Need plans for a mini 4 channel for small area flying (still a novice!)

bwarz

Master member
My first and very own thread! lol. Seriously, though...

I've been growing in the RC flight realm with my boys (8, 10, 14, 17) since our trip to Flite Fest last summer. Lots of crashes, lots of building, lots of learning, lots of simulator time. I've gotten comfortable with the "you're gonna crash" idea and have gotten much better at flying this spring, being forced to fly in our back yard with a few micros that we picked up at swap meets before all of "this" happened. To define "back yard", our space is framed in by houses and trees to the south, and a nice solid tree line to the north giving us about a 60'-100' width. My neighbors are awesome letting us fly in their yards (and having occasionally hit a house!) which gives us 200'+ of length. An OK space for a 1S micro, and as I improve, a 2S UMX has been flown well repeatedly.

The problem that my boys are having is the fear of destruction - the parts for the micros aren't cheap, but we've gotten good at bandaging them up. I did build a mini scout that I've flown as 3 channel, but I'd like to figure out something that we can put a small 2S or 1S system in that is small and slow so the boys can get as comfortable as I've gotten. Myself and my 14 year old have gotten good at building, but have no experience with design yet. I guess we're just looking for either a light micro plan or some building tips to something light and agile that we can build over and over (and over and over...) as we continue our journey of flight!

To reiterate though - the FT minis are just a bit too big/heavy/fast for learning, especially for the 8 and 10 year-olds. I don't mind getting a few smaller motors to run 2S (having a few 12A ESCs). 3 channel to start, but conversion to 4 channel would be a must!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JakeTheSloth

I think that Tiny Trainer is what you're looking for. 1806 on 2s with 6' will give you a slow and steady flight. I use FT Vector as parkflyer because it's very maneouverable and stall resistant, also belly landing with this plane is super easy and you don't need a lot of space

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have built and flown the TT (what I learned on), the FT-22, LongEZ [didn't get this working], and my own v-tail design (link in my signature). I understand your concern over the field size. Of what I have built, the FT-22 is probably the best I have experienced for slow flying but doesn't meet your 'upgradable to 4 channel' requirement. The TT does sound like what your looking for, it was reasonably flyable in the size of a soccer field ( a bigger then the area your talking about), but I prefer 2-3 times that size myself.

I know Bixler did a Mini Scout in his yard as one of the videos from the lock down time frame, but that is only a 3 channel.

dap35

Elite member
I have built and flown the TT (what I learned on), the FT-22, LongEZ [didn't get this working], and my own v-tail design (link in my signature). I understand your concern over the field size. Of what I have built, the FT-22 is probably the best I have experienced for slow flying but doesn't meet your 'upgradable to 4 channel' requirement. The TT does sound like what your looking for, it was reasonably flyable in the size of a soccer field ( a bigger then the area your talking about), but I prefer 2-3 times that size myself.

I know Bixler did a Mini Scout in his yard as one of the videos from the lock down time frame, but that is only a 3 channel.
You can easily add ailerons to the mini-scout, and the power pack comes with enough servos. I have flown mine in a church lot. It's also works with the FT Aura 5 flight controller which has 6-axis stabilization and launch control.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You can easily add ailerons to the mini-scout, and the power pack comes with enough servos. I have flown mine in a church lot. It's also works with the FT Aura 5 flight controller which has 6-axis stabilization and launch control.
Yup, I was just talking about the 'as is' state of it.

Haha I'm wanting the same thing, and I've almost finished one of my own design. I believe it'll run fine on a 2S, or I have 3S standing by. It's a quite simple build and I can configure it with any wing & tail surfaces I want. It seems I could do loads of things with this platform. If I put a more sailplane-like wing on it I think it should be even more gentle & graceful. We'll see. It'll maiden within a week!

