• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

nerdnic's Spitfire 2.0 - now with aluminum spar and no poster board!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
#1
A month back I ended up losing my first FT build (and first plane ever) to a folded wing. I have since rebuilt and wanted to share with you guys how my new Spitfire turned out.

SPECS
Motor Suppo 1400kv 100g 500w
ESC 60a Detrum
Prop 9x6 APC
Battery 3700mah Rino 3S 25c
Tx/Rx FlySky T6
AUW 900g

PERFORMANCE
Vertical Unlimited
Top speed Unknown, but crazy fast

BUILD
Spar
I started off by getting a flat piece of aluminum from Home Depot and notched it.
Photo Mar 22, 10 41 27 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 22, 10 41 57 AM.jpg

Wing
The wing was a bit tricky to get right once the spar was in place.
Photo Mar 22, 11 08 43 AM.jpg

Getting the alignment right took a bit of time.
Photo Mar 22, 12 46 13 PM.jpg

I connect my server y cable directly to each server lead.
Photo Mar 22, 12 46 16 PM.jpg

Fuse
I decided to go with a no poster board build.
Photo Mar 22, 10 44 38 PM.jpg

I modified the plans a bit and can upload them if anyone is interested. The changes are subtle and I think it came out really solid.
Photo Mar 22, 10 44 31 PM.jpg

Extra formers for support weren't really needed for strength but it helped with gluing down the top.
Photo Mar 22, 10 44 55 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 22, 11 22 38 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 22, 11 22 52 PM.jpg

Came out real smooth and nice.
Photo Mar 22, 11 23 02 PM.jpg

Time for the front!
Photo Mar 22, 11 58 36 PM.jpg

I added some breather holes since all the electronics are internal.
Photo Mar 22, 11 58 45 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 23, 12 16 18 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 23, 12 16 21 AM.jpg

Starting to look like a plane!
Photo Mar 23, 12 16 25 AM.jpg

So clean with the wing attached. The fuse wing hole was the perfect size, there is no air gap on the top or the bottom of either side.
Photo Mar 23, 12 27 47 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 23, 12 27 51 AM.jpg

Cockpit
Added some color and I cut a whole in the bottom of the cockpit for my receiver and used a bbq skewer hinged pepsi bottle for access.
Photo Apr 01, 11 33 45 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 01, 11 33 33 AM.jpg

Powerpod
I modified the powerpod to add a scoop, about an inch to its height, and included the rest of the curved nose for a clean finish.
Photo Apr 01, 6 36 20 PM.jpg

My cockpit canopy skewer also goes through the rear of the pod and I added a front skewer for extra hold. Each hole is reinforced with thin plastic from my Tx packaging. I did this on both the plane and powerpod holes. My skewers break before any holes tear.
Photo Apr 01, 6 36 32 PM.jpg

Prime ESC placement for optimal airflow. I removed the shrink wrap from my ESC also to make sure it stays cool.
Photo Apr 01, 6 36 54 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 01, 7 24 20 PM.jpg

Landing gear
This landing gear ended up not working out as it was not strong enough, and it's no longer in use.
Photo Apr 01, 4 46 40 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 01, 4 46 52 PM.jpg
 

Attachments

Last edited:

joyster

Junior Member
#4
You have some great ideas nerdnic - it would be great if you could share the plans when you have finalized your design. I especially like the new nose treatment and turtledeck arrangements.
 

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
#5
You have some great ideas nerdnic - it would be great if you could share the plans when you have finalized your design. I especially like the new nose treatment and turtledeck arrangements.
Thanks! Unfortunately this Spitfire has been rebuilt 4 times over at this point and I no longer use the solid deck modification. I have plans in hard form but not digital so I won't be able to share them anytime soon.