New Transmitter Help

Hi everyone!
I am looking to get my second transmitter, and have narrowed it down to two options. The GRAUPNER MZ-12 and the SPEKTRUM DX6i. I don't know very much about either, but I do know that I want something that I can program, so I'd like to go with the one that has more programming options.
I fly both fixed-wing and multirotors, if that is important (I know very little about transmitters, but will be learning much more soon!).
Thanks!

-(WittyFlightJokeHere)

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
The GRAUPNER MZ-12 has much more comprehensive programming than the DX6i which can barely be called a programmable Transmitter.

The DX6i at $130(with no receiver) is overpriced for what you get. The FlySky i6 at ~$50(with a receiver) does more. The only reason to buy a DX6i is Spektrum BNF compatibility which is a reasonable argument for getting one if that is important to you. It's an ok TX to start out with and does the basic stuff but it's pretty bare bones with a 10 model memory, no back light, not pots and only two mixes.

If you want to get a comparably featured Spektrum TX t the MZ-12 then the DX6 is the one to look at. The DX6 has more functions than the MZ-12 but it is quite a bit more expensive.

I don't have either so I can't really say which I like better between the MZ-12 and the DX6. There is the obvious Spektrum advantage that you can fly their popular BNF aircraft and the Graupner advantage that the MX-12 is a much better value ($50 less and comes with a receiver). I've looked that the manuals and helped a few people figure some things out and personally not really a fan of the programming model on either. Some people who have tried both say the Spektrum is easier but I suspect it is more what you are used to. More people have Spektrums in the US so it's easier to get help.

Personally I like OpenTX (on the Taranis - much better value than either of them) for its consistent simplicity - it just makes you work to do anything so you do have to put some time in to understand it. It's not for everyone apparently. Think it depends if you "just want to fly" or you like tinkering and knowing how things work.

Last edited:
I have the gen2 Dx6 I have never used the graupner so cannot comment on that. I picked mine up used around 120.00 in great condition. I have heard good things about graupner. My best advice is to go read a couple of Transmitter reviews on the both get familiar with both of them maybe even check out some video reviews or comparisons. If your leaning towards spektrum one thing to consider is the price of each RX is kind of high. If its a foamy or parkflyer you can reduce this cost by running lemon rx or other spektrum compatible rx from other brands. I am just not sure I would trust it in any of my expensive models. Wiith that being said I have not had a lemon fail on me yet.

If you have a local field you visit maybe see what the guys are using out there. I also would recommend visiting a LHS that has some radios in stock so see what feels good in your hands. As much as I love my dx6 I have small lands and honestly isn' the most comfortable radio ive used because its a little on the thicker side. Hope this gives you some things to consider. I agree with pressalltheknobs with I wouldn't get a dx6i as your primary radio

n0mats

any suggestion with this two Tx.. spectrum dx9 or futaba T14 SGA? pls consider the ff:

1. price
2. stability
3. durability
4. easy to use/programmed (newbie)
5. after sale value

Jugsy

The DX6i is an old radio now, go for at least the DX6! Much more features.

I'm a Spektrum guy, and love mine (DX8 G2) for how easy it is to use and program - I've barely touched the manual. Sure the Spektrum receivers are pricey but I've used LemonRX and OrangeRX receivers with no issues.

I'd recommend Spektrum to anyone, but that's just my two cents... but there's pros and cons to all the brands!

n0mats

The DX6i is an old radio now, go for at least the DX6! Much more features.

I'm a Spektrum guy, and love mine (DX8 G2) for how easy it is to use and program - I've barely touched the manual. Sure the Spektrum receivers are pricey but I've used LemonRX and OrangeRX receivers with no issues.

I'd recommend Spektrum to anyone, but that's just my two cents... but there's pros and cons to all the brands!

how about connection stability wise?