Newbie intimidated by all the FAA regulation with questions

hewhowalks

I'm an extreme newb, but I've been spending some time on the simulator, building my FT Tiny Trainer (it's going well) and researching this hobby to death. I've always wanted to make the leap. The one thing holding me back now is all I hear about FAA regulations.

Anyway, I live in Springfield, MO. It has a modest sized commercial airport that is more than 5 miles from where I want to fly (which is a big park with lots of space and not a lot of people). There's is, however, a small, privately owned public use airport about four miles away. This small airport doesn't have it's own air traffic control tower so I don't know the correct way to notify them as per FAA regulation. Has anyone successfully contacted an ATC and what was their response? Would I have to call them every time I wanted to fly my little trainer at the park?

There is an AMA airplane club nearby, but I'm not interested in paying AMA fees plus their $150 yearly fee to be a member to fly my little foam plane. Hopefully I'll fall in love with the hobby and go that direction, but I'm just not there yet. There is another large park near the AMA club that's outside any airport no-fly zones, but I feel that flying close to other RC activity would be much more disastrous than my original location. I'll be using a channel hopping 2.4 ghz radio, so maybe I'm wrong (I've been trying to digest all of this information...)

I'm rambling... Here's my question: Do I try to fly my little foam plane four miles from the tower-less airport without notification? I realize that I'd probably not get caught, but I'm in a law enforcement career and I just want to do the right thing.

Last edited:

Winglet

Dear Newbie,

Don't worry about it. It is great that you are trying to be responsible and I take my hat off to you for that. I wouldn't fly real close to Springfield/Branson Regional (at least not real high) Their isn't a FAA regulation that prohibits you from flying near an uncontrolled airport that I am aware of? The AMA (not to be confused with the FAA) guidelines say to notify the operator of an uncontrolled airport if you plan to fly within 5 miles. Two things about that. First....that is an AMA guideline and not a law or regulation. Second....if you want to do that then do it. You arn't asking for permission, you are just notifying them. They can't keep you from flying.

I'm sure I will draw a debate with my comments and that is why I've never been an AMA club guy. Yes, I hold an AMA membership but more to support the AMA and my beloved hobby more than anything.

Just be reasonable with what you do and you should be fine. A Tiny Trainer isn't exactly a 1/3 scale ducted fan turbine. It is more like flying a styrofoam coffee cup.

I grew up in Springfield and don't live too far away from you in Paola, Kansas. If you would like some help let me know. I have a great place to fly and would be more than happy to have some company. I'm building my second Tiny Trainer right now. It is quite the airplane and perfect to start with. I have written a few articles about them You can search them out in the Articles tab if you haven't read them already. They might help.

Good luck with your flying in SW Missouri! It is a great hobby. Welcome to the madness.

Winglet

Oh, I understand your situation with your career. I don't see you getting caught. Nobody will be looking for you and like I said, it isn't illegal in any way. However...if you feel the need to advise the airport in a letter that you will be flying your little foamy four miles away, I can get the contact information for you if you can give me the name of the airport. (I'm a bizjet captain and we have all that information available)

And...your are correct, with your 2.4 ghz radio there will be no issue with frequency blocking.

hewhowalks

This is great! Thanks for the clarifications. I was presuming it meant ask for permission when it said notify and I did get confused and think it was an FAA rule.

I don't think I'll be flying anything big enough to have to warn anyone. Tonight I finished my FT trainer (at least the chuck glider version for the kids) and it's definitely not going to ground any commercial flights.

Thanks Winglet. I'm making a note to private message you if I need any other help.

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
hey i see your in Springfield, I was just down in Springfield. Do you know of a good hobby shop down there? and i agree with winglet, if it were like KCI then you would watch your step but not a small municipal or privately owned airport.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This is great! Thanks for the clarifications. I was presuming it meant ask for permission when it said notify and I did get confused and think it was an FAA rule.

If you want to be truly legal about it, it's probably not even legal to throw a football across your yard. The "law" has become incomprehensible.

What you want to do is to safely and responsibly. If you're close to a municipal or private airfield, you could give the manager a call and let him know you're going to be flying in the vicinity, but I'd only do that if you're within a mile of the field and/or plan on going more than a couple hundred feet up. If you're off either end of the runway, care must be taken to look out for approaching aircraft, but otherwise you shouldn't be encountering full scale traffic below 500 feet (if you do, report them--it's highly illegal to come within 500' of a person or structure except for landing/takeoff).

If you're in an open field, keep an eye out for air traffic, something I do whenever I'm flying, since 2000' altitude is routine with R/C gliders. For smaller fields, try not to go too far above the tree line since you don't have as much visibility or as many options.

The FAA has really made everything a mess. When I was a teenager learning to fly full scale, there were no qualms about my flying small models at the airport in my spare time. Now it's just ridiculous, which is serving more to make the whole aviation community into outlaws rather than actually changing what anyone does.

hewhowalks

Balsa to Foam...

The only plane shops I know of is Hobby Town on Battlefield Road and Sleeth Hobbies on Sunshine Street. Sleeth appears to be a locally owned, AMA affiliated shop. I'm so new I can't vouch for either store yet.