Noob prop question

wrench797

Well, I mic'ed the prop saver hub and found a drill bit that is about .002 bigger than the hub. I used a tap wrench to spin the drill bit by hand and open up the hole in the prop. It removed a single, thin curly of plastic in each flute of the bit and now the prop fits perfect on the prop saver. I used the prop tonight and it worked great. I do want to get a balancer but there is no noticeable shake or vibration. Problem solved apparently. Thanks again for all the help guys. Oh.....my son got some video of tonights flite. It's a bit boring in some spots so feel free to fast forward. http://youtu.be/GYcqL8y1bOg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That's awesome Wrench! Good to see you claim some airspace!

I've gotten lucky on some props -- whole batches that were perfectly balanced. More often than not a new prop can benefit from a small piece of tape on one blade or another . . . or sometimes a large piece of aluminum tape :mad: (at least that's rare).

Go ahead and get a balancer when you can (and put it to good use), but In the mean time if the blades are whirring and not buzzing, you're probably be just fine.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I don't use a prop balancer. I just hold onto the nose of the plane tight, gun it up to full speed, and see how she feels. If it seems off, I add a small piece of tape to one side of the prop, if it got worse, then I remove the tape and add tape to the other side. But that's just me.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I don't use a prop balancer. I just hold onto the nose of the plane tight, gun it up to full speed, and see how she feels. If it seems off, I add a small piece of tape to one side of the prop, if it got worse, then I remove the tape and add tape to the other side. But that's just me.

A lot of people use a burnt out electric motor clamped in a vice -- just pop out either the coils or the magnets, whichever's easier. Gotta burn up a motor for that, but it'll happen to us all, if we stick to the hobby long enough.

"Dynamic" balancing using the motor takes a few moments longer in trial and error (watch those fingers!), but it'll get you close enough for anything but a camera platform.