Noob troubles: my "color" camera is only showing b&w

BigShooter

I'm completely new to FPV. As of now, I have only gotten to the point of hooking all my components up on the bench for testing. I have one of the DAL 700tvl board cameras that is PAL mode. My tx/rx is a generic Chinese 5.8ghz units ( no brand, but the model numbers are similar to some Boscam one's I've seen: RC5808 rx, and TS58200 tx). The transmitter is listed as NTSC/PAL on the video format.
I have it all hooked up, and though the image is very sharp and clear, it is in black & white.
My question is, is there a way of switching between color modes on these types of cameras? I know I have seen ones that look very similar that say they are, but I know nothing about them.
Any help will be appreciated!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Where are you testing your camera? Some cameras will have the color go black and white if there is not enough light. Outside in the sun it should do color. Also make sure that you have the TX and RX channels perfectly matched. Being on the channel next to the right one can sometimes give video, but with poorer colors.

BigShooter

Where are you testing your camera? Some cameras will have the color go black and white if there is not enough light. Outside in the sun it should do color. Also make sure that you have the TX and RX channels perfectly matched. Being on the channel next to the right one can sometimes give video, but with poorer colors.
I was initially testing it indoors. However, I took it all outside and had the same results. I flipped through all the various channels and selected the one which seemed to be the best (really, they're all about the same). I guess it is all just randomly listed as "channels"; but, my tx is on what the paper work is calling "CH 4" and the rx is on "CH 3". Although they came as a set, all the combinations that work have different "CH" numbers. Could it be that they are just different enough to work, but cause the condition you mentioned?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yea make sure they are the exact same channel number. The other combinations will lose signal as you get farther away. I also notice your camera is in PAL mode. If your viewing screen/monitor is not also PAL then that could cause the black and white. See if you can switch the camera to NTSC mode or try a monitor that is PAL if you have one.

BigShooter

Yea make sure they are the exact same channel number. The other combinations will lose signal as you get farther away. I also notice your camera is in PAL mode. If your viewing screen/monitor is not also PAL then that could cause the black and white. See if you can switch the camera to NTSC mode or try a monitor that is PAL if you have one.
Yeah, after reading your responses, and looking around the web, I think the problem is the PAL. I'm gonna order me up another camera in NTSC. That will be cheaper than changing monitors

Paul-H

Yep a PAL camera on a NTSC system will only show B&W I bet there is a menu option or button on the transmitter or receiver that is used to change the system.

BigShooter

Yep a PAL camera on a NTSC system will only show B&W I bet there is a menu option or button on the transmitter or receiver that is used to change the system.

As far as I know, the RX/tax is suppose to be either/or. There are no switches, externally anyway, to select it, so I assume it is automatic. I had mistakenly ordered the camera in PAL, only knowing at the time that it was suppose to be higher resolution. My monitor is one of those strap-on headrest type affairs for a car DVD player.. I am guessing it is the "weak link" in the equation.