NOOB Nation..Building Towards Flitefest 2023

Yankee2003

Don't you absolutely love the unlimited color choices painting this way? I've had zero paint pull up using the samples over minwax coated foam board. Really interested to hear your experience using windex to thin with. Even using water I have drying times under 2 hours still be impervious to tape.
Don't you absolutely love the unlimited color choices painting this way? I've had zero paint pull up using the samples over minwax coated foam board. Really interested to hear your experience using windex to thin with. Even using water I have drying times under 2 hours still be impervious to tape.

Yes! the color choices are endless. The Windex reducer works beautifully. The masking worked very well with virtually zero paint pull up.
Now the take always….
One…I am awful at paint matching. I even took my iPad so I could get a true color picture to match.
Two…..I am awful at creating a camouflage pattern.
Three…Next time instead of using ”standard” width painter’s tape I will use the wider tape with a decent overlap. I also learned to flip the mask over and peel the wax paper (in this case parchment paper) from the back of the tape, rather than trying to peel the tape off the wax paper.
F2B85F38-52F7-4ED1-ADBB-F44CBD91DA43.jpeg
841D1E82-3354-4271-ADB8-307545CDEDA7.jpeg
24E0840E-2300-4E40-966E-D42CF1CC82B3.jpeg
Definitely a positive experience. I will use these methods in the future for sure.
Now I will give it time to dry a few days or so before I paint the cartoonish canopy I made for it.
Until then…
I am going to charge up some batteries and go fly something. It is a perfect day to go out to the field.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Yes! the color choices are endless. The Windex reducer works beautifully. The masking worked very well with virtually zero paint pull up.
Now the take always….
One…I am awful at paint matching. I even took my iPad so I could get a true color picture to match.
Three…Next time instead of using ”standard” width painter’s tape I will use the wider tape with a decent overlap. I also learned to flip the mask over and peel the wax paper (in this case parchment paper) from the back of the tape, rather than trying to peel the tape off the wax paper.
View attachment 230035
View attachment 230036
View attachment 230037
Definitely a positive experience. I will use these methods in the future for sure.
Now I will give it time to dry a few days or so before I paint the cartoonish canopy I made for it.
Until then…
I am going to charge up some batteries and go fly something. It is a perfect day to go out to the field.
That looks awfully good to me! Don't forget to hit it with some clear to seal the latex. I just picked up my colors for the Staggerwing. My wife picked bright orangish yellow with darker orange for the trim. Interested to see how it turns out after thinning.

Tench745

Master member
I think that's a pretty good looking plane, and even better with the camouflage on.
I'll remember that painter's tape and wax paper tip.
3M makes a blue tape for delicate surfaces. I've had good luck with it not peeling off paint, but getting it to stick in the first place can be a challenge sometimes.
I work in theatre and constantly awe at the scenic painters' ability to match colors. It's important to remember that every color look different if viewed on different monitors. Printing the picture out will give you a better reference, but every printer will print the colors slightly differently too. Once you have your physical picture, it's important to remember that the type of light you view it in will make it appear a different color; florescent tends to be greenish, daylight is bluer, incandescent light is more yellow or red. When have had to match colors, I try to look at it in the light the paint will be living in. For a flying model that will usually be daylight. Those scenic painters get a rendering from the designer, then lay a transparency over it and dab test samples right next to the color they're trying to match as they mix the paint themselves.

Yankee2003

I think that's a pretty good looking plane, and even better with the camouflage on.
3M makes a blue tape for delicate surfaces. I've had good luck with it not peeling off paint, but getting it to stick in the first place can be a challenge sometimes.
I work in theatre and constantly awe at the scenic painters' ability to match colors. It's important to remember that every color look different if viewed on different monitors. Printing the picture out will give you a better reference, but every printer will print the colors slightly differently too. Once you have your physical picture, it's important to remember that the type of light you view it in will make it appear a different color; florescent tends to be greenish, daylight is bluer, incandescent light is more yellow or red. When have had to match colors, I try to look at it in the light the paint will be living in. For a flying model that will usually be daylight. Those scenic painters get a rendering from the designer, then lay a transparency over it and dab test samples right next to the color they're trying to match as they mix the paint themselves.

