Number of Rx channels for Tricopter with FPV & Headtracking?

GliderGuider

Hello everyone,

Yep, another newbie question. I'm thinking about building a Tri and might eventually try FPV. Simply want to clarify how many rx channels I'll need for a tricopter with FPV headtracking?

Thanks in advance.

ZoomNBoom

You need at the very least 4 channels for any multirotor, just for control (pitch/roll/yaw/throttle). Realistically you want at least an additional channel for flight mode (acro/angle/horizon) and you may want one or two more if you want things like beeper, altitude hold or GPS hold/RTH.

As for headtracking, if you are going to control a camera with tilt control, thats one more channel, if it also does panning, thats another channel.

GliderGuider

Thank-you both; it confirms what I understood to be the case.

I'd been getting confused from reading other forum posts where people have described their setups, and listed a 4 channel rx, but then also mentioned they used Fatshark Trinity-equipped goggles (for their pan and tilt or gimbal). This must mean they're using a separate rx for their FPV gear, or do some gimbal systems incorporate their own rx? Or maybe I've just completely misunderstood those posts....

ZoomNBoom

That "4 channel" rx is probably a frsky D4R, X4R or similar. It has just 4 servo connections, but if you use CPPM or SBUS (single wire to a flight controller that supports it) it does 8 channels. Or even 16 for sbus if Im not mistaken.

GliderGuider

In fact, ZoomNBoom, at least one of those posts did indeed mention the FrSky D4R. Considering that I use FrSky myself, you'd think that this might have occurred to me (duh-oh!). ;)