Help! New Guy, my 13 year old and I are new flyers. How to graduate from FT Airliner?

cabiv

Well, we crash if we fly things other than the FT Airliner. So we bought a five pack of more batteries and we go nuts with our two FT Airliners. Truly love them fly them multiple times a week. I think we have worn out the motors on one plane just since Flite Fest. However we are too embarrassed to say what else we have crashed! and trashed, but flights were short and tragic.

We have a ready and built but not maidened FT tiny trainer beginner wing with the aura 5 and a completed FT F22. We have a Sonic modell 600mm wing no maiden. We even have the spektrum simulator on our TV. And we practice. We are kind of gun-shy right now due to lack of success with anything else.

What do you recommend for graduating to other planes than our FT Airliners?

I kind of wish we could fly something with the durability/lightness of the FT Airliner without the gyro and with our Spektrum transmitter. Man they crash with forgiveness! Is their something on the market? Can the FT airliner be converted to fly with Spektrum or no gyro? Would that even help us learn? I love the concept of FT foamboard kits but I think I contribute to build variations that make it harder to learn.

We went to Flite Fest and love this hobby but we are trying to learn and fly as much as we can before the snow starts to fly here in Wisconsin. Suggestions from the sages or experienced crashers?
I am in about the same place as you - building FT Trainer as we speak. I have had luck with little planes with both EZ 2 channel and 3 Channel planes. Flew an EZ 3 channel modified EZ Stealth at Flite Fest. Even added a white led and flew it at night some.

Share if you find something out that works. Not sure if my wrecks are me, bad build, or something else.

I am in about the same place as you - building FT Trainer as we speak. I have had luck with little planes with both EZ 2 channel and 3 Channel planes. Flew an EZ 3 channel modified EZ Stealth at Flite Fest. Even added a white led and flew it at night some.

Share if you find something out that works. Not sure if my wrecks are me, bad build, or something else.
I think I remember you flying your stealth on Saturday during the day it flew well. My son was flying the airliner at the same time. I'm going to try to fly my RealFlight simulator more, and then I'm going to maiden the tiny trainer. I may try to get the guys at the local AMA club to buddy box me? I'll let you know how it goes.

quorneng

Master member
Not sure if my wrecks are me, bad build, or something else.
This is a good argument for initially buying an 'Ready To Fly' foam trainer. It will fly. If it doesn't then its down to you.
This was exactly what I did when I took up RC after a break of some 35 years! As a keen longtime modeller once I could fly it reasonably, after the usual crashes, I started working out how to make it fly better and for longer. That started in 2009 and i still fly it but now as part of an embarrisingly large fleet. Of course now only a small part of the original plane remains. Its a case of 'an original broom' but with a new head and handle many times over!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well you have the muscle memory down enough you shouldn't panic if a plane is not doing what is supposed to do so that's a good start.

Two things I learned that are SUPER important. Getting the CG (center of gravity) set right so the plane flys nice and level. I started out taking "Oldschool" balsa advice to make the plane a little nose heavy... Well being by myself and new what I thought was a little nose heavy was a lot nose heavy so I had many failures to launch. It all finally clicked for me when I was told how to do glide tests. I had much better success when I got my glide tests to go flat and true and not with a little "Nose heavy"

Second they say to set up 30% expo on the various channels. Well start at more like 60% the first few launches to give a better chance of getting past the toss and over correcting. If the trainer plane has a flat glide slope it should fly pretty good proving proper speed at launch. Once you get a few tosses under your belt you can start lowering EXPO as you get more comfortable and more confident. Just make sure you set the throws to be able to go the recommended full deflection so you will be able to turn the plane to get it back to you.

Well that explains a lot, I am currently not capable to fly without electrical board level assistance, no wonder I crash.

On RealFlight Trainer Edition, I am "flying" with my spectrum Dxs and the corresponding USB dongle receiver. Based on these guys' suggestions I turned off all of the "Safe" assistance, which mimics their gyro stabilization on the AeroScout.

I was able to fly around race track style. But when I seriously considered trying to land. I either flew too far away or just crashed based on some dumb input into the controller 4 out 5 times.

It's like real work, but I'll practice and let you guys know and a week or two if I've gotten better. At least they don't have to fix the plane every time.

So I see the point of the gyro stabilized airliner and the aura board to get people to want to do this hobby. But it's not a helpful crutch if you want to learn how to truly fly.

I wonder how realistic this is flying the aeroscout 1.1?

