Noob Questions - Assembly...did I buy the right one etc

InWyo

First things first. I'm building the storch with my son and it had a 750 and 1200 kv motor recommendations. I picked the number in the middle and bought this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-bl2726-960kv-bl20a-combo.html

The prop size recommendation and the and model weight recommendation seem to be okay but just wanted to check to make sure all is well.

Second question: There appears to be two different types of adapters and I also bought a 3mm spinner with a collet...my ninja Google skills seem to be failing me, but I can't find any tutorials or explanations on any of these adapters or event how to mount the motor to the firewall. Anyone care to point me to an article (preferably photo journal or illustrated) that shows me when do use the different mounts?

Last question:
So in the absence of other instructions, I used some small bolts to mount the motor to the fire wall and used provided screws to mount a rather large aluminum prop adapter (seems like it would add a lot of rotational inertia, but I think it's the right prop adapter). I used loc-tite (blue...seems like a good idea). Is there any chance that the loctite could spill into the bearings? I failed to check the motor before securing all of these things then after gave the prop a spin, and it didn't spin as smoothly as I anticipated, so how free do these things spin?

Lickinlimes

I was just reading through and sadly I don't know the answer to all of these questions except one about how freely they spin. I recently built a multirotor and the new motors I got didn't spin freely, they almost "snapped" lightly of course between the outer pads on the outer casing of the motor. I'm not sure what it's called but there should be some magnetic resistance on newer motors I assume. After a while though, they started to spin more freely.

Ace2317

First of all, welcome to RC, one of the few realms where Google can be less than useless.

As far as the spinner, I'm not your man to help you. But for mounting the motor to the firewall, your motor should have a mount and screws. Use those four screws to attach the motor mount. Then drill four holes in your firewall matching up with the four holes on the mount. Then simply screw them in.

I think they cover it in the swapable build video. .

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
With that style motor, typically the motor is mounted to the inside edge of the firewall wihtt he motor shaft passed through and mounted to a prop adaptor on the other side . . . .but that's not going to work for the storch. the storch (well the FT power pod, really) is designed for the motor to be mounted to the firewall on the outside, with the prop shaft on the opposite side . . . but all is not lost, as you've discovered.

That motor has what is refered to as a short-shaft prop adaptor. It is supposed to be bolted onto the motor bell, opposite the mounting bracket, and yes the motor *can* pick up a lot more rotational momentum from it, but it's not that big of a deal. It's actually a good thing! The bolt-on short-shaft adaptor puts any side-stress from, say, a nasty crash on a thick prop adaptor and then on the motor bell, not on the thin spindly motor shaft (like it sticking out the other side). This transmits all of that side-force into the motor's bearings which are designed for just such a thing . . . instead of bending a motor shaft ending your flying until the motor is replaced/repaired :(

This kind of adaptor is VERY popular with multirotors, since they're generally nothing but wires and motors anyways ;)

As for the shaft sticking through the firewall into the pod . . . don't let anything rub against it, but otherwise it won't harm anything.

For mounting, so long as your screws aren't going so deep into the motor housing to damage the windings, what you've done is just fine. The X-mount typically bolts to the back of the motor and then in turn is mounted from the front into the firewall with small wood screws so the motor can be installed and removed from the font. if you don't have any toruble getting to the screws on the back putting bolts in form the back still works.

As for your 3mm spinner . . . 3mm? that would be tiny! Most true spinners I've seen are in the 40-100mm range (usually on the inch marks), but I have seen quite a few nuts with pointed ends callled "spinners". at 3mm, I think it's refering to the shaft the collet is sized for -- it would slip over the shaft you've got sticking through the firewall then the recieveing sleave is slipped over the collet withthe flat side out. prop goes against the flat side of the sleave and any washer over the prop. add on the nut and tighten down until nothing can slip on the motor shaft and the fan is ready to blow. In this case it might be usefull if the motor is moved to somethign else, but as long as it's on a power pod, this adaptor will remain unused.

As for the loctite, once it's dried it's not going anywhere. I suppose the question is did you spill any inside the motor?