No more taping plans together for me!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So a few months ago a friend sent me a photo on my phone of what looked like some old printers asking if I was interested in them. One looked like a large format plotter - so I figured what the heck and told him yeah I'd take that one. But turned out they were his bosses and his boss wanted them all gone. Ok, fine I'll take all of them as long as they're free (Figure I can strip the others down for parts if nothing else.)

But it then became a game of tag trying to setup a time to go get them. Whenever I was available he wasn't and when he was I wasn't. Also turned out his boss was having second thoughts about just giving them away. But eventually his boss decided he really wanted the space in their shop back and said "have your friend come get these things out of here or put them in the dumpster!". So last week I got a call to come pick them up over lunch one day.

Turned out the plotter is an HP Designjet 600 that if I'm interpreting it's build code correctly dates from 1991. I was hoping for an old pen plotter because I always liked watching them work and I'd seen a few with an open paper path so there was a chance of doing something like printing right on foam board. But the 600 is a pretty nice machine, built like a tank and capable of doing E/A1 size prints (24"x34") using 24" roll paper. It prints a full sheet in about the same or less time than my laser takes to print out all the letter size sheets for a set of plans, but no more taping and it's extremely accurate.

The other two turned out to be a more recent vintage HP color LaserJet 9500hdn (about 2007 era) which is a beast of a machine - 300lbs, 4 paper trays (over 3,000 sheet capacity!) full duplex printing - the works. The third machine turned out to be a collator to go with the color laser. I really don't have any interest in either of them...but took them so I could get the free plotter. I did fire up the laser and it works - but it's internal hard drive is missing which may be an issue for the kinds of giant print jobs it was designed for but doesn't bother me any. The bigger issue is the cost of consumables on that thing - about $200 per cartridge for each of the 4 toner cartridges it uses and same for the image drums. Though thankfully it turns out the lowest toner/drum combo has almost 20% life left which is still 6,000 pages. But it's the size of a small refrigerator and is an energy hog so I really have no use for it and will try to find it a new home because it's just too nice to strip for parts.

Back to my new plotter though. It was in rough shape. Covered in dust and looked like it had been splashed with something. But it had what looked like about a half roll of paper in it and the guy getting rid of it basically said it stopped being used because HP stopped making drivers for it after Windows XP. It predates USB but quite some time so it only has serial and parallel connections...oh but it does have a network card so that was promising. For free I was willing to risk it.

1525791_10151770794986805_174343108_o.jpg

I did some initial cleanup on it and tried to power it up...it made it most of the way through the initialization but then flashed an error about the window needing to be closed and gave a system error 010001. A bit of work on google turned up a service manual and I found that sure enough error 010001 means something is wrong with the window sensor. Tried to figure out how to get to the sensor...but no luck. Thankfully the service manual had good instructions on disassembly/assembly as well!

When I got the end cover off the problem was apparent. Something had been living in here. Or at least storing food in here. It was packed with old dog food! No bedding or feces which I normally see when a mouse has moved in...but one or two spots that looked like urine stains. Fun. Got all that cleaned up and noticed that the ribbon cable connecting the front panel to the main control board was damaged. 4 wires on it were broken. But with the work on my ultra cheap quad with a homebrewed flight controller I've gotten quite good at soldering ribbon cable so I cut out the damaged sections, soldered in some new wire...and sure enough the window sensor worked again!

1460809_10151774205111805_1050642225_o.jpg

With that fixed I tried to load paper. After almost an hour of trying and failing repeatedly I finally read the manual. Yep...it should be sucking the paper in and isn't. Few more diagnostics and it's confirmed...the media sensor isn't responding. It's wires run in the same general area so I was pretty sure I knew what the problem would be. Took the covers back off and sure enough it looks like whatever was living in there went in and out through the same hole these wires ran though and eventually broke them against a metal edge. Took a bit longer to find the actual media sensor since it was about 8" away and the wires to it were totally missing. Eventually I found it and it looked ok...but only one leg still had any wire with insulation on it so I had no idea which wire went to which leg:

