NEW BUILD: Shen Drones Krieger 225 DTF Seppuku FC dRonin firmware

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just thought he got put on payroll testing flight controllers and software and they no longer allowed him to be publik.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Lassie just pulled me and Timmy out of the well. Payroll... Pipe dream WISH!!! :cool: 99% of this stuff is open source freeware. Been very busy with family, yardwork, mowing the AMA field, bicycling, and this is prime migraine season for me. I'm a resposible adddict. LOL! Gotta start getting CrAYzeE and FUN stuff ready for FF east. This build is near the top of the list... Need to get Santa a Beach shirt. Pretty sure he will make an appearance.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Almost re-ready to go! :)

Spent a bunch of time on this rework tonight. Put all new standoffs on the FC stack... Previous ones were pretty brutalized and had to go. Rewired the battery plug to go out the back instead of the side so the FPV frame can be taken off and back on without having to disassemble half the stack.
KreigerReworkStandoffs.jpg

Figured out that the Camera frame that I 3D printed was for a Krieger knock off with larger dimensions and will not work. Drilled some holes in the FPV framing to add aluminum cross bracing to prevent another branch from destroying all the gear again.... (hopefully) Fully wired up the new FC got it mounted up and started working on the FPV frame. 95% done at this point. Could have it in the air in sort order but wanted to take a break and do a quick sanity check before busting out the smokestopper and plugging her in. Hopefully the weather will dry out some time over the weekend and I'll be able to get out to the field.
ReworkAlmostComplete.jpg

After going initial FC config and quick test of ESCs/Motors, I'll plug the RX, Camera, and VTX in and should be good to go!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Have it all together and got a LOS Autotune in the back yard. Not sure why, but yaw and pitch were reversed and also managed to put the rear props on backwards. Hopefully that is all the bad that is going to happen any time soon. This thing is scary fast.... hovers at 15%. Can't wait to get it out to the field for FPV maiden. Going bump the rates up to play a bit more in the back yard checking everything else out. Figured as fast as it is, some bright caution orange props were a better idea than the white it had before.
RebuiltAndAutotuned.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Re-FPV-Maiden

Got out for FPV maiden over the weekend. SUCCESS! NO TREES! Took it a bit cautious and need to make some adjustments. Forgot to re-enable Hang-Time, which is the dRonin equivalent to Air-Mode. So when I chopped it to zero throttle while inverted, it got kind of fun for a sec. Need to redo OSD layout. Just left it at the defaults for this flight. Need to calibrate Current sensor... Was way off on the low side and it's a good thing I came in at 800mah used instead of my normal 1200. Did one punch out, > 100fps climb rate! WOOT!. Didn't really punch it to hard in forward flight. Was using a pretty low camera angle. Still looks purdy darn quick for how high I was flying. Very windy at the field that day too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ruh Roh Raggy....

One screenshot says it all.... Same place Krieger went down last time, just much less damage and for a whole other reason.
RXfailsafe.jpg

More to come...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Managed to get the Krieger repaired at FFE and popped it up for some LOS and one FPV. That was my last FPV flight for FFE, as there was too much stomping going on. Managed to get it down despite some really bad interference. Go a couple full throttle punchouts in LOS. First time I've been able to do that in a wide open place and it was S_C_A_R_Y! Looks much faster LOS than FPV.
RepairedAtFFE.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOL, This continues to be the build that has all the problems. All I can do is laugh. Tried to get a nice easy flight in over at the field tonight, and managed to snag a branch, knock the FPV antenna into the props, and take out a couple props... Need to develop the film and post it in the don't panic thread...
LOL

LOL

LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
STILL you day is going better then mine in the quad copter aspect of life. After trying to chop limbs off with mine and exploding props I got that part figured out and got in the air only to learn my new quad is a flying tuning fork and actually sings when the props turn. And I am learning the FRsky XM + receiver is a total piece of junk. I been dealing with desync's, brown outs, and flat out Quad says I quit because of harmonics in the frame. For a while I would arm and just that little bit of resonance would shut the fc down.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well bah... Didn't start the DVR before all the crashin last night. Did manage to get two flights in tonight. 1 with the props running in the wrong direction was quite entertaining. And one uber conservative flight.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
better then I did at FF that morning we flew.. I had the DVR plugged in and going.. With NO STUPID MEMORY CARD!!!!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think all the demons have finally been exorcised from this build!!! :) I redid the VTX antenna mount with firm attachment, replaced a broken RX antenna, and threw the latest dRonin Release on it last night. Had it out at the field, managed to autotune it, and get 4 packs through it with no incidents! WOOT! WOOT! :applause: Latest dRonin autotune is absolutely AWESOME!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Three trips to the field now with no issues. This thing flat out RIPS! Been playing with different props and batteries. Last night my professional pilot buddy was at the field and wanted to see it punch out LOS. Had a 4S Tattu R-Line 1550mah 95C battery with a set of gemfan CF6x4.5x2 props on it and ripped off 5 x 400' punches in a row. Battery came down barely warm after the >100 amp pulls. 120FPS climb rate which is 7200Feet per Minute. LOL!! My pilot buddy's jaw nearly fell off as he watched in disbelief. He thinks it was closer to 10,000 FPM climb rate. So that also means that @ 120Fps, it was climbing against gravity at 81mph. The baro on this Seppuku FC board seems to be pretty accurate so I'll trust the numbers it reported until proven otherwise. Need to get a GPS on it so I can check forward speed next.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Was having a bit o fun at the field Monday night, making people chuckle as always. Tested a few different sets of props and doing punch UPS and punch Downs.... What you ask is a punch down? It comes immediately following an extended punch up, invert 180 degrees, and punch the throttle back down! LOL

My buddy was watching from his Alien as I went up, and back down past him. Appears I had just started chopping throttle and was @ 17% still pulling 1.8G DOWN....
PunchDown.jpg
Max descent rate measured by the baro was 120fps and >100A current too. Really wish I would have had my R-Line battery charged, it was SO much quicker Sunday. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug