nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Jordan3367

Well, I'm not entirely sure. I was using a lower quality one that was very finicky. It had to be almost entirely water for the airbrush to not clog up. And then it wouldn't have enough paint to actually airbrush the plane. :(

My Dad found a new one, hopefully the next time we try it will work better.

Here's what it looked like before airbrushing:

WIP no paint (5).JPG

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I use a low-end airbrush as well. The trick is in thinning the paint. I ran into the same problem when I first started airbrushing. I'm definitely no expert, but I've gotten much better. What paint are you using? If you're using acrylic craft paint try thinning 50/50 with this stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693. It's incredible for getting the paint to flow through the airbrush smoothly.

Last edited:

Jordan3367

I use a low-end airbrush as well. The trick is in thinning the paint. I ran into the same problem when I first started airbrushing. I'm definitely no expert, but I've gotten much better. What paint are you using? If you're using acrylic craft paint try thinning 50/50 with this stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693. It's incredible for getting the paint to flow through the airbrush smoothly.

Thanks!
Next time I airbrush I will try that. I have been using generic acrylic/craft paint, watered down. Unfortunately, I haven't build many planes recently worth airbrushing. Usually it's just colored electrical tape. :)

Jaxx

Thanks!
Next time I airbrush I will try that. I have been using generic acrylic/craft paint, watered down. Unfortunately, I haven't build many planes recently worth airbrushing. Usually it's just colored electrical tape. :)

Actually, those are the best planes to practice on. When you make the purchase be sure it's that exact stuff. Depending on the paint you're using you may have to adjust the ratio a little.

This is the paint I use: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=apple barrel acrylic paint&typeahead=apple barre.
This airbrush works great for spraying an entire plane: http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

Last edited:

Jaxx

1) I suppose this is as good of time as any to announce I wasnt planning on designing a basic design. So no basic wing/stabs. Thoughts?

Nic,

I like the idea of having the basic wing as an option, but then I'm not the one that has to do all the work to make that happen. Do you think the basic wing from the V1 could be made to fit the V2, with some minor customization by the builder?

Blackbeltrrf

Back on the Warthog

Finally got my P61 Black Widow finished and now to finish the nnA10! I added a couple of videos of the battery placement that I had to modify due to the retracts taking up real estate in the nose as well as a video of the retracts in action. All the problems are solved now and will be painting in the next few days then it is Maiden time! As soon as I know what I did will fly then going to make another due to all the handling and changing things during this build has cause some paper damage here and there. Hope paint hides some of that.

Named this video wrong. It actually is the battery placement

Retracts all strength and reinforced now

Jordan3367

Finally got my P61 Black Widow finished and now to finish the nnA10! I added a couple of videos of the battery placement that I had to modify due to the retracts taking up real estate in the nose as well as a video of the retracts in action. All the problems are solved now and will be painting in the next few days then it is Maiden time! As soon as I know what I did will fly then going to make another due to all the handling and changing things during this build has cause some paper damage here and there. Hope paint hides some of that.

Nice!

How much weight do the retracts add? I've wanted to add retracts to several planes, but the weight of them usually keeps me from doing it. Looks really good though. :)

Blackbeltrrf

A10 Painted

I got the A10 Painted and the Canopy completed. Here are some pics of the progress. Now on to the artwork this weekend then ready to Maiden!

Canopy mounted1.jpg

Canopy mounted2.jpg

Canopy on fuselage1.jpg

Canopy on with battery1.jpg

Canopy on with battery2.jpg

Painted1.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

Exhaust1.jpg

Plane front on floor.jpg

Attachments

• Plane front1.jpg
    Plane front1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2

Blackbeltrrf

Nice!

How much weight do the retracts add? I've wanted to add retracts to several planes, but the weight of them usually keeps me from doing it. Looks really good though. :)

Jordon,

I didn't weigh the gear before I put them on so I cannot answer that question. I am nearing the Maiden of this bird so time will tell here pretty soon if I made it too heavy.

Jordan3367

Jordon,

I didn't weigh the gear before I put them on so I cannot answer that question. I am nearing the Maiden of this bird so time will tell here pretty soon if I made it too heavy.

No problem. I should just go weigh mine, but I'm lazy...
What's your AUW? I believe mine was around 1100 grams.
Also, don't fly it far away, I did that and lost orientation with a similar paint job. :(
Good luck with your maiden!!!

Blackbeltrrf

nnA10 is All Done!

Got my nnA10 all completed! Here are some final pics before she goes up for a Maiden. I will post Maiden video, Good or bad when I take her up. This looks like a great plane Nic. I hope I built it right.

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297[1].JPG

IMG_0298[1].JPG

IMG_0299[1].JPG

IMG_0300[1].JPG

IMG_0301[1].JPG

IMG_0303[1].JPG

IMG_0304[1].JPG

IMG_0305[1].JPG

Thank you Nic for this design. I am definitely going to build another when I see if this one flies.

Blackbeltrrf

Not so good Maiden

I took the nnA10 out to maiden but it was short lived. I didn't get off the ground. I ran off the runway like an idiot and messed the front end up. Minor damage but too bad to fly until repairs.

Here is the short video of the attempt.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice work getting it all finished and painted! When I read your post 'failed maiden' I was scared of the carnage... haha, but that wasn't so bad.

Keep us posted!

Jordan3367

I took the nnA10 out to maiden but it was short lived. I didn't get off the ground. I ran off the runway like an idiot and messed the front end up. Minor damage but too bad to fly until repairs.

At least you didn't REALLY break it. You should've seen my maiden damage. It didn't have a nose, several cables were fried and some smoke was coming out. :p
Good luck on your next flight!

Blackbeltrrf

At least you didn't REALLY break it. You should've seen my maiden damage. It didn't have a nose, several cables were fried and some smoke was coming out. :p
Good luck on your next flight!

Thanks for the encouragement Jordan, it puts it in perspective of there is a bright side. It was dumb not to make some dry runs down the runway and see that it was tracking to the left before I just tried to come out of the chute right off the bat. Oh well there is always another day.

Quadcells

Hi nerdnic,
I have downloaded your plans, been reading all these post and going to see if I can build this puppy. It looks awesome and looks like you put a lot of time in her. Can't wait to start building it. I have the first week of December and the end of December off from work. Hope to use some of that time building her. Maybe have it ready for spring.
/quadcells