1490279_10151774205491805_2127227931_o.jpg
(Look close above the repaired wires and you can see the broken media sensor wires)

1514164_10151774401451805_1375974487_o (1).jpg

Did some more googling but couldn't find any photos of the sensor that would let me figure out which leg went to which wire. Did find that the sensor is just an omrom part available for <$8 new...but if you buy it from HP it goes for $50-$100! Then I found this site: http://www.myolddesignjet.com/ and contacted the owner to see if she could help me figure out which wire went to which pin. She replied back very quickly and was extremely helpful. Sent me two sets of photos of a stock sensor showing the wires.

Wired up a new harness...and after a few tries I was able to get paper loaded!

And there I was stuck for a few days because both ink cartridges in it were long dry, and while they're still available they aren't common enough to be available in any of my local stores. Being stupid cheap I ordered 2 "new" old stock expired carts off of ebay for $6 each...and then an hour or two later ordered 2 slightly more expensive remanufacured cartridges off of amazon for $12 each - because despite being cheap I'm also impatient and they qualified for free 2nd day shipping with my prime membership.

The amazon carts were scheduled for delivery tomorrow - but UPS bumped them up a day and they showed up today! Which was nice because the ebay carts didn't even ship until today :D

So of course as soon as I got home I had to put those bad boys in and see if I had gotten this thing working! First it was looking sketchy...the plotter wouldn't complete a pen alignment :( It was making marks on the paper...but they were faint and apparently too inconsistent for the printers sensors to register. Tried a few more times but each alignment uses about 6" of paper and I got tired of wasting paper on that - so I decided to try printing a demo plot despite the pens not being aligned. It "worked". The overall design of the demo plot was recognizable...but it wasn't very good at all. The lines were jagged, the ink was faint, none of the text was legible and there were large gaps. I started to suspect that my remanufactured cartridges were old and the ink was no good.

But the print did look better at the end than it did at the start...so I tried printing a configuration plot. It came out better! So I did another demo plot, better still! After a few more demo plots I tried another pen alignment...but still no go. Ran a few internal alignment and test routines and it got better...the left pen was now reporting as OK but the right was still saying no good. But it aligned enough that the jaggy lines were now smooth and the only real problem was what looked like a clogged nozzle causing a gap in the print pattern. And for printing FT plans that's totally acceptable for me!

1486405_10151780597916805_894408943_o.jpg

So next I had to try and find a way to get my computer to talk to it! I grabbed an ethernet cable and plugged it into a nearby router...I had experimented with this while waiting on ink and hadn't gotten very far. The card in it supports BOOTP for autoconfiguration - but apparently not DHCP. And my router supports DHCP but not BOOTP. So I tried it the hard way instead and manually configured the network settings. Very tedious on this printer - you have to enter each part of the IP address separately due to the small display! So setting it as 192.168.0.200 took 4 separate screens, then four more for the network mask and four more for the gateway. Ugh. Still, once that was done I could ping it successfully so it seemed the network card worked! This is a very good thing since if the network option didn't work I may have had a bit of a problem. This thing is big. We have no room for it in the house! But since the network option works I can put it in my detached office off a wireless bridge and still print to it...the wife appreciates that part very much :D

Now the fun of getting windows to talk to it. Apparently even Windows 7 still has stock drivers for these old printers. They aren't listed alphabetically though so they're easy to overlook, and they don't show up by default so you have to hit the "windows update" button and wait about 10 minutes for windows to get a full list of drivers. And once I did have the DesignJet drivers showing there were drivers for just about every HP designJet made except the 600 :( Being equal parts brave and foolhardy I tried some drivers for a slightly older model and sent a copy of the FT Racer plans to it.

1505726_10151780716816805_998965070_o.jpg

They printed! But they printed sized for 8x10 paper in one corner of the 24"x33" sheet. And the text and images looked horrible...the lines for the plans looked good though. Alas, at that point I hit my daughters bedtime which means I can't use my newest nicest computer (which I had been testing from) since it's too close to her room. I had to switch to my workhorse which is still running Vista.

