Now I need a receiver! Doh!

Mad_Mechanic

A lot of good information. Pressalltheknobs obviously has a valid point. My chosen transmitter is ACCST protocol. That limits my options. FDS also has a point. Perhaps a better one. Drop in a module and I can fly just about any receiver! I like that! I found this one:

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR...Xl0ghuthdxIK1ShoCNCgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

It's banggood, so a month for shipping, that's OK. That's not necessarily where I'm getting it from. I just can't search around much. I'm trying to upload video to youtube and I want to give it as much bandwidth as I can.

What it means though, is if that is the correct module for my trans, it is less than fifty bucks. I gave myself a budget of $300. $250 for the trans and a multiprotocol module for less than $50 and boom! I'll have a trans that has everything I want and can grow into AND I can basically buy whatever rcvr is cheap and fits my current needs. How can you beat that??!!

The iRange IRX4 is basically only sold through Banggood. Yes you can get them on ebay as well, but it is almost exclusively sold through Banggood.

Do some more reading on that module. I'm not saying don't buy it, many people have them and love the flexibility that they give you, but as I understand it you might have to re-flash the firmware on it to get ALL possible functionality from it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A lot of good information. Pressalltheknobs obviously has a valid point. My chosen transmitter is ACCST protocol. That limits my options. FDS also has a point. Perhaps a better one. Drop in a module and I can fly just about any receiver! I like that! I found this one:

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR...Xl0ghuthdxIK1ShoCNCgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

It's banggood, so a month for shipping, that's OK. That's not necessarily where I'm getting it from. I just can't search around much. I'm trying to upload video to youtube and I want to give it as much bandwidth as I can.

What it means though, is if that is the correct module for my trans, it is less than fifty bucks. I gave myself a budget of $300. $250 for the trans and a multiprotocol module for less than $50 and boom! I'll have a trans that has everything I want and can grow into AND I can basically buy whatever rcvr is cheap and fits my current needs. How can you beat that??!!

Personally, I agree this is the way to go. The X9D+ is a great radio (I've had one for two years) and the SE just adds on the nice touches that I did myself as aftermarket mods. Adding in the IRange or some other multi-protocol module from flea-bay or bang-me-up-good expands the radio to the point where it can control practically anything except Futaba - and hey, there's a module for that too :p

For cheap park-flyer 4 channel receivers, I've bought and used two five packs of these directly from LemonRx https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=90 - never had a problem with any of them until I tried to fly in a Flite Fest combat with 80-100 planes in the air at once. DSM2 protocol sucks for that scenario - just too much crowding of the frequencies and DSM2 doesn't hop enough to be safe.

Now I've been getting these cheap $8 FrSky compatible 4 channel receivers and they have all worked perfectly. https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-M...jBx32eAhNEAQYAiABEgLKvvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

For larger foamies where I need 6 or more channels but don't care about telemetry, I bought 4 of these receivers and they are all working great

https://www.banggood.com/DIY-FRSKY-...-p-987247.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

However they appear to be out of stock at the moment. Here's the one I would probably use for a replacement: https://www.banggood.com/RX-F82DA-8...-p-1232673.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Now for any of my balsa planes, or if I want telemetry on a model, or if I'm going to fly it at FliteFest, I use FrSky receivers, and almost always buy them from https://alofthobbies.com/ - lately I've been getting more of the S6R cause at $28 it's really hard to beat with the built in stabilization system and is only $0.25 more than the X6R without stabilization. Otherwise, sticking with the X series receivers keeps telemetry flowing, and the D series are still great solid radio connections without the telemetry (think FliteFest combat :D )

One other thing about the iRange and other DSM2 / DSMX modules - some of them don't do "model match" and require you to rebind to the model every time you want to fly it. Check the comments and make sure that's not the case with which ever one you use cause it's a pain in the butt that is completely avoidable. Personally, I got around it by making my own DSM2/DSMX transmitter module using the radio chip from an old DX5 transmitter - but there are good modules out there.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not to throw a big wrench in the mix...... but here it is. Every single DSMX lemon rx I have used so far without a remote rx has glitched out on me at short and long range. Same rx tho with an added remote rx has no issues. If it was just 1 I would chalk it up bad antenna placement, or 1 faulty unit. But this has been 3. 2 in the same plane, but completely moved the rx and rewired the power system with a new esc when I switch recievers. Take this info as you will. I am still using lemon recievers, just with a remote rx.

