New here - addicted to foam-board already!

Earl Turner

Hi all - happened upon some videos of Flite-Test foam-board models about a month ago - now I cant stop building. My wife is threatening to smash them. Here is my first model - a Pietenpol, and my second one, a Simple Cub, that I modified into a J2 cub & painted it up like the one I used to fly 40 years ago.

Attachments

• J2 Cub.jpeg
    J2 Cub.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 1
  • pietenpol.jpeg
    pietenpol.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Reckless

I’m hooked too. I think our wives must know each other. Lol!
I have built the Mini Corsair, Mini Mustang, Storch, F-22, and a custom scaled up F-22 loosely based on the mini. Also since my Transmitter is antique, I just bought a Taranis and a couple receivers. Lol
Your planes are really nice.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Looks great, keep it up. I also like finishing my planes and taking time to paint them, even if they are going to crash soon :)

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Welcome to the addiction, I mean hobby, Earl.

Nice looking fleet so far. Your first two look way better than my first two did.

RMDC

Those are some amazing paint jobs. If I couldn't see the edges, I would swear they couldn't possibly be foamboard.

Earl Turner

Thanks for the compliment. Painted with tremclad, using a foam brush - glossy, sticks like glue & the brush marks disappear.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
did you happen to measure the Weight Add? Beautiful job! is the strip a decal?

Earl if you build them in Feb. Submit them to the Build-Ruary challenge and try to build a few more this month.

Earl Turner

Didn't weigh it, although I think it is probably heavy - used Elmer's foam board which is stiffer & heavier than the dollar store stuff & 2 coats of Tremclad. The stripe is masked off & painted also with Tremclad, as is the registration.

Earl Turner

Two more on the go

Here is another simple cub, this time modeled after a PA 18 Super Cub that I spent 3 years instructing in, on floats & skis, back in the 80's - Registration CF-FFF
FFF.jpeg
My next one is an E2 cub
e2.jpeg

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Wow these are awesome!

Hi, my name is Ryan and I am addicted to foam board planes.

Welcome to AA, also known as Airplanes Anonymous

Daniel86

Builder newbie

Hi all.
I started building planes about 2 months ago....
All disaster...
Built friday evening, crashed saturday afternoon....
Now i found the Mini Arrow.
I stocked up 2206 2300kv motors, 25A Encs and 6x4.5 bullnose props.
I made my own 3s1p 18650 batteries. 150g with leads and connectors.
After crashing the last one i decided to build a bulletproof center pod. I made it of 5mm foamed PVC board.
It turned out 125g, which is not bad imo.
But after putting all the pieces on the scale it's little over 400 grams without the wing itself.
I don't think the Stock mini arrow wing has enough lift for this weight. Should i scale up the plans? Or just lenghten the wing on the rootcord end.

Any advice will help.

Earl Turner

Hi all.

But after putting all the pieces on the scale it's little over 400 grams without the wing itself.
I don't think the Stock mini arrow wing has enough lift for this weight. Should i scale up the plans? Or just lenghten the wing on the rootcord end.

Any advice will help.

I'm not an expert, but with my models, I used the heavier Elmer's foam board and with all that paint, I figured a little extra wingspan couldn't hurt, so I added 4 inches to the standard simple cub. We will see how they fly.