I built it with a 30" wingspan and a simple box fuselage. 1806-2280kV. It's a lot like a Stik plane - Big Stik, Ugly Stik, etc. I thought I might hate it (!) but it's a handsome thing. Maybe it doesn't need to be complicated to be cool... :unsure:

IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0894.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Check out this little guy, its a combat plane but its a mini. Minimal build and materials, will fly 4ch and on 2S, a 2205 2300kv spinning a 6x3, would be a good plane to try. Actually I might give it a go myself, P-51 Mini

bwarz

Master member
thanks so much for the ideas! my 14yr old put a slightly larger wing with ailerons on his mini scout but he's still nervous in the small area. we've toyed around with some mods and maybe we'll take the stick idea and see how light we can make it. I suppose it's time to graduate into just making it up as we go! I do like the looks of that mini p51 too... We might just build one tonight!

BTW just ran 3 batteries through my micro t28 and no catastrophic crashes...yay! It lives to fly another day😁

bwarz

Master member
I got to build a mini bloody zero, but it didn't go so well lol. She flies a bit quicker that I'd hoped and all I can figure is I'm not throttling up going into turn 3 lol. She sure loves to nose dive when I start into that right turn! Violently 😆 I'm not too sure hot glue is going to help, but we're sure going to try! I'll probably end up building a mini bloody p51 as well 😆 🤣 😂

bwarz

Master member
LOL the @Grifflyer ShrubSmacker was was one of my earliest builds! At the time I build it, it was a bit big for my space - perhaps I will need to give it a try again. Quite fun to fly when it was new, although my last 'landing' tore it into three pieces and it hasn't really flown quite the same since:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've been looking into something like a 1404 and really skimping on the foam for the airframe. The bloody zero came in at 185g with a 650 3S and a 1806 plus three 3.8g servos. Maybe save a good amount of weight on the motor and a smallish 2S? The current battery and motor alone weigh 76g

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@FoamyDM is big into micro style planes. You should check out his vids. He is loaded with ideas and always has projects on the go. I was talking to him last night and he was working on some planes for the Easy pack FT has put out. He also has plenty of experience with the 1404 realm. Maybe he will chime in here at some point

bwarz

Master member
After perusing @FoamyDM posts I recall seeing a few of his builds! (like the Hexy). I do think that I'm going to look at building his Vance Viking for the flight field. I love building and I'm getting better at flying - which means I'm quickly getting an overstock of planes! I didn't see any micro stuff, perhaps I'll see if he weighs in here :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
After perusing @FoamyDM posts I recall seeing a few of his builds! (like the Hexy). I do think that I'm going to look at building his Vance Viking for the flight field. I love building and I'm getting better at flying - which means I'm quickly getting an overstock of planes! I didn't see any micro stuff, perhaps I'll see if he weighs in here :)
I mentioned to him his assistance is required...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
If you can afford it, get the FT-EZ. Or banggoods C-17. It will provide a good learning. It is forgiving and allows you to do us on mostly 1 channel. For a long time. About 18 mins. Plenty of time to get the hang of things

If you have the A-pack. Power system, then print you out the an FT speedster. And make and extra wing to build it as a bi-plane. It is slow agile and durable. So is the mini scout. If you can find @jpot1 mad the synergy that is interesting but somewhat docile. Or the old fogey. If you print it at 50% I bet it will be a gentle flyer.
At that size use paperclips for pushrods.
I took a P-38 shrunk to fit 8.5*11 sheets and made it from foam plates with the EZ engine. Or @nerdnic did a great job on a micro tiger moth.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I also made a 20" kfm arrow. And stuck a 1408 with a 3" prop it on. 2-5g servos. That is tons of fun. :)

Or with enough motors... You could try a spruce gosling like me.

bwarz

Master member
If you can afford it, get the FT-EZ. Or banggoods C-17. It will provide a good learning. It is forgiving and allows you to do us on mostly 1 channel. For a long time. About 18 mins. Plenty of time to get the hang of things