Did the same thing on the vista machine to get drivers...only this time I just got garbage when I tried to print :( Did some more research and found that apparently 64bit XP drivers (which did still support this model) will work in 64bit vista (which my workhorse is running) and Win7 - they'll just complain about being unsigned when you install them. So I grabbed the xp drivers, pointed vista at them...and had a printer showing up now recognized correctly! Set the paper size...hit print...and got the first page of FT-3D plans (first ones I saw in my folder) spit out a minute or two later! For some reason I have yet to determine some of the text didn't show up...but the plans themselves came out GREAT!

1499142_10151780996381805_159873064_o.jpg

The only real "problem" is that FT plans are actually larger than 24"x33" even though they're designed to be used with 20"x30" foamboard :( So my options are to still have one seam to tape and use 2 sheets for each page...or open the plans in photoshop and re-arrange the pieces on them so they fit on a single A1 sized sheet. Still beats the heck out of taping a dozen or so pieces of letter paper together!

1460668_10151780996641805_532310985_o.jpg

Unfortunately doing all the test prints and pen alignments really sucked up the paper. The partial roll that came with it is now almost gone. Staples has 150' rolls of actual HP paper for <$15 so I ordered one to be shipped to my local store but it won't be here until Thursday at the soonest. So I have to be careful not to run out of paper before that gets here :D

Once that new roll of paper arrives though...I think it's time to build some more planes! I've had a pile of servos sitting here waiting and a stack of pre-minwaxed foamboard waiting for me and I've been putting off building because I hate taping up plans so much! Racer, Dusty, 3D, speedster....time to expand my fleet!

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Out of curiosity I just tried printing the speedster plans tiled (4 A1 sheets to print the 2 page plans) and timing it to see how quickly this thing prints.

From when I hit the print button until the printer started doing anything was almost exactly 1 minute. Then right at the 6 minute mark it cut off the first page.

Unfortunately that was as far as I got as the paper ran out before it could even start the 2nd sheet :(

Oh well, guess I won't be distracted by playing with the plotter over Christmas at least :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
It was good luck and a good score...funny thing was a day or two after I got the initial offer one of the YouTube channels I follow had a similar score - only better:

Of course the other downside for me is I now get to spend a vacation day cleaning my office to make room for this beast ;) But that's a small price to pay and my office IS way overdue for a cleaning!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
How do you like that. The other set of ink cartridges I ordered for this beast showed up today. The ones I've been using are remanufactured carts while the ones that showed up today are original HP's - but well past their expiration date (no clue how far past as they took them out of the boxes and just sent the sealed pouches but the exp date is on the box.)

Crazy part - I ordered both sets on the same day but these original HP carts didn't ship until the day these remanufactured ones I ordered off amazon arrived at my house. That wouldn't seem so crazy...except that what I didn't notice when I ordered them is both sets were ordered from the came company and shipped from the same warehouse! Guess they process amazon orders faster than ebay orders!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Crazy super jealous. I've been wanting a plotter for years. To get one free like that is so super awesome!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
My roll of paper should come in today sometime. But Christmas eve I did a bit more work on the plotter. After talking to "the plotter princess" some more I decided I should go ahead and remove the left cover and check out the pen station.

Well, turns out something nasty must have happened to the right pen at some point as it's station was a MESS. Took a full handfull of qtips and a bunch of alcohol to clean off all the dried up nasty ink. Also, found that apparently whatever was living in this plotter had designated the left side for pooping and the right side for peeing because I found a bunch of mouse or rat droppings and more dog food in the left side.

Gave it a good cleaning and finally broke out my air compressor to dust off the rest of it. Looks a lot better internally now!

No broken wires on the left side - but there is one that's damaged and should be repaired. But it's damaged right at the connector and will be a serious pain to fix. Since it doesn't seem to be affecting functionality yet I left it for now with a mental note to repair it down the road.

