New Build: FlexRC Pico-X running dRonin on Piko-BLX

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been playing around with preliminary support of dRonin on Piko-BLX. Initial bench testing is good. Throwing it on an 88mm FlexRC Pico-X frame:
PicoXparts.jpg

Frame: FlexRC Pico-X
FC: FuriousFPV Piko-BLX running dRonin
ESC: 4in1 10A BLHeli_S
RX: LemonRX 0007 Satellite
Motors: 1103 10,000kv

After initial testing will add AIO Camera/VTX

Hard to find M2 hardware that came with the frame, so I opted for printing and tapping my own standoffs using standard M3 hardware. Got my standoffs kinda dialed in. Right height, but a little lumpy. 2.5mm from frame to ESC, 5mm from ESC to FC.
PicoXside.jpg

Comparison of Pico-X to an original inductrix and a 5" prop/motor ready to go into a gray singlecopter.
PicoXcompare.jpg

More to come soon....

Cheers!
LitterBUg

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I think on these you have to go FPV. I wouldn't be able to see it in the air. :)

If you have video of this, I would love to see/hear it in flight. These tiny builds are getting more and more popular and I want one! :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Which props are you using there litterbug? I ordered some along with my FC/Motors/ESC's but...but they're just 2 blades and probably not optimal...but were cheap so I tossed them into the order.

Want to find some nice 3/4 blade to run on the 1103 8000kv motors but most of the popular options seem to be out of stock :p

At least my batteries arrived. But yet another day with no love from USPS on the rest of my parts :(

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@JH,
They are the RotorX RX2535-SMBLK cut down to size with the fancy 3D-printed Prop-clipper. Yeah, glad I stocked up when I did cuz they are outta stock now.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
No pictures to show from last night's work. Wired the 4in1 ESC to the FC and tested all the motors. They are not very smooth with a ton of vibration for how small they are. I hope that will go away or at least be toned down with props added. Will do vibration analysis on each motor with the props oriented in all four orientations to do a quick balance. Updated the ESCs to the latest BLHeli. Calibrated ESC endpoints and checked rotation of the motors compared to the order of the wires coming out of the motors. Will shorten the motor wires and wire them up for proper rotation tonight. I don't like correcting rotation via BLHeli in case I want to fly 3D in the future. Got a rough weight of 40g for the base config with no battery or FPV gear. That may go up or down a tiny bit as I trim wires and make slight adjustments to the fasteners and add orientation LEDs.

Cheers!
LitterBug

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Litterbug, that looks like an awesome little build. Nice job on the standoffs.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
S. M. All. :cool:

After seeing this I definitely want one of the Gremlins to build. Guess its back ramon noodles and PBJ next month so I can get the parts. I will probably wade in to the dronin pool with it as well after seeing how it has progressed and I can blame / pester you with any issues that may arise. :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
@JH,
Some DYS 3020 tri blade props that may be of intrest: https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=534_880_881&products_id=6516

Cheers!
LitterBug

Thanks for the tip...I had heard DYS had some possibly suitable props...but my googling had yet to find them anywhere. My motors/FC/ESC finally updated on USPS last night with "Shipment delayed - unknown delivery date" but as of this morning they had finally made it to PHX so I'm hopeful they could be here for the weekend. Fingers crossed. My props which shipped separately still haven't even checked into LA :(

PsyBorg - I fully encourage jumping on the dRonin train...but...I would also warn that pico blx isn't necessarily the best way to do it...at least not yet. Support is still in it's early stages and only available on developer builds, with things like the vehicle wizard probably not working for it yet and IIRC only one or two people having tested it so far. There's also a 20x20 sized version of the Revo out which should work with the standard dRonin Revo target (http://www.banggood.com/Micro-Betaf...-2020mm-Built-in-PDB-5V-1A-BEC-p-1125680.html) I'm assured that the boards are actually much better looking than BG's photo :p It's not that proven in that I'm unaware of anyone having flown one...but if it is indeed just a minaturized version of the Revo then it should "just work" with the revo target which is extremely well tested and proven. Of course BG being BG simply saying it's a revo doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a revo so again probably best to wait a bit for someone else to confirm unless you're feeling brave.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PsyBorg - I fully encourage jumping on the dRonin train...but...I would also warn that pico blx isn't necessarily the best way to do it...at least not yet. Support is still in it's early stages and only available on developer builds, with things like the vehicle wizard probably not working for it yet and IIRC only one or two people having tested it so far. There's also a 20x20 sized version of the Revo out which should work with the standard dRonin Revo target (http://www.banggood.com/Micro-Betaf...-2020mm-Built-in-PDB-5V-1A-BEC-p-1125680.html) I'm assured that the boards are actually much better looking than BG's photo :p It's not that proven in that I'm unaware of anyone having flown one...but if it is indeed just a minaturized version of the Revo then it should "just work" with the revo target which is extremely well tested and proven. Of course BG being BG simply saying it's a revo doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a revo so again probably best to wait a bit for someone else to confirm unless you're feeling brave.

