nnDLG

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Would you mind putting up a side profile shot of the wing so we can see the shape of the airfoil when you are done with one side?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Cross section of airfoil
9EeZGF8.jpg

90g weight so far
x2gKUFz.jpg

vwLRX2O.jpg

I have some initial concerns about wing strength so far but I think the wing style I chose is to blame. The wing is sturdy as you move from the center toward the wing tip until you get to the slope in the leading edge where the top and bottom wing seperate in the plans. I will be changing the leading edge to be straight. Also, after removing nearly all the inside paper and beveling all surfaces the foam is left with no strength. What little stiffness DTFB has is lost once you remove paper and cut away massive amounts of the foam.

Something that I've never had to deal with on a plane before also came up - wing balance. Somehow I came out way off on the weight between the two wings.

From a weight perspective I have no idea if 90g is good or not but it feels like nothing in your hands. I have decided I will be adding ail. The nose I designed was too small to fit servos so I need to enlarge it a smidge.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The arrow joint at the wing is rock solid. I can hold the tail section and whip the plane around in any direction and it doesn't give at all.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I don't sleep much, heh. If you notice the time gap between my two posts is just over 5 hours. That was about 2am before I went to sleep and then right before 7am when my son woke up screaming :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yes it's a three dollar carbon fiber arrow, there is a link in the first post for the exact one I used.

Christopher14

I scalped a graphite fishing rod for my boom.:D Not sure how much it weighs though, but its light.

EDIT: Just weighed the boom, 37g.

Last edited:

Christopher14

Lol, I guess I have some interesting flying ahead of me.:D I have used this kind of thing on my other FB DLGs with no trouble. I think I can make up the weight in small electronics.