New To The Hobby? Need Help Learning To Fly? Looking For Someone Local?

Murocflyer

We all love model aviation no matter what the form. Some like airplanes, some helicopters, some sailplanes or gliders, others like multicopters, cars and/or boats. No matter what form of model aviation you participate in or like to do, at one point in time there was someone to teach you the ropes and show you how to build, fly, or how to know what power system to use on your new model. We were not born with knowing how to fly model aircraft or knowing how to build a foam or balsa plane. That skill or talent was most likely taught to you by someone close to you, or someone you met at your local club. But for some, finding that person to teach them the necessary skills is not always easy to do.

I have found a solution which will make it easier for modelers to get help in their local area, and an easy method that allows providing and offering help to others in this hobby. I have coined the term for those willing to help others “Model Aviation (MA) Mentors.” The idea is quite simple and it uses an online map program that is available to everyone.

The online Google Maps titled “Model Aviation Mentors; Model Airplane Builder Volunteers & Flight Instructors” allows MA Mentors to identify themselves with a location and contact information such as an email address, phone number, or RC forum link so modelers or newcomers in their local area can contact them if they are looking for help. Anyone looking at the map will not know your exact location or address; but they will know your general location to see if you are near enough to provide assistance.

If you would like to volunteer to be a Model Aviation Mentor see link below.

If you are looking for someone in your area, click on our map link: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=217789731333754300750.0004d59fa6f42a3de34bc

If you do not see someone local to you, post in this thread and we'll try to find someone close.

Frank

Murocflyer

I know Flite Test forum users want to help out newcomers to this hobby. Let's make a goal to get a least 10 new MA Mentors from FT by the end of the week.

So if you want to help or know someone who would like to, please contact me. Thanks!

Frank

Murocflyer

I know it is tough to get out and meet strangers and we feel so safe behind our computers screen, but trust me, helping others in this hobby is a truly rewarding experience. And who knows, you might meet some folks that become lifelong friends.

Newcomers to this hobby need help and why let them do it on their own? Even if don't consider yourself an expert, any help you can provide would be better than no help at all.

Frank

Murocflyer

Still looking for volunteers!

If you know anyone interested in helping others please send them my way.

Shown below is page 1 of the map so we are making progress.

Thanks,

Frank

Attachments

• Map Page 1.jpg
    Map Page 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23