I wasn't joking when I mentioned the noodles n PBJ. I have very limited discretionary funds. So buying another FC for the Gremlin atm is not in the cards. I have been eyeing the lonely Versa copter while working on the Caudron build for Team Rockyboy and thinking that needs to be back in the air now that I have reacquired the parts from the Alien I borrowed from it to get the Alien in the air. That has an spf3 clone that Dronin should run on if I am correct? Maybe that will be the learning platform again as it was when I started to fly. I have been wanting to fly that again to revisit the tuning and see how my skills have progressed so starting with fresh firmware and gui would be the perfect test.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Alright sister mary sunshine... hush yer rainin on my parade of ideas :p Well I guess Dronin will be a new step at a later date. I still have to get the parts to start the project before even thinking about what to run on it I guess.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Cleaning things up and doing some final pre-flight checks tonight. Should be a go for indoor fly tomorrow night.

ButtoningUp.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Alright sister mary sunshine... hush yer rainin on my parade of ideas :p Well I guess Dronin will be a new step at a later date. I still have to get the parts to start the project before even thinking about what to run on it I guess.

Yeah, SPF3 uses Naze style USB wiring with a CP2102 chip off a serial port instead of using the STM's built in USB support. That makes it impossible to use dRonin's bootloader which makes flashing and upgrading more difficult. There are also a lot of poor quality SPF3 clones, some questionable design choices in the SPF3 itself, and not all of the clones are 100% compatible (sometimes they swap sensors around) so it's not something dRonin wants to support as it's highly likely to create a lot of support issues for the developers. *flight is more forgiving of targest with sensors changed around because their firmware probes the sensors to determine which to use - but that means it needs code to talk to all of those sensors built into the firmware all the time. dRonin on the other hand uses rigidly defined targets so it's code use is more efficient as it only has to build the drivers into that firmware that are actually used. This saves a good bit of space which leaves room for things like autotune and navigation code. It's also a general architecture difference - dRonin in general is more rigidly defined about just about everything. Like how rates are coded as deg/s instead of a an arbitrary multiplier, and how hangtime is part of actuator clipping management which deals with how to react when requesting moves that require more or less motor input than physically possible - while airmode basically just forces the PID controller to stay running when it usually wouldn't.

There has been a bit of talk about adding F3evo support since it did away with the CP2102 chip and uses the F3's native USB allowing the bootloader to work. And the emax femto being based on it is tempting. But...again there's a lot of goofiness with the clones and the developers are focused on the pico blx and polishing up seppuku support right now so another new target isn't likely anytime soon. I've toyed with the idea of trying to make a target for F3evo myself...but...that's a bigger project than I've taken on before and I'm a little short on time right now. My old flyingF4 used custom sensors - which required modifying the default FlyingF4 target...but was really just changing a half dozen lines in the target definition to tell it to use different sensor code - all of the wiring was the same and the sensor drivers were already there. F3evo support would big a bigger project since the wiring is different so I'd have to learn how the F3evo is wired (probably by looking at the betaflight source) and then modify a similar dronin target. I could probably pull it off...but I don't have an F3evo or femto board and don't have funds to get one anytime soon and even if I did have such a big pile of projects already half completed I really don't need another.

Though...I know LitterBug has been talking about dusting off his old C skills and looking for something on dRonin to hack at ;) Personally I'd rather see him help out with improving GCS and OSD support. But with spring starting I suspect he'll be doing more flying and less hacking for the next few months :D (and conversely with summer on the horizon I'll be doing less flying and more hiding in the AC so who knows maybe a coding project will start to sound more interesting to me soon.)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor

Out of stock unfortunately...I'll have to check the other colors. The ones from yesterday were in stock...but funds are super tight this week and next week...and even with the shipping discount just ordering 2 sets of props the cheapest shipping was more than the cost of props which I hate dealing with. So...need to wait until I can afford to buy enough stuff that I'm not spending more on shipping than goods :D

The props I do have on order already finally hit LA and are scheduled for delivery Tuesday finally. Motors/ESCs/fc are still in PHX with no revised delivery date...but at least they're moving again :p

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Could not wait till tonight and snuck in a quick test in the back yard. Windy, gusty, swirly winds was blowing it all around, but still got an autotune. Going to redo it indoors tonight and hope to work on the singlecopter too.

Cheers,
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got another autotune tonight indoors. Was flying LOS in Leveling and Horizon modes. Flew great up until I lost orientation and put it into the wall. No spare props with me. Going to add LEDs for LOS orientation. Something this small is so hard to see for these old eyes. Going to have to find longer props screws. These were holding on by 1 thread. Hopefully didn't kill the threads in the bell of the motor that took the brunt of the hit and through a prop.

Cheers!
LitterBug