nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Quadcells

Hello All,
Maybe I missed this answer so if has been answered I apologize for repeating it.
What would be the max weight for a basic build with Dual HobbyKing 64mm alloy 4000kv 5 blade EDF installed. I read that the speed build would be about 1400g, my basic build is getting up there with a 4100mah battery and retracts.
/quadcells

Jordan3367

Hi Quadcells,
I did a basic build and mine weighed 1000g.
I think nerdnic said his basic build weighed around 1100g.
It's usually better to go on the lighter side, at least for EDF planes.

Jordan3367

Trouble? Nah, trouble is when you find these things out the hard way....
Do you have any lighter batteries? I used a 2200 and it worked quite well.
Can you tell me what the weight is without the battery?

Jordan3367

Hmm.... I think I would just try it as is, using maybe a smaller battery. 2200 or 3000ish.
Worst case, it won't have enough power to fly and it won't take off so you have to remove the retracts.
Best case, it works well and the weight isn't an issue.
1100 without battery is actually not terrible, and it shouldn't be too much of an issue unless your motors are fairly underpowered.
Best of luck!

~Jordan

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
v2 plans are getting closer Jordan :) You'll be the first to know when I'm ready to share them!

For weight, 1100 without battery is a little heavy but not unworkable. EPP planes of similar wingspan are commonly around 1500g AUW (the freewing A-10 is 1680g) so you'll be okay. Just keep your speed up on landings and you might need to stay around half throttle while in the air.

rdhoke

Man this plan is freaking awesome. My dad was in the airforce and these were the last planes he got to work on. Where can I get the plans for this as they are not on your website any longer.

richb2599

nnA-10 speed 4s version

Nerdnic, was wondering if you ever completed a build of your a-10 speed version and posted a video anywhere. I have some 64mm edfs looking for a place to reside and the A-10 might be it. Also, are the plans on your web site the "v2" plans? BTW, your huge corsair looks great.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the email, Rich. Go with the V1 plans for now, the V2 won't be ready for a bit.

Keep us posted!

DHKent

Nic - my question is similar to richb2599 - I would like to build the speed version but do not see any posts on that. Is the speedwing build different from the basic wing in that there is no dihedral? Would you recommend I build the basis wing and use the speed electronics?

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
DHKent- There was no how to done on the nnA10 speed wing design. But nic has done a how to video on another design ( nnp39) showing you how the speed wing design is constructed. That will be youre best option for building the a10 speed wing. And yes the speed wing does have dihedral in the design as well right at the main landing gear pods.
https://youtu.be/DGYTvf8UEvA

DHKent

I had asked jayz 84 about the spar for the speed wing - his reply: "Hi there Doug. Im a aircraft mechanic so i just use aircraft grade alum for the spars. You can though fine them at youre local Home depo or Lows. Theres a section that have steel, alum, rods and flats you can buy. If that fails nic and have been using hard craft wood in some builds. You just have to make the spar slot wider if you use the wood cause the stuff we use it close to 1/4 inch thick. Its just as stong and you can pre cut the dihedral shape[/QUOTE]
I came to the same conclusion. I am now actually using my trusty Dremel to shave off 4 mm of the 1/16 alum strut that I got - kind of ragged but it'll work!