Interesting...Dumb question, but what transmitter are you using? I'm wondering if it's something there, rather than with the receivers, if every single receiver has glitched. One, maybe two, but 3 of the same receivers? I'd wonder if it was the transmitter, or maybe bad power connection from the ESC?

Mad_Mechanic

So I was just reading the most recent post from @rockyboy and he prompted me to go back and re-read about the iRange IRX module a little bit more closely. Specifically his statement that it will allow you to talk to pretty much anything except Futaba.

The short version here is he is correct, with one minor caveat.

What I just discovered is that there are two versions of the IRX4 module. There is the IRX4 module that @buzzbomb linked, but there is another version on Banggood called the IRX4 Plus. And this 'Plus' version costs a whole $4 more.

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR...4NTc3ORACGgJCVCIGRkJUX1BEKAA&cur_warehouse=CN

Now, the standard version that buzzbomb linked will NOT do ANY Futaba protocols, keep in mind that Futaba has 4 different protocols now: FASST, FASSTest, S-FHSS and T-FHSS. (why do you do this Futaba?...)

Just as @rockyboy mentioned, there is a module made by Futaba that will get you access to FASST, these are the now discontinued TM-7 and TM-8 modules. These are also pretty rare to find on the used gear market.

However, the IRX4 Plus module states that it DOES work for Futaba S-FHSS, but that's the only Futaba protocol it works with.

Is it worth the extra $4 to get a couple extra protocols, you will have to decide on that.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh yeah - splurge for the $4 and get the plus module! :D

Not that I would suggest buying Futaba receivers - they are a little too rich for my blood - but you never know when you will find a great plane at a swap meet or garage sale or estate sale all ready to go with receiver and everything!

Also, I found a thread on RC Groups confirming that the Plus module does do model matching (and telemetry) so you don't have to rebind every time you power up. Very nice feature!

Kendalf

@rockyboy Thanks for the links to the FrSky compatible receivers from Banggood. What binding protocol do those receivers use?

I've got a QX7 and 3 of the older V8 series receivers on order. Got the V8 rather than the newer D and X series RX because of the lighter weight and because I didn't need telemetry (these are going on foamies). I like the size of the newest RX4R and RX6R receivers.

Mad_Mechanic

Yeah, take it from someone who knows first hand (me), Futaba brand receivers are NOT cheap. The 7-channel FASST protocol R617FS receiver that came with my T7C transmitter is worth ~$50 by itself!

I can get an FrSky TFR6 receiver (6-channel) for ~$25 and it works just as well.

At this point in the hobby, with the technology that is available, I hate to say this but I don't see the point in buying expensive stuff like that anymore. Plus, it just adds to my anxiety of loss if I was to suffer a fly-away.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
t.

Just bear in mind that the iRangeX 4in1 is not legal to use in the US because it has no FCC certificate. Same goes for Orange TXs last I looked and really also for Jumper. Jumper do sort of have an FCC certification but if you read the tests they used to support it, it's bogus because they say that 3 of the 4 RF chips are disabled...clearly not the intent and not why people buy their TXs. That is at least bending the rules and at worst fraudulent. There are other reasons to be less then thrilled with how Jumper go about things.

Consequently, while the Multiprotocol project is very cool, using these packagings of it could put you at risk of fines and not being covered by insurance so it is not wise to use them for anything other than small BNF type toys indoors or in close proximity. What the project is really good for in any case. In any case use good judgment as to what you fly where.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy Thanks for the links to the FrSky compatible receivers from Banggood. What binding protocol do those receivers use?

I've got a QX7 and 3 of the older V8 series receivers on order. Got the V8 rather than the newer D and X series RX because of the lighter weight and because I didn't need telemetry (these are going on foamies). I like the size of the newest RX4R and RX6R receivers.

All of those "FrSky compatible" ones bind using the D8 mode (non-telemetry) on the Taranis.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
t.

Just bear in mind that the iRangeX 4in1 is not legal to use in the US because it has no FCC certificate. Same goes for Orange TXs last I looked and really also for Jumper. Jumper do sort of have an FCC certification but if you read the tests they used to support it, it's bogus because they say that 3 of the 4 RF chips are disabled...clearly not the intent and not why people buy their TXs. That is at least bending the rules and at worst fraudulent. There are other reasons to be less then thrilled with how Jumper go about things.

