Noobie question; motor rotation CW or CCW

BoustropheDon

I need an Emax 1804 for a mighty mini, but as these are quad copter motors the come in CW and CCW types. So the question is: Which way are you looking at the motor when they say it rotates clockwise? From the front or the back? Which way is usual for planes? My IC engines rotate as I look at them starting them, anticlockwise, but they have right hand CW threads that self tighten.

And what is the difference in construction of the motor, or is it just the thread on the end that changes?

Thanks.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Look from the front.

From the "TOP" on a multirotor.

Standard rotation for planes is CCW.

Any 3 wire electric can rotate either direction changeable by swapping any two wires connected between the ESC and motor.

Threading (left or right hand) is the only difference. CCW motors have right hand threads and CW have left hand threads.

It is easier to just forget about CW and CCW and use regular CCW rotation motors with right hand Nylon insert locking nuts.

Thurmond

Last edited:

tubasteve

For the cw, you need cw and so on. It's base on direction motor will be spinning. If the manufacture labeled wrong, you want the motors to spin on opposite the direction of screwing prop on.

Screenshot20110808at11.23.37AM.png

Last edited:

BoustropheDon

The problem is some Ebay sellers refer to the direction of rotation and some to the thread. This is not helpful.

Edited to add: It would be helpful if manufacturers would give CW and CCW motors different part numbers.

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Brushless motors will generally spin equally well in either direction.
The Prop Adapters are CW and CCW to avoid self-loosening as you mentioned.
The Props are also either CW or CCW (numbers always face out).
To change the direction that a motor spins, just swap any two of the wires from the speed controller (assuming brushless).

Best regards,
PCH

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The problem is some Ebay sellers refer to the direction of rotation and some to the thread. This is not helpful.

Edited to add: It would be helpful if manufacturers would give CW and CCW motors different part numbers.

Those e-bay sellers are in error if they are describing anything but the threads for a BRUSHLESS motor. A brushless motor is actually a three phase AC motor with the ESC providing the 3 phases. All brushless motors will run equally well in either direction.

Right hand threads on a motor "require" CCW operation to prevent the prop nut from loosening.
Left hand threads "require" CW operation for the same reason.

Like I said just buy right hand threaded adapters if you can and use Nylock nuts. Problem solved.

For Brushed motors it generally does matter which way it turns.

Thurmond

Last edited: