New FPV Plattform - SCRATCH BUILD URSUS

Doom

Hey everybody,

so, about a week ago I crashed my Blunt Nose Versa Wing. It was my main FPV-Plattform. I always had a little trouble launching that thing safe. So my thought was, ok, wings still good, servo for Pan-Function of the camera - gone, 4000 mah 3S Lipo - gone, Blunt Nose - needs some fixing done, Motor mount - torn from plane! Yeah, I thought it is time for a plane that I can rely on more when it comes to launching.

So I started searching on the Internet (mainly Google Pictures search) for some nice looking and at the same time easy to launch mule to carry my APM Setup plus FPV-Setup plus Gopro for nicer Video afterwards. What kept poppong up was the URSUS by some polish guy who turns out to be a genius. It is a twin boom pusher with loads of space in it, wingspan is 180cm and overall flightweight about 1,5 kg. It could run of a standard sized motor and had the ability to take off from ground. Here is a picture:

ursus.jpg

I wanted to build that thing from scratch, so I ended up taking measurements from pictures, calculating, buying depron, and so on...

I started with the wing. Wanted it to be 140cm wingspann and detachable so I could transport it easier:

image.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image-4.jpeg

So now I have the two outer wingparts each 46 cm wide with a 19cm wingchord. It is reinforced with balsa and plywood as well as a 5mm Carbon rod all through the wing (at least one meter). In the plywood I added a threaded bolt (where the wings are screwed together! And on leading and trailing edge I added a popsicle stick to hold the wing in place. The complete wing is made of 5mm depron covered on one side!

Next up was the fuselage. My first attempt was to use 5mm depron that I would reinforce with a wooden box from front to end. That was wobbling around a lot so I decided I had to use stronger depron. Here you can see what I came up with:

image-1.jpeg

So I used a layer of 5mm depron combined with 10mm depron. This gave the fuselage a lot more stability and me a bigger protion to glue to. In the middle I made two formers of the 10mm depron just to help the box keep its shape no matter what!

The wing/fuselage joint was relatively easy to do. It is basically a 2mm plywood epoxied to the top of the fuselage and on the inner sides of the fuselage 1mm plywood, ca´ed to the 2mm part. Put some threads on there and there we go. On that I epoxied the motormount I had left over from the Blunt Nose Versa.

Now came the tricky part. I did not want to use carbon rods for booms, it had to look like the original. So I went for a layer of 5mm - 10mm - 5mm depron. The 10mm part also becoming the rudders and on the long side a carbon rod glued into it to make it very stable! The connection between the two booms would obviously be the elevator, made of two layers of 5mm depron sanded in shape just like the rudders.

Back to the fuselage. I wanted this plane to be my main FPV Plattform. I chose a pusher setup because I did not want any prop in my sight and I also did not want a skanky camera to be on top of or on front of the plane. So I put the main FPV cam right into the nose with just the lens seeking out of it. On top of that a little laid back is the Gopro velcroed to some plywood.

For now this is my progress, except for the booms, the plane is covered in red and black, FPV-cam mounted, Servos installed, receiver installed, motor ready (with a slight upwards angle!)! Next step is the maiden as soon as the weather and my allergy allow it. Here some more photos, also, I´d be really happy for some feedback. Maybe some of you highly professionals have some input, some mistakes I might have made but can´t see or just how you like it:)

image-5.jpeg image-7.jpeg image-8.jpeg image-6.jpeg image-2.jpeg Foto 1.JPG Foto 3.JPG Foto 2.JPG

Michael9865

Elite member
Awesome plane and article. It looks very strong and durable. Will you be sharing your plans or drawings of your creation?

Doom

hi, yeah sure, if there is any intrest, i'd love to share. will have to do the maiden still, i need to know if it flies good. and as soon as the plattform proofs itself, i will be doing some photoshop:)
thanks so far for the feedback!

Doom

Hey, thanks a lot. So I kinda did a little maiden yesterday realizing that I placed the Elevator a littl wrong. It has to have at least 2.5° Up elevation. That has to be corrected, other than that I must say it was a pretty nice flyer. Might add winglets since I do not have dihedral at all. Had the impression that it would tipstall to easy. Plans to come soon!!!

Doom

almost done with the plans, will upload them in a few hours tomorrow morning:) if anybody does build this, i'd be the proudest ever scratchbuilder in the world!

Doom

Plans for the Twinboom Doom

I finally got the plans done. I also have the plans in .eps if anyone wants to rescale them. The PDF plans are for a 140cm wingspan. I used the same motor mount I had from my FT Blunt Nose versa wing and glued it with a 2.5° degree angle upwards on the plywood part where the wing lies. I did not put marks in the plan where to glue them. It depends on the motor you use. The plywood box should have enough space for lipo, esc and to put the servo wires through. CG is for what I know by now around 5.5 to 6.5 cm.

View attachment Twinboom-Doom 1.pdf

View attachment Twinboom-Doom 2.pdf

gecko242

Dude no way hahaha, I have just scratchbuilt a similar FPV/Speed plane, similar to yours but with FSW :D Good luck!

gecko242

Sorry, Forward Swept Wing :) Sorry for the awful quality, will post some better ones when its done! Not technically a twin boom I guess, but not far off... Complete scratch build, no clue if it will fly ahahah img_0018[1].jpg img_0019[1].jpg img_0020[1].jpg

Doom

awesome!! it looks like some white klingon bird of prey. fsw is indeed nice. looks like the more sportive brother of mine:) good lick with the maiden!

Doom

soooo, yesterday I crashed it. EPIC! Nose first into the ground. Right after I installed the APM and everything:) Well, have to make a new fuselage. Will do so this weekend including some improvements:) MUAHAHAHAHA....

SmilingDevil

Hey @Doom , so since we live relatively close by, I thought we might team up for some Maiden flights and Help each other on that and if you want, some filming ... that is IF this Build actually had some follow up ever since..? The Plane looked well done, did you give it another shot? Saw you active yesterday..

Axel

Last edited:

Doom

hey axel,

to be honest, after that epic crash, i had to build something more rewarding so i went with an ft plane. never went back to trying:) but, after flitefest, i wanna do some more scratchbuilding and maiden is always more fun with others who are crazy about flight:)

long story short, i would love to go flying together:)