Consequently, while the Multiprotocol project is very cool, using these packagings of it could put you at risk of fines and not being covered by insurance so it is not wise to use them for anything other than small BNF type toys indoors or in close proximity. What the project is really good for in any case. In any case use good judgment as to what you fly where.

Good point - and a good reason to get a HAM Amateur Radio Technician class license so you can legally use these transmitters so long as you stay in the appropriate power levels (less than 1 watt, which almost all of them do). Also, you learn a TON about radio waves and dealing with transmitter / receiver / antenna equipment that is really useful in the hobby.

Good article on the HAM stuff over here: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/how-to-get-a-ham-radio-license

Mad_Mechanic

Yeah, I did not know that the iRange IRX4 modules were not FCC approved. That is certainly a big deal for those of us that are in the US.

I will need to remember to advise people of this in the future.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Oh yeah - splurge for the $4 and get the plus module! :D

Not that I would suggest buying Futaba receivers - they are a little too rich for my blood - but you never know when you will find a great plane at a swap meet or garage sale or estate sale all ready to go with receiver and everything!

Oddly enough, Futaba protocol radios seem to be all that the guys in my club are getting rid of! Most of the pilots have switched over to Spektrum for various reasons (a lot of the guys are getting into the Bind n' Fly stuff now, for example), so they put their old gear up for sale...

Headbang

Master member
Interesting...Dumb question, but what transmitter are you using? I'm wondering if it's something there, rather than with the receivers, if every single receiver has glitched. One, maybe two, but 3 of the same receivers? I'd wonder if it was the transmitter, or maybe bad power connection from the ESC?
Not a power connection, 2 different planes with different electronics. Transmitter is a dx9 black. And they do work, just once in a while in flight it all goes to fail safes. And same rx with a remote rx attached never has an issue. What ever it is, makes it so I do not trust lemon without the remote rx.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Not a power connection, 2 different planes with different electronics. Transmitter is a dx9 black. And they do work, just once in a while in flight it all goes to fail safes. And same rx with a remote rx attached never has an issue. What ever it is, makes it so I do not trust lemon without the remote rx.

If the lemons you are using have a single monopole or dipole antenna, then they need a satellite to get antenna diversity. Older Spektrum RXs used that kind of antenna...either a single wire or two wires that are supposed to be in line. Newer Spektrum models have "diversity" antennas where there are two separate wires that should be installed at 90 degrees. FrSky and other brand have used "diversity" antennas for a long time because it is much less expensive and more reliable than a separate satellite. I see that newer Lemon RXs also have this. Newer higher priced Spektum TXs have TX diversity which should help with the polarization but ideally you need more than one antenna in the receiver system or your effective average range will be reduced.

If you have an RX with the single antenna and don't have the satellite installed then you will be more vulnerable to drop outs as the plane turns with respect to the TX because it is likely the single antenna will get shadowed by the plane and because the antenna will not match the TX polarization. Can't say for sure if that is what you experienced but it seems like a reasonable explanation.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The multiprotocol module looked awesome. However, illegal is bad. I've got two of these on order:

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx6r.html

There are a couple posts that list really small receivers that will work that have to ship from China. I'll be ordering some. My time with my son home is limited. It's worth the money to be able to fly with him before he leaves and buy the more expensive receivers.

Later on down the road, I think I'll take the advice and get a HAM radio license. I was a 31C in the the U.S. Army Signal Corps. Single Channel Radio Communications Equipment Operator. It's already been drilled into my head. I sat at an AM radio on a mountain in Panama and talked to an Army base in Kentucky. On a secure line. With signal-burst. On a frackin' tele-type! Doublet antenna, on a mountain, in a bamboo forest, at frequency and bounced off the ionosphere and the water. Yea, I can do the license. I've just got to really have the need to. Tedium is not my thing. Also, I'm thinking there may be other ways to get the license, other than at a flying club.

However! That being said. Get awesome frackin' trans? Get the license? Get the module? Buy nearly whatever receiver I want. Yep. That's a road worth travelling. :)

slipshift

buzzbomb, the Technicians test is fairly straightforward and I don't think you will have any trouble, given your experience. Just make sure you have the current test book to study from, don't just get one from the library.
Good Luck!

Jim KG5AQP