Just waiting on that e-mail from staples that my roll of paper is ready to pick up. Got one this morning saying it was in town but not at the store just yet. Can't wait to get a full set of plans printed....big question is do I want to do a speedster or a racer next :D

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Out of curiosity how is the plotter attached to the stand? Found a 450C locally on CL but I'm frantically trying to figure out how it comes apart so I can fit it into my car! Need to pick up today. I would imagine they are similar mountings. Torx?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yes, just about everything on this is torx, most of it T15. But a few T8 and T10's tossed in to make things interesting. And lots of screws are different lengths to make it even more fun :D

I just checked the stand attachment and it appears to be 4 T30's on each leg. So I guess they decided to toss in one more size for good measure!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Got it home safe and sound. All put back together. Guy said something was wrong. Looks like I need to dissect the cartridge carrier. I'll keep you posted. Hooked up to an old machine's parallel port like it was 1995 all over again.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Welcome to the old plotter club! If you get it working I highly suggest tracking down a MIO ethernet card for it - made getting mine running super easy! Mine came with a belkin parallel to USB adapter that I assume it was being used with previously. I did plug the adapter in and Vista recognized it as a USB printer...but I didn't go any further with it because the plotter won't fit into the same room as my computer so the USB cable was a bit too short :D

Any problems you have I highly recommend contacting Susan "The plotter princess" at http://www.myolddesignjet.com/ she's super friendly, quick to reply and if you need parts she seems to have the best price around on them. She honestly seems more interested in helping people keep these machines alive than she is in making a buck.

My roll of paper did come in today and it's printing quite nicely:
1538051_10151788369301805_1573686395_o.jpg

Looks like I need to get busy on building :D

I still haven't been able to get it to complete a pen alignment - but the more I print with it the fewer signs of a clogged nozzle I'm seeing so I printed a bunch of plans I've had building up on my drive. It's getting closer to completing a pen alignment though so I think I'm making progress. Probably going to try swapping the carts to see if the problem follows a cart or if it stays with a pen position. If it follows the cart then I'll probably try swapping for one of the expired NOS carts I got - if it stays with the pen position then I'm probably going to try and fix that tricky damaged wire next and try doing another round of cleaning. Honestly though for my needs it's working just fine at this point - it's just me being picky and wanting to see how good it can get that's keeping me messing with it! Well, that and I just love watching it do it's thing - not as entrancing as an old school pen plotter but still kind of magical with the translucent cover on this one letting me really watch the pen carriage go.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
And my pens are aligned! Tried doing another alignment and it locked up on me forcing me to power cycle. When it came back up I tried again - and again it said to service the pens and told me to replace the right pen.

So I pulled the right cartridge and gave it a bit of a cleaning with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol. Then swapped it with the left pen. Ran the alignment again...and this time it said to replace the left pen. Ah ha! The problem does follow the cart! Great sign! Still just for giggles I gave it one more go before opening my other set of cartridges. And this time it went through the alignment all the way!

Printed a demo plot after that and it looks really good. Still a few spots in the higher density areas where I can tell there's a nozzle or two that aren't performing 100%. But vertical lines (meaning those going in/out of the printer not across the platen) look perfectly straight now!

Debating if I should push my luck and try an accuracy calibration next or leave well enough alone since it's working so well :D

One odd thing I did notice - printing out the old Speedster plans the text on the page came out...but the A/B for the folds just came out as a black box. But printing out the plans for the racer the text on the page came out as black boxes and the A/B fold text came out fine. Weird...I figure it has something to do with the fonts used and the way acrobat is rendering things for the printer, probably some setting I can change to cause it to fully rasterize on the computer and avoid that.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have that issue on my plotter/cutter for some of the prints. I was thinking it was on my end but you might be onto something if you are seeing the same thing...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I have that issue on my plotter/cutter for some of the prints. I was thinking it was on my end but you might be onto something if you are seeing the same thing...

The text as black boxes issue?

Yeah, I strongly suspect it's because the printer is trying to render the fonts but doesn't have the font or doesn't have the memory.