Thank you Tench745. Very good tips on color matching. Next time I will put in a little more research on the color scheme. I was thinking of going to a scale modelers site and see what colors they use. They probably don’t just bring a picture on their iPad. I will have my wife along as well for an extra set of eyes.
Full disclosure, I tried Delicate Frog Tape (yellow) and it didn’t adhere to the surface enough. a bit too delicate. Maybe regular Frog Tape would do a better job at crisp lines. But I attempted a softer line for the camouflage…still need more practice on technique.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
This is my first Nickel on the subject (2¢ doesn't very far any more)
This video convinced me to get started as I reviewed the costs (at the time) and found them accurate but not the best start.
I submit Walmart has Big mats for less than the Art stores, and... you don't need a large one to start... or one at all (cardboard) Adtech Glue Gun has overheated my glue for years. Glue stick from Walmart are the best price for bulk (technically there are glue guns, and glue sticks (small and low temp) at the Dollar Tree. This would be for the "let me see if I want to spend *real* money on this" pricing. Landscaping wire for Pushrods (stolen are free but 100 are $10, Dental floss/picks for horns ($1). (or free un-loaded Gift cards. (or used ones. beware, there are paper ones now) Tape... Dollar tree has Short rolls of thin 3m packing tape... for a get-in project maybe. Needle nose Pliers, electronics screw and ball-hex set. (helpful)
Lastly, and this is the budget buster the TX Rx combo. (for entry seem to be Hands down the FlySky I6x $60 gets you in.
Batteries. $10 for the Tx, $20/25 for a 2200 3s.
So it mostly comes down to Motor ESC prop setup (orange 2212 1400kv with 8x6($) or Better yet APC9x4.5 ($$) are super inexpensive but limited (3S). To Begin and learn with, my opinion they are perfect. ...or step up to a bigger motor (less likely to overheat) for a *little* more
View attachment 228821 View attachment 228820

crud, sorry, did I jump the gun. It is something I always struggle with when enticing lookers to try it for themselves.

Lastly I have heard a number of Plans concerns. some plane plans (if chosen carefully) do not need printing. @jkennedy has a number of pictures on his, the one sheet no waste wing plans are measurement based. so, not needed on all models. Master build... yeah you need the plans printed, (or a kit leftover mask)

all this to say... I think you can do it.
Flightfest 2023. The clock is ticking…..
Correction "FliteFest" and you are right. it sounds slow now tick...tick...tick, but soon it will be, "tick tick tick." but you have the ARCN Support. Good topic, and I will encourage those listening, and reading this to add to this, where they can.[/QUOTE]
Maybe I missed it. But on the majority of these getting started lists. I've hardly ever seen a lipo charger. And that's (for an ok one) around an extra $50. ...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Pro tip on the color matching. so save a few of my blueberry container lids.

Yankee2003

Correction "FliteFest" and you are right. it sounds slow now tick...tick...tick, but soon it will be, "tick tick tick." but you have the ARCN Support. Good topic, and I will encourage those listening, and reading this to add to this, where they can.
Maybe I missed it. But on the majority of these getting started lists. I've hardly ever seen a lipo charger. And that's (for an ok one) around an extra $50. ...[/QUOTE]

Thank you for mentioning that. I bought a charger that can charge 4 batteries at a time. Turns out that it is just about right. When I decide to go to the field it is nice to get everything charging at once. So chargers are a key component for sure.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Maybe I missed it. But on the majority of these getting started lists. I've hardly ever seen a lipo charger. And that's (for an ok one) around an extra $50. ...

Thank you for mentioning that. I bought a charger that can charge 4 batteries at a time. Turns out that it is just about right. When I decide to go to the field it is nice to get everything charging at once. So chargers are a key component for sure.
Without a charger you can only fly once 😂.
And for half the time. Because you never buy a fully charged lipo

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Now the take always….
View attachment 230035
View attachment 230036
View attachment 230037
Until then…
Just learned a valuable lesson in painting with bigbox sample size paint. I thinned the first color with water - went on nice and smooth. After sitting a week I masked and sprayed the second color also thinned with water. Bad news, orange pealed like crazy. Was able to wipe it off and then sand with 600 grit. Tried again but this time thinned with rubbing alcohol - perfect and ready to respray in minutes. Not sure if it was the length between first and second coats or the water used to thin with.