Cabiv I was flying the simulator tonight. And I don't do very well. I would recommend you get the simulator and the USB dongle if you have spektrum controllers.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
honestly.... i've tried the TT, explorer, scout, ft old speedster, and a couple more... (all got crashed on first flights... but the one that actually flew easiest, is stated below)

the absolute best one has got to be the ft old speedster...
that thing can take a huge beating.... flies real slow, and handles really well...
this is the plane i have learnt on.... now after totally trashing it in a straight down dive from 20m.... (pilot error) after about 10 reasonably successful flights
i feel confident to move onto something else...
if i was to recommend any plane to anyone, it would be the ft old speedster... when i first flew it, i was struck by just how easily it flew...
it flies soo easily... and it is a very simple build...

just my experience of a begginer, and crashes;)
I also throw in my vote for the old speedster, it’s such a simple and easy build that flies absolutely amazing!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I also throw in my vote for the old speedster! It’s such a simple and easy build that flies absolutely amazing!
yup and it is durable... just beware when you are flying it don't use your rudder without rates or expo... the wing likes dipping really fast, if you are using your aerobatic throws...:ROFLMAO:

earthsciteach

The best FT airplane for you at this stage is the FT Flyer. You can drive it through the air like an RC car on the ground. It is 3 channel so you don't have to deal with ailerons. Put the rudder on the aileron channel and that will help develop the muscle memory you need to move up to more complex airplanes. You need something slow, forgiving and light enough to not suffer significant damage when it hits the ground. FT Flyer for the win!

bwarz

Master member
Lots of good suggestions from lots of great pilots! My son and I started out with the FT Scout - in retrospect probably not the best of choices. I really don't think it ever 'flew' - it was more like uncontrolled mayhem - but that was most assuredly us learning. The second victim was the FT Simple Cub. Both started life as 3 channel. We built. We flew. We crashed. We repaired (or rebuilt). The FT mantra :LOL:
It is more important to not get discouraged, and not get too attached to the planes that you build :D and just have fun learning together. As winter rolls in (as it does here in NW PA) put in the time on the Sim and by spring it will be that much easier. The club is a great suggestion as well. You meet so many great people in this hobby!
Hang in there and have fun. And in another way of saying it - if you or your son crash (or if you are like me and my son, you have a mid-air collision in the middle of a huge field with nobody else around) have a great laugh and go home and spend some more quality time rebuilding!

Welcome to the hobby!

Well it has been a month, I have practiced pretty faithfully on the Real Flight 9.5 Simulator for three weeks. It really helped with orientation and comfort with my with my controller. Then I promptly crashed my Tiny Trainer - 3 channel version and crushed my front fuselage. I then printed a 3D front fuselage for the tiny trainer, it makes it nose heavy but works awesome! Much more crash durable and the hatch is sooo nice. I have ruined one motor (use threadlock folks) and broke 3 props (I have tons more). But...

...Now I can fly well enough to dislike a 3 channel plane, but still love flying it and need more batteries.

Question for you many geniuses! I will soon have the Aileron Wing for the Tiny Trainer done.

Currently on the simulator, I mostly "Bank and Yank" with the 4 channel sim planes to turn. After flying this Rudder/Elevator 3 CH Tiny Trainer, I see the benefits of rudders :) in tight turns. So I have been playing with 4 channels Sims, incorporating rudder. I think I left the rudder alone to make one less input, while bank and yank.

What is the next evolution of my flying training? How much do you geniuses use the rudder in "normal RC" 4 Channel plus flying? Is there a video series to learn in these obvious steps online?

My 13 year old is still scarred by his ugly crashes and thinks the simulator is a horrible boring video game. So I just ordered a Crashtesthobby Albatross after scouring the web for trainer planes that crash much more happier. Curse you foam board gods! :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2027423

20210928_192506.jpg

20210928_194327.jpg

Well, we crash if we fly things other than the FT Airliner. So we bought a five pack of more batteries and we go nuts with our two FT Airliners. Truly love them fly them multiple times a week. I think we have worn out the motors on one plane just since Flite Fest. However we are too embarrassed to say what else we have crashed! and trashed, but flights were short and tragic.

We have a ready and built but not maidened FT tiny trainer beginner wing with the aura 5 and a completed FT F22. We have a Sonic modell 600mm wing no maiden. We even have the spektrum simulator on our TV. And we practice. We are kind of gun-shy right now due to lack of success with anything else.

What do you recommend for graduating to other planes than our FT Airliners?

I kind of wish we could fly something with the durability/lightness of the FT Airliner without the gyro and with our Spektrum transmitter. Man they crash with forgiveness! Is their something on the market? Can the FT airliner be converted to fly with Spektrum or no gyro? Would that even help us learn? I love the concept of FT foamboard kits but I think I contribute to build variations that make it harder to learn.

We went to Flite Fest and love this hobby but we are trying to learn and fly as much as we can before the snow starts to fly here in Wisconsin. Suggestions from the sages or experienced crashers?

bisco

Elite member
i use the rudder to turn, and the ailerons to control bank angle, making the best looking most coordinated turns possible for good practice.
most ailerons are fairly twitchy, so if you're not ready to roll yet, dial in a low rate and high expo.

i like to start at 30%/50% to start, then work my way up as i get more comfortable.