Need ideas for getting this plane down.

FlyKVegas

I estimate this is about 70' up. Salvage value is probably not worth $80 for a tree climber. Shooting it down is not an option. Looking for creative ideas.

Attachments

• FlyHigh2.jpg
    FlyHigh2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

phyber

Had my quad stuck up similar height... Tried my hands at throwing rocks up but found out I have horrible aim

Ended up chaining the tree up to a truck and using the truck to pull/shake the tree. Came loose in a few tries.

AeroMaestro

I've had success, once, with a $12 "hunting" slingshot from the sporting goods store. I used some heavy hex nuts as ammo with fishing line tied to them.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I don't see how you get it down without shooting something at it. If you took a quad up with a long line and a hook maybe??

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Hrrrmmm. Usually a long stick is best. Like tent poles or extendable tree trimmers (but not cutting any part of the tree). 70 feet is too long for that.

Bow and arrow is probably a great option. Maybe just stick a tennis ball at the end of the arrow so it doesn't stick into anything and won't hurt you if it falls straight down onto you.

Noob

I had this same thing happen to me earlier this year. I tried everything listed here plus more. The only thing that work for me was the slingshot. After getting the weight over the branch I slowly lowered the weight to the ground. I then tied a rope to the fishing line and pulled the rope up over the branch and the. Used the rope to pull the branch back and forth until my plane came loose.

Ace2317

I had this same thing happen to me earlier this year. I tried everything listed here plus more. The only thing that work for me was the slingshot. After getting the weight over the branch I slowly lowered the weight to the ground. I then tied a rope to the fishing line and pulled the rope up over the branch and the. Used the rope to pull the branch back and forth until my plane came loose.

That's a really clever way of doing it.

Also, did you try shaking the tree? Haha. I played that game once when it was a small tree and just out of reach. It's surprising just how ineffective that really is.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I once, well twice, had a plane stuck on top of the tall shed. I tried rope with a tennis ball at the end. Didn't do a darn thing. So I had to use a ladder and go on top of the shed. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of heights, but I am afraid of being high up on something unstable. Like a wooden 25 foot ladder.

Crazy idea, what if you climbed the tree yourself using the method where you have a rope around the tree. Like this picture:
hqdefault.jpg

Not really to go all the way up, but high enough to get close enough to effectively use a slingshot. Or so you can effectively shake the tree. But climbing maybe too daredevil to be worth it.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
All shooting will damage your things.
From your picture you should find the biggest ladder you can borrow and climb a nearby tree where you can climb using the branches high enough to use a fishing pole.

The pictures below use my 2*15 ft ladder = 27 ft combined. The fishing rod is about 40 ft ( i have seen 90 ft combos ).
The plane is in a nearby higher tree.
I always have a 20 ft rod in my car ;-)
Make a Y harness on the top of the rod to helf gently lifting the plane or copter.

Flying pictures : http://modellflygnytt.se/opublicerat/SM14/index.htm

140607-12.JPG
140607-14.JPG

FlyKVegas

Had my quad stuck up similar height... Tried my hands at throwing rocks up but found out I have horrible aim

Ended up chaining the tree up to a truck and using the truck to pull/shake the tree. Came loose in a few tries.

Unfortunately this is on public property, AND deep in the woods. No truck going down in there!

FlyKVegas

I value some things more than this plane. Like my life and health! I know my limitations and doing the tree-climbing thing would be on the list!

FlyKVegas

All shooting will damage your things.
From your picture you should find the biggest ladder you can borrow and climb a nearby tree where you can climb using the branches high enough to use a fishing pole.

The pictures below use my 2*15 ft ladder = 27 ft combined. The fishing rod is about 40 ft ( i have seen 90 ft combos ).
The plane is in a nearby higher tree.
I always have a 20 ft rod in my car ;-)
Make a Y harness on the top of the rod to helf gently lifting the plane or copter.

Good idea, but I'm looking for a solution where my feet stay on the ground!

MrClean

I've used the wrist rocket, fishing weight and kite string method. It's suprising how accurate and how far up you can shoot that. Even more so is how far over you can shoot it. You just need to get over the branch and back to the ground, then pull gently pulling the plane off the branch.
Last time I did this the darn plane was over the street at dusk. Could not believe the amount of traffic. Would just get a shot close and someone would come flying around the corner and stop for a person in the middle of the road? surely you jest. Couldn't get the shot in the fading light. Next day after 3 went out and put the first shot 50 feet up right where I wanted it and the plane was down. Pack was destroyed but the rest of the gear lives to fight another day.
Also, you can always haul up a bigger rope if the kite string won't get the job done.