Most plotters (this one included) are really designed for vector art not raster art, in fact this one expects to recieve prints in HPGL which is a language designed primarily for vector art. After all these things were originally developed for high precision CAD work. So the driver is actually taking a bitmap and converting it into HPGL that the plotter can accept. I'm still learning the details of this things internals but based on over 20 years of experience with printers (My day job is a web developer but we also do traditional design and work with a lot of printers, and I've had a couple of friends who were professional printers, and I took some lithography classes in college, and since high school when I was head photographer for both our newspaper and yearbook for 2 years I've kind of been the go to guy for printer issues anywhere I've worked....despite my conviction that printers are inherently evil since they're designed to do the downright nasty task of taking things from the virtual world and representing them in the physical world.) Based on that...I strongly suspect the issue is that the printer is trying to rasterize the fonts internally and just isn't able to.

If I figure out a way to avoid it I'll be sure to share...but since it doesn't really bother me much it's fairly low priority for me to deal with. Finding some SMA connectors and building some antennas as well as fixing my "FTDI" cable are higher on my list today because I'm dying to do more experimenting with this openLRS stuff today.

BTW - anyone in my area who wants plans printed just ask. The more I print the better it does so I'm all about printing a much as possible right now :D I'd offer to print and ship for people...but really the cost of shipping wouldn't be worth it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Mine is showing up in the plotter software and mostly shows up as open boxes. I think this is due to the conversion to paths, but I might be wrong. I have also seen it show up in the PDF this way, as the solid blocks, which is why I thought it might be corruption somewhere...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Got a request in for the carriage. Did not have time to rip things apart since I cleaned up Christmas, cleaned the house, bought a new dishwasher, installed it, got ready for a trip to see family tomorrow. Ugh, been a busy day.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Got a request in for the carriage. Did not have time to rip things apart since I cleaned up Christmas, cleaned the house, bought a new dishwasher, installed it, got ready for a trip to see family tomorrow. Ugh, been a busy day.
Dude! Just hearing about your day makes me feel like I need a nap!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, just got done having some company over for dinner. Getting the kids to bed and then I need to go out one more time for something we need at the grocery store. Such is my life these days.

Heard back already! that is service! $50 for the carriage but she wants to try and better diagnose my machine before we decide that is what I need. at that price I'll take two and try and sell one on ebay for the $300+ they go for there.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Told you she was good :D She hooked me up this morning with a manual for my 600 after the website I've been reading it on went dark on Tuesday morning.

I miss the days I could do one thing at a time. My day started the same with Christmas cleaning (5th time I've done it since Christmas day, how can one 3 1/2 year old make that much of a mess that quick?) but thankfully I didn't have to buy and install a new diswasher! Just mow the yard, empty the dishwasher, clean the counter so I could try and do some building this afternoon, tape the plan halves I printed lat night together and then thought I'd get a chance to do some building this afternoon.

But nope. Wife had to work and daughter wanted to play. She did calm down long enough for me to get the plans for the Racer and Speedster cut out and the racer tacked to some foamboard. But looks like I'll have to wait until after bedtime and then clean off the dining room table if I'm going to actually do any building today.

Curious to hear how the repairs on the 450 go!

I only have two minor minor complaints about printing FT plans on this thing:

1) The roll paper is a good bit thicker than what I normally use in my laser and desktop inkjets, while it makes for nice high quality printouts I'm a little worried it may dull my blades a bit quicker when I cut things out. Super minor though.

2) It's so wasteful on paper. Once I cut the parts out of my printouts I had more waste than I did plans, by quite a margin :( A big part of this is I'm having a hard time finding a configuration that will get the plans to rotate before printing so they fit better on the 24" roll. But the bigger issue is just that the plan sheets are so big they won't fit either way on 24" roll paper so I have to use two sheets for each page in the plans and that means big wasteful margins. In the future I'll probably still end up cutting and pasting the pieces of the plans in photoshop to get them to fit better and make more efficient printouts.