nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

jimbo

Apologies in advance if this is already in here; I tried searching the thread.

I am unclear on Step1 where it says cut half-way through the aluminum. Which way am I cutting? I can't quite tell what's going on in that photo. It also looks like some sort of bend was going on here, but wasn't explicitly stated and the photo is playing visual mind tricks on me.

Also, what are people using to cut and bend the aluminium? This is the first time I've dealt with metals in my builds.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi Jimbo.

Take a look at this section of my Sonic Series nnP-39 build video, I talk a little about how the alum spar works.

https://youtu.be/4f69ym_5KZI?t=7m19s

Basically you're gonna use a hacksaw to cut half way through the spar. The blade will leave a gap and allows you to bend the alum to fill this gap. What you're left with is about 5 degrees of di/polyhedral.

jimbo

Thanks, that video clip answered my questions.

BTW, I've only gotten to the point of pre-cutting the boards and adding in the colored reference lines, but I already have to admire the amount of thought and creativity you've put into this work of art.

Jordan3367

Are the v2 plans available for testing?
I made your v1 and crashed on maiden. :(
It flew really well for several minutes though. :)

Anyway, it's a great plane. Thanks for your awesome contributions to the hobby!

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I haven't built the v2 yet but the plans are done. Need to test the new battery hatch, nacelles, wing and landing bays. Only the fuse remains much the same as v1.

Does the fuse still have a removable nose?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nose is fixed, it's being replaced by a hatch.

Jordan, plans for testing can be made available for sure. Are you up for the challenge? I'm glad to hear your build flew well, what happened was it pilot error or failure? Can you share any photos?

Last edited:

jimbo

I just read through 94 pages. I'm hoping to get this done before my camping trip (to fly in the field) this weekend.

1) Is it reasonable to pair the Speed H-stab/v-stab with the Standard Wing? Pros, Cons?

2) Thoughts on swapping out the wood spar in the stabs with a single piece of aluminum (wrapped in foam like the wing) to support both the v-stab and h-stabs? Would this be lighter? Would that throw off the CG adversely?
2a) What I'd really like to do is drop some weight and make room for some 5g/9g servos in each of the v-stabs.

3) How are people hooking up their elevator fins to the servo since it's split into two separate control planes?

I'll probably have more questions.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I just read through 94 pages. I'm hoping to get this done before my camping trip (to fly in the field) this weekend.

1) Is it reasonable to pair the Speed H-stab/v-stab with the Standard Wing? Pros, Cons?

2) Thoughts on swapping out the wood spar in the stabs with a single piece of aluminum (wrapped in foam like the wing) to support both the v-stab and h-stabs? Would this be lighter? Would that throw off the CG adversely?
2a) What I'd really like to do is drop some weight and make room for some 5g/9g servos in each of the v-stabs.

3) How are people hooking up their elevator fins to the servo since it's split into two separate control planes?

I'll probably have more questions.

1) I suppose this is as good of time as any to announce I wasnt planning on designing a basic design. So no basic wing/stabs. Thoughts?

2) stabs are getting a tweak to remove most of the dowel used. It's still present but only stubs for the joints. You could replace with alum but it would be different than the wing since you only have 9mm thickness to work with. The alum I've found comes in .5" or 12mm height. You could definitely get some 5g servos in there. CG would be impacted but I think you've got enough room to play with in the nose.

3) Chexk out my nnChipmunk v2 build video, I use the same split elevator technique.

Fire away with any questions you have!

Jordan3367

Jordan, plans for testing can be made available for sure. Are you up for the challenge? I'm glad to hear your build flew well, what happened was it pilot error or failure? Can you share any photos?

Am I up to the challenge?
Yes. It's the A-10.
Signature.JPG

The plane flew really well, I simply lost orientation when it was far away from me. (All silver plane)
Luckily some random person quickly pulled my battery, saving it and the motors/escs. I fried a power cable but that was it. Sadly, I also broke my wingtip servos so the A-10 was grounded for the remainder of FF2016. :(

Here are some pictures:
Flying 1.JPG
Flying 2.JPG
Flying 3.jpg
Flying 4.JPG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey! I met you at FF and signed your plane haha!

I actually saw you crash and I started running from the other side of the field. After you collected the wreckage I lost you in the crowd though. Good times :)

Jordan3367

Jordan,

That looks great! What fans are you using?

Thanks! I tried to airbrush it, but ended up hand painting when the airbrush failed.

Specifications:
- 4500 KV BrushlessDuct Fan motor for 64 mm Duct Fan
- For most RC Jet EDF Model
- Weight: 50 gram (Motor)
- 64mm Duct Fan unit for most ducted fan Jet RC EDF
- Weight : 25g Fan
- the max thrust :750g
- max current : 28A

Found a pair on ebay. :)

nerdnic

Hey! I met you at FF and signed your plane haha!

I actually saw you crash and I started running from the other side of the field. After you collected the wreckage I lost you in the crowd though. Good times :)

I was wondering if you remembered signing my plane. :)
I was actually in the same build tent as you, at the far end closest to the field. Good times indeed.
Definitely going to be at FF2017. Hopefully with a SBD Dauntless I'm designing via your tutorials. :)
Anyway, your plane got a ton of positive comments, even from a pilot who actually flew A-10s. He said that the cockpit was weak if you shot at it from above. :p