New to foam core building

MWright53

Hi, I have built a few ARF's but never foam core. I recently jumped in an built an FT Sea Duck which was a mistake as a first build. I had a few issues using the hot glue gun. I have the Pro200 like Josh uses but mine for some reason continually dribbles. I loose more glue than I use. I also use Flitetest glue sticks. I let a fellow RC Club member maiden my Sea Duck and it ended up acting like the thrust angle was off so every time you throttle up it climbs pretty steeply even with the CG perfect. Anyway I also found using the hotglue doesn't give you a while lot of time to place and align your pieces before the glue sets up. Still a lot to learn here. Glad to be on the forum. I am sure I will learn something.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
NW,
Hello and welcome to the addiction/frustration/learning/fun/fellowship.

It's an understandable and fairly common thing that we jump in a bit over our heads. Are you looking to continue with the Duck or are you thinking of trying something a bit easier as a stepping stone?

As for the glue gun, I've never seen one that doesn't drip. If you can adjust the temp, hotter will drip more. Hotter can also melt foam. I like smaller tips to minimize dripping and I'll switch to a lower temp or off if I won't be glueing for a while.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

MWright53

Thanks for the Welcome Jim. I am going to attempt to change the thrust angle by shimming the motor mount and see if that will work. I was looking at how the Big Guinea Pigs thrust angle is set up and since it uses a power pod and the Duck doesn't, the thrust angle on the pig is set by a piece of foam core that angles the power pod. The Duck doesn't have that. It also looks like the firewall of the Duck is pretty much 90 degrees of the pod its installed in. Maybe someone who has built the duck can comment. I may just have a poorly built Duck and that is why its flying funny. :)

Mike

Tench745

Master member
You could potentially angle the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer up to force the nose down as you add power/speed.