If you have the A-pack. Power system, then print you out the an FT speedster. And make and extra wing to build it as a bi-plane. It is slow agile and durable. So is the mini scout. If you can find @jpot1 mad the synergy that is interesting but somewhat docile. Or the old fogey. If you print it at 50% I bet it will be a gentle flyer.
At that size use paperclips for pushrods.
I took a P-38 shrunk to fit 8.5*11 sheets and made it from foam plates with the EZ engine. Or @nerdnic did a great job on a micro tiger moth.
ooo i forgot about @nerdnic s micro tiger moth! I guess I'll just have to build a bunch and see what the kids might be comfortable flying. Not that I actually enjoy building or anything....:LOL::ROFLMAO: I'll need to check out the C17 also. Thanks and I'll keep everyone informed on how we get along!!!

bwarz

Master member
Thanks for the help so far all! My kids and I headed out last evening to fly as we had zero wind and 85 degrees at 8PM. Unfortunately for my 10 year old we forgot the batteries for his timber :( The 8 year old was content with just watching - still quite nervous about "crashing you plane, Dad" I tell him I can always rebuild it but he's still so hesitant! We had a mini P51, mini B25, Simple Cub, Bushwhacker, ShrubSmacker, and modified mini scout in the air last evening, plus a HobbyZone Super Cub for a few. The 10 year old took that one up and panic-crashed hard - he felt so bad! But, we had it patched up last evening and I've got him not worrying about it any more this morning.

@BATTLEAXE - you've said in your scout thread "Now i only fly the larger planes because they are more forgiving and i can now fly them in a smaller space compared to flying the Minis when i started. I took up my Baby Blender today and kept it in a tight area even though its a larger plane." - what kind of space are you in? I think I'm going to build another Scout after a few mini scouts for the 8 and 10 year olds and might want to fly the beast in my tiny yard - just trying to set some expectations for myself!

One last question for all those more experienced than I. My minis that I'm flying (Zero, Corsair, B25) like coming in hot and when I glide in, they invariably stall fast and to one side, resulting in a cartwheel and crumpled wingtips. My mini P51 however is stable as a rock. I've gotten several flights on all, but it's generally the same thing so I've gotten to hoping they haven't mowed the surrounding field and I've got some weeds to land into without the cartwheels. Any thoughts? It all happens so fast! I've been thinking maybe some hard rudder right at the last moment to try to help? I need video on them to see if it's consistent to one side (which I expect....)

Thanks again to everyone here that provides knowledge, designs, support, (and entertainment!)!!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - you've said in your scout thread "Now i only fly the larger planes because they are more forgiving and i can now fly them in a smaller space compared to flying the Minis when i started. I took up my Baby Blender today and kept it in a tight area even though its a larger plane." - what kind of space are you in? I think I'm going to build another Scout after a few mini scouts for the 8 and 10 year olds and might want to fly the beast in my tiny yard - just trying to set some expectations for myself!
I have a vid that will come out soon and you will see how much space I have to work with. It is my backyard but it is over an acre of space, you could fit a couple of residential lots into it. It was something that looked claustrophobic when I started, but now with the right planes I can keep them inside the back yard and teach the kids how to do it in the same space

bwarz

Master member
I have a vid that will come out soon and you will see how much space I have to work with. It is my backyard but it is over an acre of space, you could fit a couple of residential lots into it. It was something that looked claustrophobic when I started, but now with the right planes I can keep them inside the back yard and teach the kids how to do it in the same space
Can't lie - kinda jealous! I wish I'd have been into planes when we bought the house so long ago! (My model trains were many-a-tour topic of frustration for my wife when we were looking for a bigger house for our growing family!) Our space lends to the factory micros well once comfortable. I've flown a mini scout 3 channel (RET) in the yard until it met my patio wall:ROFLMAO: I've built two, my 15 year old is on his third, modified with a longer wing set on top with rubber bands.... that design is what I've got going now for the 10 and 8 year olds (and, of course, one for myself). That and a full sized scout for the flight field. I need to fly (and crash) more as I'm amassing quite the variety of planes! :D I've run out of electronics and don't want to buy any more, but with four pilots in the house trips to the flight field have a mountain of FT style planes packed in;):):ROFLMAO::LOL: