nnDLG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That might work also. The problem though, is the flexing that CF and strapping allows. Movement is what causes DTFB to wear out, as chris pointed out with his DLG.

I think all these options will work overall, so I won't rule out the CF. I'm just going to try the options that I have immediate access to right now, like the alum and strapping :)

Maybe I need to order some CF for testing in general..

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
One thing I forgot to mention is that I am NOT AT ALL easy on my DTFB DLGs: I go full power every throw. They hold up well for a little while, launch straight and thermal acceptably, but for true performance you are better off getting a full fiberglass and CF DLG.
DTFB DLGs will hold up just fine if they are built well and you don't push them to hard.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
No no no no. If you can't push the nnDLG hard, then it's not built right :)

There has to be a way to stiffen this stuff up a bit without resorting to glassing the wings... what about CF arrow shafts in the forward third of the chordfrom the tip to the fuse in addition to the strapping?

Also, please feel free to tell me to shut my trap if I'm overstepping my bounds. I don't have, well, ANY of the design experience you folks have... I'm just thinking out loud.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Shutting your trap will not be necessary. Thinking out loud is the way good ideas are conceived.:D

x3aflv.jpg

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
(I didn't read the full thread but tried to scratch build DLGs before.)

I thought the point of a DTFB DLG was a way to practice discus launching and to see if it's worth the money for someone to get into.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Some people also believe that DTFB airplanes are for beginners and you can't get any real performance out of them :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
No video. But I can say the testing was successful. I did 100% strength throws to see where it stressed. I ended up breaking it, which was part of the plan. Now I know where to reinforce for beta 2 :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
So here are some changes based on my testing today:

-increasing the wingspan. The weight will be increasing so this is needed.
-increasing the wing cord. This should help lower wing loading.
-switching to a nnSpeed wing. The strapping worked well enough but by it's self it is not strong enough to prevent the wing from folding.
-increasing surface area of tail feathers. The authority at slow speed was not good enough.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
So here are some changes based on my testing today:

-increasing the wingspan. The weight will be increasing so this is needed.
-increasing the wing cord. This should help lower wing loading.
-switching to a nnSpeed wing. The strapping worked well enough but by it's self it is not strong enough to prevent the wing from folding.
-increasing surface area of tail feathers. The authority at slow speed was not good enough.

Sounds about right. :) It's not easy Nic, but that's the fun of the challenge of making it happen.

Ground loop

Free Flight Indoorist
So how is the dlg project coming? I want to build an Alula style dlg for thermal hunting but its still in the planning phase. Im really liking the idea of a dtfb dlg glider.