New Member from Cincinnati - First plane questions

timhypo

Packet Wrangler
So, I'm new to R/C Planes, but spent my pre-driver's license days racing off-road buggies - everything from the lowly Grasshopper to a JRX2 to a Kyosho Burns. The latter is a 4wd nitro powered buggy that went like 50MPH. So, I at least have the inherent left and right are relative to the direction the vehicle is pointed thing down. Anyway, I always wanted to get into R/C Flying, but in 1990, it was EXPENSIVE. I looked at it last-year but got distracted until I found flite-test. You guys rule. I've always been into open-source and DIY type stuff and believe most Americans BUY way too much crap. I've also been in DIY punk/garage/surf bands for almost 20 years now and toured extensively under our own budget and FT reminds me of both the open source and DIY music movement. You guys have taken something in which there's always been a daunting learning curve at the beginning and made it much more simple and accessible. You also made it affordable and your videos make me believe I can build something that flies and fix it when I break it - I broke enough O/R cars to know this - I think I made Kyosho's quarterly numbers the year I started taking my Burns to the BMX track just in replacement front A-Arms alone.

Anyhow, my dad and I have both been interested in R/C for awhile and I think we're ready to make our first stab at a flyable airplane. I also spent a lot of time building hot rods and did a LOT of bodywork on cars they don't make panels for any more ('58 Olds), so this posterboard seems like it should be similar, just easier to cut and join. I think we're either going to scratch-build or order a speed-build kit and copy all the part onto Dollar Tree (we have those in Cincy, too) foam-board - I went and bought ten sheets today - for WHEN we break it. At a buck a sheet, how could I go wrong? So, we're looking at first planes. I like the spitfire, but from the videos, I'm hearing low-wing is bad for a starter as are warbirds. Am I correct in the dihedral and undercambered wings on this making it not quite a warbird in the 'warbirds are bad first planes' sense because it's not an exact copy of the wing geometry? Also, it's called a beginner plane in the description. I wanted a transmitter that would grow with me and had a few Amazon award points that I get from work instead of being paid OT - not 1:1 - more like work 100 hours/week for three weeks to avoid a penalty in our contract with this client and save the company a $2m penalty on their hosting costs and get $100 in Amazon points - and bought a nice new Spektrum DX5e w/receiver. This seemed nice and the right amount of channels for what I'm interested in, which is mostly flying around with my dad, but not banking and yanking forever. If not the spitfire, what then? The Old Fogey? I do like that it has landing gear, as I intend to practice taxiing and short take-offs/landings for a bit ala the Beginner Series video before going for my first try at taking off. Ultimately, I'd like something like the Mustang. I like WWII-era planes and WWI-era biplanes more than the new stuff. Although, the A-10 warthog's still pretty awesome and still in service. Anyhow, where do I go from here? Is the spitfire going to ruin my intro to this hobby or if I'm willing to put it back together a few times, will I be able to learn to fly with it? I'd like to build my own, as I'll know how to fix it. The idea of making my own wing that actually provides enough lift to get the plane off the ground is cool to me. So, what do you guys think?

BankNYank!

Mentor
but not banking and yanking forever.

What! Not Banking and Yanking Forever?!!!!!!!!? Okay. Maybe not forever! ;)
Welcome to the forum. The people here are awesome! You'll find lots of great people here with great information.

As far as getting started, IMHO you are going waaaay too fast. Start out with something simple and easy to repair. Something you can crash and repair and be back in the air in 5 minutes. My suggestion would be to start out with the but not banking and yanking forever.[/QUOTE] What! Not Banking and Yanking Forever?!!!!!!!!? Okay. Maybe not forever! ;) Welcome to the forum. The people here are awesome! You'll find lots of great people here with great information. As far as getting started, IMHO you are going waaaay too fast. Start out with something simple and easy to repair. Something you can crash and repair and be back in the air in 5 minutes. My suggestion would be to start out with the FT Flyer. It's a really cool plane to fly and it'll do some cool stuff like high alpha and it's a quick easy build which means quick easy repairs. And it's a swappable so you can put the power pod into one of the other swappable planes like the Spit once you get the Flyer all figured out. I hope this helps."]FT Flyer. It's a really cool plane to fly and it'll do some cool stuff like high alpha and it's a quick easy build which means quick easy repairs. And it's a swappable so you can put the power pod into one of the other swappable planes like the Spit once you get the Flyer all figured out.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
The Fogey is very slow and easy to fly and can make a good beginner plane as the flyer can also. You can put ailerons on the flyer and go 4 ch. with it after learning 3 ch. depending on motor setup on the flyer it can be somewhat slow or it can be fast.
I would start with these then move up.

+1 for the Fogey
i too am in the early stages. i started with the old fogey speed build kit. i LOVE it. i am having so much fun. I have wrecked it a dozen times or more into trees. a little packing tape, some bbq skewers and i am back in the air.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Welcome! We're glad to have another member.

The spitfire can work quite well as a primary trainer, but I'd recommend the FT-flyer first, then a docile (small motor etc) spitfire. I've flown the FT-delta and the only thing easy about that is the build.:rolleyes: The spit is far easier to fly and still has some good stability for a newb.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Here is my recommendation...

FT Flyer, then Bloody Wonder, then Spitfire.

The FT Flyer will let you learn the ropes on how the basic control surfaces work, and is a very gentle trainer, the Bloody Wonder is a great aileron trainer, and is as fast/slow/gentle/agile as you want it to be, and the spitfire is just plain awesome.

Tactical Ex

The spitfire is likely to cause you a lot of trouble if you never flew before. I started out with a custom plane with Versa wings and "it worked" but I didn't know what I was doing and I got very little flight time because my inexperience only allowed me to fly in the most perfect of conditions.

I then built the FT Flyer and man ... I wish I had done that in the first place. I learned so much with the Ft Flyer and it wasn't like "Oh, this is so easy and boring it is surely a beginner plane" No! Not at all! It was loads of fun especially landing and hovering in high alpha.

Stradwhovious has got the right order or planes for you to fly. FT Flyer, then Bloody Wonder, then Spitfire. Don't skip ahead either, it is tempting to go from FT Flyer to the Spit but trust me, your gonna stall out and break something the first flight if you do. The BW will not only give you aileron training but it will prepare you for the less forgiving side of the wing shape of the spitfire (only the BW is stronger and can take a beating a bit better).

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
Late to the thread but I am local to you. If you would like to try a plane on a buddy box shoot me a PM!

Nortmic

I live north now but grew up in Clermont County. I am looking forward to getting down to my families farm with my planes next spring. Maybe we can connect as I am a newbie too.