Yankee2003

After trying waterslide decals without any consistent positive results I have sworn it off.
The next attempt at decals was from an idea I got from Richard on The Aviation RC Noob Podcast Discord.
Creating vinyl decals using printable vinyl inkjet paper.
AC3366F9-9A2B-4977-8B7B-841A9DEF9E02.jpeg
This is what I got off Amazon.
DD308CC4-095B-4AF1-9126-DCF0860E5792.jpeg
These are the decal sheets after printing.
25AABD22-2050-45E6-A93F-1695601C0175.jpeg
9FF5C002-6EEC-4532-9243-EE6D2A71AF8F.jpeg
These are the decals on the plane.
They really need a good surface to get good adhesion. I did not do a very good job of surface prep. That will be remedied on the next go around.
John Overstreet did a good video on vinyl decals including surface prep and tips on how to fix the edges that pull up.
He used the following glue that I picked up at Wal-Mart for $2. Enough for many aircraft. I’ll work on mine a bit since my surface prep was naively inadequate.
1AC12783-FD78-4A64-A00B-FF61401DB6FE.jpeg
The sheet of inkjet vinyl was less than $2 per sheet.
So quick math would indicate that the decals I put on this plane costs slightly over $4.
Takeaway ….. very good low cost decals. You can expect good results if you do the proper surface prep and follow the few simple tips that John Overstreet goes over in his video.
Good aircraft markings for a low cost that fit with the economic scale of a foamboard aircraft.
Last item is to paint the canopy.

Yankee2003

Canopy painted.
Again….glueing, and finishing methods that go way back to the priming stage leaves a lot to be desired. But as I mentioned at the beginning I was not going to stress over “lessons learned”. That is the purpose after all, to continue to move forward and improve.
So here it is…
83886952-EDCF-4EA8-85BE-1BE925B3ABCD.jpeg

I taped it off with Tamiya modeling tape you can find on Amazon…many widths are available….I believe this is the 6mm width.
Then frog tape to attach the aluminum foil masking.
Sprayed a base coat of black.
9CE26655-3FFA-42B3-BF01-E8E9402C55AB.jpeg
Then tried to lighten it up gradually towards the top….need practice in this area for sure.
Then gloss coat over it to enhance the “canopy glass effect”.
572D43E2-0589-47C9-B5B7-7F7BF0A894DF.jpeg
C37D500C-7E41-4E83-8A3E-6E349D4ED0F3.jpeg
All that is left is to reinstall my power pod and balance it.
Well of course add some dual rates, expo…etc….
Then toss It in the air.
Plus the Bloody Baron I built while airframe paint was drying….
2C21843D-4573-47D8-9254-EB2896174D13.jpeg
Should hold me over until the next airframe is ready.
Overall really happy with the things I learned and was satisfied with a final product of ….Looks good…built cheap.
On to a Master Series Spitfire…😬. Maybe I’ll build a Bronco while I’m working on it. It’ll help keep me patient and attentive during the Spitfire build. I have to really try harder to clean up my build techniques early on.
Should be fun.
FF 2023 9 months and counting…..

Tench745

Master member
If you have a covering iron, hitting the vinyl with the iron on lower heat helps the glue kind-of mesh with the paint for good adhesion. Obviously, test a sample to make sure it doesn't hurt your ink, paint, or vinyl.

Yankee2003

If you have a covering iron, hitting the vinyl with the iron on lower heat helps the glue kind-of mesh with the paint for good adhesion. Obviously, test a sample to make sure it doesn't hurt your ink, paint, or vinyl.

Awesome…thank you for the suggestion. Always looking for tips like this.
I appreciate you taking the time to help.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
an idea I got from Richard on The Aviation RC Noob Podcast Discord.

Psst - You can find listen to the podcast over at www.aviationrcnoob.com , and Richard Joy is on Episode 52.

Overall really happy with the things I learned and was satisfied with a final product of ….Looks good…built cheap.
On to a Master Series Spitfire…😬. Maybe I’ll build a Bronco while I’m working on it. It’ll help keep me patient and attentive during the Spitfire build. I have to really try harder to clean up my build techniques early on.
Should be fun.
FF 2023 9 months and counting…..
Good work on the Spit. The end product is worth being proud of.