New - considering best way to start fixed-wing FPV

Hey all! Just joined. I built up and flew a bunch of glow-powered control line and one R/C plane ~20+ years ago, but never really got to a point where I could solo R/C.

Just watched a few YouTube’s from FliteTest, and boy, things have changed!

I’d really like to get into a simple electric trainer that I can build some skill with, and ideally jump to FPV flying asap. Something slow, simple, and sturdy would be ideal.

I’m eyeing the FT Simple Cub to start, anything y’all think might make a better trainer? And for a first FPV setup, is there an all-in-one kit I can buy to get started without doing a ton of research?

Finally, with the newer radios and electric motors, it sounds like it’s much easier to go to a local soccer field or something to fly as long as it’s empty - anything regulatory-wise I should keep in mind?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Anything over 250 grams has to be registered with the FAA. FPV requires a Technician class HAM license. Not supposed to fly more then 400 ft from the control spot (think dome not altitude) as its distance as well now. Not closer then 5 miles of an airport. Read up on things to find all the new laws to familiarize yourself with where you can or can not fly where you are.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’d really like to get into a simple electric trainer that I can build some skill with, and ideally jump to FPV flying asap. Something slow, simple, and sturdy would be ideal.

The Cub is a great trainer, but if you want to FPV you should check out the FT Explorer, which is also a great trainer. The Explorer has the motor in the rear, leaving the nose of the plane open to install a FPV camera.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-explorer-build

slowjo

Master member
Welcome, the cub is a favorite but it does have some quirks, seems like you really need to fly with alot of rudder in turns... things that would be harder with FPV

Awesome feedback - thank you all! I also continued searching and found this series from FliteTest - posting for other newbs doing their own searches: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

Is there an equivalent to RTF for an FPV kit? I’d love to just buy a kit that’s all tuned up and ready to work with the other components vs climbing the learning curve while also learning to fly...

Finally, I grabbed a funny little RC Simulator for my iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/absolute-rc-simulator/id534915930

I’m curious - how closely does that app match actual fight behavior of a trainer-type airplane? Would love to hear from someone more experienced. ;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Flight sims get close sometimes but you have to tune them to match what you feel on RL rc planes. The sims are more for familiarizing yourself with controls, developing that muscle memory for basic flight, and letting you panic crash as much as you want without costing money or killing aircraft.

The better ones to use let you use your own radio thru a dongle, usb port, or interfacing with your receiver from a plane. This way you get the feel for what you will actually be flying with. Why learn twice right? The "feel" of your radio vs a game controller is HUGE and could have a bad effect on your abilities.

Flyingshark

Master member
Awesome feedback - thank you all! I also continued searching and found this series from FliteTest - posting for other newbs doing their own searches: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

Is there an equivalent to RTF for an FPV kit? I’d love to just buy a kit that’s all tuned up and ready to work with the other components vs climbing the learning curve while also learning to fly...

Finally, I grabbed a funny little RC Simulator for my iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/absolute-rc-simulator/id534915930

I’m curious - how closely does that app match actual fight behavior of a trainer-type airplane? Would love to hear from someone more experienced. ;)
I have that exact app! As @PsyBorg said, sims are more useful for developing reflexes than actually learning how a plane flies.
Since it's for a phone, AbsoluteRC is controlled by a touchscreen, so what you do with your fingers doesn't translate well to a real transmitter. I just use it from time to time to get myself a little pseudo-flight-time. When I build a PC over the winter, I'm hoping to get RealFlight and a USB jack for my DX6e.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Is there an equivalent to RTF for an FPV kit?
Welcome back to the hobby, and to the forums. As for a good FPV ship to learn piloting again, one good airframe that will get you there, would be the Strix Stratosurfer. It is very much like the Explorer being a high wing pusher that is great for FPV. Check it out...
Product link
https://store.flitetest.com/strix-stratosurfer-electric-airplane-kit-1500mm-srx-160037/p1176433
All the replacement parts are there if you need it, cuz crashes will happen. You will need to buy the electronics and put it together, but the cool thing about that is if you build it, you will know how to fix it. All the specs are on the site, so you will know exactly what you need. And if this is a bit much to take on there is a link in the link for other models of similar design and purpose, if this is something you could sink your teeth into. Keep us posted

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'd say either the Simple Cub or explorer, just make sure to reinforce the spar of the explorer with at least packing tape going lengthwise, if not some paint sticks. A member at my field had one which flew great, but it's wings folded and lawn darted. Luckily the nose absorbed most of the impact, which is a good benefit of the Explorer. The Cub can fly borderline 3d if the controls are set to the max, and it can also fly really docile, it just depends how you set up the controls. If you know you're going to do FPV, which it seems you do, I'd get the explorer.
Oh yeah, something random. The guy at my field who had an explorer made what is sort of a mini version of it which is a hybrid of the Explorer and a flotaplane motor mount. If you need to fit it in a smaller space that should do similar things to the Explorer.