the throttle. It might make hovering or other 3D maneuvers more challenging, but general sport flying should be easier! :D

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Having a 2 degree down thrust on a model is often a good thing - it will help prevent the plane from jumping up when you increase the throttle. It might make hovering or other 3D maneuvers more challenging, but general sport flying should be easier! :D
Goood to hear that. You are right, i was having dow thrust issues recently with other planes.
Think this one will fly really well.

Winglet

Outstanding effort Carlos! I think we are all thrilled to see it fly so well and look so great. Most if us realize the great effort it took for you to accomplish this in a place where your resources are so limited. A salute to you Carlos. Very very well done!!👏👏👏👏👏👏

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Muy bien! I will say I fly my ft-3D on the 2215 emax motor, and I over propped it to an 11x4.7 prop and it gets warm, but not too bad if you keep the throttle down. If I plan to go all out I usually put a 10x4.7 prop on.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Outstanding effort Carlos! I think we are all thrilled to see it fly so well and look so great. Most if us realize the great effort it took for you to accomplish this in a place where your resources are so limited. A salute to you Carlos. Very very well done!!👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thank you very much. For all the suppot. U make me love FT planes and i apreciate that. Thanks for that. ;)

Seahunter

As promised, video of maiden.
Thanks to winglet for uploading the video.
Super build Carlos, I love the industrial theme markings and how you can build such beautiful aircraft from extreme scratch! Most of us can't build that well from ready made materials. Congratulations. We need to get some more parts to you to build some more amazing airframes. Great job mi amigo, Fred

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Super build Carlos, I love the industrial theme markings and how you can build such beautiful aircraft from extreme scratch! Most of us can't build that well from ready made materials. Congratulations. We need to get some more parts to you to build some more amazing airframes. Great job mi amigo, Fred

Thanks my friend for your kind words. The truth is, I'm very happy with this plane. I love the way it looks and the way it flies.I have seen too many excellent constructions by the FT family. You are a great builder too. :D.
Stay in touch. Tu amigo, Carlos.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations on the susecfull build and maiden. What a great looking plane.

Tell us more about the wheat board. Yyou said it was light weight when you took the cardboard off. What is in the middle? A picture would be helpful.