New Guy

mmitchellmoss

So, I had always wanted to fly RC planes when I was a kid. Back in those days though not only was everything too expensive for me, but it took way to much time to build a plane / rebuild it every time you flew it. Everything was gas powered and cost more as a result too. I was amazed now that I have grown up and looked into it again. Everything seems so much more reasonable in cost and potentially easier to build or buy (if you don't jump too far into the deep end). I couldn't believe the power and performance that people get out of electric motors these days too. I am very excited by all of this.

I have purchased a couple of prebuilt airplanes to learn with. I am most excited though about being able to build things on my own. The foamboard stuff is just really cool to me. I have never had any interest in quadcopters, but after viewing this site I am even looking forward to trying to build one. I smoke a lot of cigars and thus have a lot of cigar boxes. I think it would be really fun to try and build a cigar box quad. I will probably have to post on here for some advice at some point.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thank for such a great site. I am doing my best to reign in my enthusiasm and just learn one small lesson at a time.
- Mitch

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to Flite Test mate!

Bring your swimmies as there is only one end to this pool and it is always deep. No one here can jump in and not go nutz about the hobby. Its simply impossible between the ease of working with foam and all the enablers here in the forums taunting you to do more hehe.

Sooo just how big are them cigar boxes anyway.....

mmitchellmoss

Thanks PsyBorg, that is what I am afraid of.

The cigar boxes vary quite a bit in size, but I measured a couple of "average" sized ones. They are as follows:
Wooden box: 230mm X 150mm X 50mm @ 256 grams
Cardboard box: 210mm X 160mm X 50mm @ 264 grams

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you build your quad out of cigar boxes I would love to see it fly overhead dropping cigars like bombs. Cigars are nice but sadly very expensive!

As for the "Deep End", there is no such thing. Its more like walking on Quicksand. You don't realise it has got you until it is too late, you are beyond help, and hopelessly & fatally trapped! I think it is a Chinese plot to take all of my spare money!

Have fun getting a new addiction!

mmitchellmoss

Thanks Hai-Lee. Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Like you say though it would be really expensive to be dumping cigars all over the place. Maybe it could just fly over to you and serve you one. Thanks again.