New to forums, fpv, and drones

iPanda

iPanda here,
I got a Skyviper 950HD and flew it a little. I liked it, but a motor quit working so it kinda got put on the shelf. I saw a DRL race in ESPN one night and was completely hooked. I then started looking on YouTube and watching videos.

I have ordered my new motors and they arrive tomorrow. I have been pricing fpv gear and quad parts. Also been watching reviews and flight videos and tips on your videos and others.

Have any of you guys flown the SkyViper? Would drones like it be a good cheap stepping stone for a beginner?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums!

I haven't see the SkyViper before, but the usual advice for new multi-rotor pilots is to buy something cheap that can take a beating to train your thumbs and get used to flying before investing in a higher performance (or just higher cost) racing copter. Right now one of my favorite flyers, and my recommendation for new pilots, is the BLADE Inductrix

Depending on your price point, current equipment, and interests, you can either get it to bind-and-fly to a Spektrum radio, or get it with a radio. For the FPV side, you can also get it as a Ready To Fly with goggles and everything, or just the multi-rotor and use another goggle set.

It's a super fun little around the house flyer and a great racer for both learning to fly and competitively beating the snot out of your friends. In the Washington DC area there are two different racing groups using these on a regular basis - one meets on a huge indoor slot car track, and the other is getting started in a 5000 square foot glow-in-the-dark mini golf facility. Really looking forward to that one. :)

iPanda

Got my new motors today and got them installed. Charging the battery and flying it tomorrow.

Thank you for responding. I have been looking at the inductrix as well. I have had my eye on the turnigy evolution controller. From reviews and price it looks like a great purchase for a controller.

Can't wait to see the next flite test video.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Forums ipanda!!

Glad to have you a part of the FT Forum family! We look forward to seeing what you post as well as what you learn through it all!

Blessings and happy flying!
Stefan

iPanda

So yesterday, after a little over a week of flying, my quad suddenly starts drifting backwards and to the right. I am completely baffled because I keep trimming in the opposite direction, but it still drifts after a few seconds every time I take off.

I just had it out again and then go inside. While talking to my wife about my issue, I start to just spin the rotor with my finger. I notice the motor isn't spinning as I turn the rotor. Looked a little closer and I see there are teeth missing from the gear on 2 of the motors. These are brand new motors.

Yes I have been crashing... a lot, but this seems more like just cheap parts. I have been entertaining the thought of flipping the motor over and attaching the rotor right to the motor. I would need to switch motors around to make sure the rotation is right.

Ideally I would rather get a better quad. I would jump at a bigger quad like a 250, but the tiny woop size may be a better idea so I can do it inside. (Been rather windy lately)

Xspense

Welcome to FT!

Yeah, it stinks but that's the hobby. Build, fly, crash, repeat. However, it's a very addicting and rewarding hobby to get in to. It seems like its just cheap parts. If you have to money to purchase a new quad, but still want that indoor capability, the Furious FPV MOSKITO is fantastic. Its whoop sized, has some strong power with 10,000 kV brushless motors, and is FPV capable. The downside is the frame can me a tad weak (3D printable if you have one available), and you'll need a transmitter and receiver (which you'd want anyway if you wanna get into FPV or fly more in the future).

https://store.flitetest.com/furiousfpv-moskito-70-the-perfect-whoop/

Have a great day
Sam

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Never trim a quad.

If you have to trim you likely have a hardware problem.

My first copter was a Zyma X1. I destroyed it. I got a second one and as I destroyed it I tried to repair it. About that time a friend introduced me to FliteTest and I learned that I could build my own.

Unless your dream is to park a stable copter with a gimbal in the air to shoot video, you are going to get to this point. You have outgrown the toy. :)

If you want the stable video quad, look at the Phantom and the Inspire. If you want one to follow you on your mountain bike look at the Mavic. Don't crash these. They are expensive or impossible to repair.

If you want to race or if you expect to crash you will probably find it less expensive in the long run to build your own. :)

ginoguerra

Hi all! Im trying to get into the fpv drone hobby but Im just getting started so I dont know much. I want to buy a Blade Inducteix FPV BNF. I want to know if the flysky 1a6 control is compatible, and if not, if you may recomend one at a similar price range (50 USD). Thank you all