Orange receiver dead?

Kjolly

Hello,
I have an orange rx R610 v2 receiver that I believe I burned by plugging in the power incorrectly. Is it that easy to break these? Is there any way to repair once this has happened?

I bound the receiver, got it all working, then at one point plugged power reversed (black cable in middle, red cable at “bottom”). From then on it stopped working and appears to get hot when plugged in.

I’ve already ordered replacements, but thought I’d check here to see if it’s salvageable.

thanks!

Kent
an rx noob.

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
that shouldn't have done anything. i have lost count of the number of times i have accidentally plugged my servos in upside down. now, it is an orange Rx so you can also only assume so much from one of the cheapest Rx's on the market. i love them, use them almost exclusively, but also understand they are disposable. if it is heating up, i would guess there are other issues.

good luck,

me :cool:

Bricks

Master member
Hello,
I have an orange rx R610 v2 receiver that I believe I burned by plugging in the power incorrectly. Is it that easy to break these? Is there any way to repair once this has happened?

I bound the receiver, got it all working, then at one point plugged power reversed (black cable in middle, red cable at “bottom”). From then on it stopped working and appears to get hot when plugged in.

I’ve already ordered replacements, but thought I’d check here to see if it’s salvageable.

thanks!

Kent
an rx noob.

I am a little confused your power wire ( red ) should be in the center of your connector, this is done just for the reason you did, in case it happens to get plugged into the receiver wrong. If the power wire is not in the center better make some changes or you will burn up your next one, and your next one, and your next one..

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @mrjdstewart, plugging a servo in backwards is harmless.

There is a difference between plugging a servo in backwards and reverse polarity.
If you did indeed put the red on the bottom and black in the middle, you likely fried the Rx. The old 9x transmitter were notorious for reverse polarity damage.

Kjolly

Ok, thanks for replies. The battery has a two prong connector so I can easily connect incorrectly. Too many connector types in this hobby! Anyway, good to know it is the power burning it and not some other issue with the receiver, will make sure not to do that again (or convert battery to three prong connector to make it less accident prone).

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
Ok, thanks for replies. The battery has a two prong connector so I can easily connect incorrectly. Too many connector types in this hobby! Anyway, good to know it is the power burning it and not some other issue with the receiver, will make sure not to do that again (or convert battery to three prong connector to make it less accident prone).
I might be reading this wrong but tha battery is supposed to connect to the ESC not directly to the reciver, unless its less than 5V. I don't know, I'm a noob too.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I might be reading this wrong but tha battery is supposed to connect to the ESC not directly to the reciver, unless its less than 5V. I don't know, I'm a noob too.
You are correct, most receivers operate on 5v, a few may be happy at a higher voltage. Using something like 12v on a Rx will most likely damage it, even if the polarity is correct.

Any 5v source will work. For bench testing, I use an old USB charger. Just cut off the end & solder on a lead from a broken servo.

Kjolly

The specs on this receiver say it should take up to 9.6 volts (I’m using a 2s LiPo that puts out 7.4). I don’t think I use an esc (this is for plane elevons).

For others with fried receivers and patience/time I found this vid for repairing:

k

Bricks

Master member
If you could please explain how you have everything hooked up as I am baffled by your statement "this is for plane elevons ".

Kjolly

I’m building this model:
https://www.northcountyflyingmachines.com/product/moth/

So I have
two servos (Kst is brand) for the wing elevons

A mini receiver which is the Orange rx r610v2. I had a hard time finding a mini Dsm2 receiver that fit the size specs for the plane (see web link). The equipment the manual recommends (a berg4L) is for a 72mhz system so I can’t use with my radio.

and a battery which is an ovonic air 850 mah. Which has what I believe is called a jst connector(the red one). I realize this is more battery than I need but figured it would be useful for longer flight times, or at least not worrying about running out. I had a hard time finding a small flat nimh flat pack that seemed appropriate.

Radio I have is a spektrum dx8.

Adding a few pictures.

Attachments

• A6BBC813-B9FE-42F1-B504-E2BB4E6066B8.jpeg
    A6BBC813-B9FE-42F1-B504-E2BB4E6066B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A74AB4E2-B5A6-439A-9829-2890A97CE9B8.jpeg
    A74AB4E2-B5A6-439A-9829-2890A97CE9B8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0AA7362C-7184-4F17-8678-7BAACD23FFE0.jpeg
    0AA7362C-7184-4F17-8678-7BAACD23FFE0.jpeg
    991.6 KB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
may i ask why you are doing it this way instead of just using the BEC in your ESC to power everything?

you need to have some way to power and control your motor so you have to use an ESC, what are you using?

edit-- never mind i just saw you are building a glider....

curious,

Bricks

Master member
That is where all the confusion was coming from being a glider but your battery is what 2S or 3S cannot tell by pics. That JST connector to the receiver is not a good fit, me I would take a servo connector to connect the receiver and solder on a JST connector to make this impossible to happen again, and have a much better connection. A LIFE battery would be a much better fit for this application it is what I use in all my planes that do not have an electric motor and BEC in other words and IC engine..

Kjolly

Yes, that is right. It’s just a glider with no engine so no esc (just learning what an esc and bec are just now). Battery is a 2S.

Soldering a servo to jst connector is a good idea, will do! And will look at life batteries.

Thanks again for all the help!

K

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i personally would try and find a 3A micro BEC and solder a pig tail off main battery plug. this is your best bet as the BEC is being powered off all the cells. you could also go with a micro BEC off the balance plug. i use this when flying FPV and barely need anything to power my camera. it is too small for you Amp wise.

in this pic you can see the direct pigtail (top), also 2 different balance plug setups, 2S and 4S (couldn't find my 3S).

pigtail you can run whatever voltage/amps that your BEC can handle and can obviously make it much smaller/lighter. the little micro-balance plus are 5V but only 1A. not enough to run an Rx and 2 servos. it is so small you could run 3 of them off a pigtail? just a crazy thought...:unsure:

20200726_153944.jpg

micro 1A BEC can be found..... HERE.

i also use these 3A which would prob be enough if you think you have room. this would be easier if possible but more $$$...... LINKY.

good luck,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
actually, duh. you don't need a pigtail. you don't have a motor. :sneaky:

you can just solder from the BEC directly to your plug. easy peasy. that would make using 3 - 1A micro BEC's a pretty small bundle. one for each servo and one for the Rx. and yes, solder servo leads on the output side. if you don't have enough dead servos to cut leads off, try.... THESE. you can cut them to your length, then have extra wire and the other end still still use.

ok, gotta go. women, i swear.... :rolleyes:

laters,